Good side view dash cams

LMJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo (not installed yet)
Am running the Viofo A129 Duo in a full sized SUV and happy with it. What are some good side view cams that are small and sort of discreet that I can mount? Not looking to spend a fortune but focused on price to value/performance as you can see I'm a Viofo user not Thinkware etc. I would like the cams to be small. The purpose is to catch people tampering with the car, door dings and other BS events that happen in parking lots etc.

As said by Harsh.
Or you could wait a little and use one of the pending dual remote cameras as side cameras instead of front & rear, that's my plan as my 2 side cameras are aging.

Viofo are probably also working on a dual remote system, but not a whisper heard from them.

Nothing special about side cams- anything will work there. But to do it well you want to address mounting, powering, and FPS being high enough to reduce motion blur which there will be a lot of at highway speeds or with oncoming traffic. Mobius, F1, B1W, and 70Mai are small and hide well with good mounting schemes for most cars. Dual-remote cams are even better with this (but have just begun to come onto the scene with the needed qualities). Where these are limited is in FPS which is generally 30FPS. 60FPS will reduce motion blur but comes with the cost of loss of brightness in low light situations. In town my cheap AR0330 1080P 30FPS cams do decently but are not much at night, showing mostly headlights or darkness. Something like a pair of A129 singles would give far better vids but mounting and cost gets in the way.

Powering while parked and how they record when parked will be your biggest consideration. Motion detect and G-sensor parking modes may not catch small events or come online fast enough to get needed info on large events. My experiences with the B1W show it is robust enough to record continuously even in higher heats. The IMX323 sensor does god in low-light,and the cost is low with value high. They will probably prove ideal for you. The 70Mai is battery-equipped but might do similar for less cost if you don't have really warm summers and AFAIK nobody has tried continuous recording with one yet so that might be an issue. Personally I think the B1W is a very good overall choice for anything but a primary front cam where you might want something better. It's not bad there, just that a little more money gets you much better vids which up front is very important.

Phil

Am running the Viofo A129 Duo in a full sized SUV and happy with it. What are some good side view cams that are small and sort of discreet that I can mount? Not looking to spend a fortune but focused on price to value/performance as you can see I'm a Viofo user not Thinkware etc. I would like the cams to be small. The purpose is to catch people tampering with the car, door dings and other BS events that happen in parking lots etc.

Lots of good discussion and examples in THIS lengthy older thread if you haven't seen it previously.

Mobius 1 and B1W are both good options for discreet side cameras, depending on your mounting requirements. I'd recommend continuous recording rather than any fancy parking modes for side cameras. Mobius offers low bitrate so you can get a lot of video on the card. The B1W is also fairly low bitrate.

Where they will struggle is poorly lit locations. Without the benefit of headlights they will not see very much in the dark. If you can fit another IMX291 camera like the A129 Duo you will get better video in low light. It's not so discreet though.

Dashmellow has linked to a very good thread which is worth reading.

Forgot to add that the Mobius 1 C2 has a very useful wide angle FOV which is particularly good for a side camera.

Back