Good viewer/editor for Windows 8+ for Thinkware?

Paul Mumby

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey, so playing with my thinkware F750, just did 3 hours of driving with recording. Now playing with the files...

So the official thinkware viewer doesn't support hidpi... (I have a laptop with hidpi display, and the app UI is very broken)

So I tried a few others. Most seemed a bit convoluted to use. The best by far (Easiest and did everything I wanted) was the Registrator Viewer. But that one is throwing lots of errors for me.

Initially it was out of memory errors, like crazy. Couldn't view even a short video longer than 5-6 minutes without out of memory error. Then disabled it's built in splitter, and that helped, now it plays, but it required installing seperate codecs, and now I still get errors every time it switches files (every minute) which is irritating. Also it can't actually save, because that appears to require the inbuilt splitter again...

I'm just looking for something I can load up a few hours of driving, splice it together into one file, and re-save. (preferably also supporting speedup so I can do some time lapses) but even without that I could at least transcode it to something smaller, and archive the footage to document my trips.

For now I'm stuck storing raw files as archive which will consume space fast.

(I'm leaving for several weeks of driving, putting like 15,000 km on my truck this month and want to document the trips)

Ideas/suggestions? :)

Ok I seem to have solved some of the problem with Registrator Viewer. Installing the codecs, rebooting, restarting the app, and then setting the settings as follows:
in Playback -> Splitters:
- Uncheck Use Internal
- Check Use Preinstalled

in Playback -> Decoders:
Choose both of the "never" options

in Playback -> Renderer:
Choose the EVR Option (was pre-selected for me)

This allows the videos to load and play just fine in Registrator Viewer, but I still can't "save" or "export" a segment (stitching together the videos) so I'm stuck still with the 1min segments.

Also I noticed Registrator Viewer doesn't appear to recognize the G sensor data from my camera, but it does get the GPS, Speed, Odometer, and Heading info just fine.

Anyone else have any experience with this software? Or know a contact for the author so I could work on debugging some of these issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that also interpret the metadata from the cam? (location, speed, gsensor, and so on)? (or at least embed the metadata in the new combined video so that something like registrator viewer could view it still?)

No I don't think it brings any of that stuff over. It uses ffmpeg under the hood and I don't think it has the ability to do that. You can reach out to the guy that did the script, he was pretty good in trying things out to see if it would work.

Back