Gopro Hero 3 now a dash cam?

watchingyou

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been trying to use my Gopro 2 as a dashcam with limited results - you gotta remember to turn the bloody thing on (and off!) but now I see that the hero 3 has a loop record mode: From the PDF:

Looping Video mode allows you to record a continuously looping video that overwrites itself until you press the button to stop it. Looping Video is not available if Protune mode is turned on.
Looping Video options inlcude:

Max video
5 min video
20 min video
60 min video
120 min video
(Default)
Camera records until memory card is full, then overwrites with a new video.
Camera records for 5 minutes, then begins a new video, progressively overwriting the previous 5 minute video.
Camera records for 20 minutes, then begins a new video, progressively overwriting the previous 20 minute video.
Camera records for 60 minutes, then begins a new video, progressively overwriting the previous 60 minute video.
Camera records for 120 minutes, then begins a new video, progressively overwriting the previous 120 minute video.

Can someone explain if this is indeed recycle recording like in a dash cam as I can't really understand the function from the PDF? Why would one want to record only 5 mins then delete and start recording, seems like it should fill up the card no? But still this is the answer to my prayers as the GOpro footage is pretty good and with a little help from an arduino it will act like a dash cam by staring with the ignition and going off when the car is turned off.

Get your self a dedicated camera like the Finevu CR500HD it records in HD and has loop recording that will
automatically delete the oldest video. The way it looks like the go Pro handles the file is it only has 1 file then deletes it and starts recording again, if you have it set to 20 Minutes and you have a issue at the 19 minute mark chances are it will wipe out the file before you can stop it.

I ordered my camera from Blackboxmycar.com Alex the main sales rep is very helpful in answering any questions you might have. I am replacing a cheap Chinese camera I am looking forward to better quality video and no gaps in the recording segments.

Not sure I'm ready to throw $300 at a camera just yet. It would be nice to have the following:

1) some type of warranty - 1 year is good
2) some type of support
3) something that is reliable especially if you buy it off some dodgy Chinese vendor whom you will probably never hear from again
4) optical image stability

A lot of the cams I see have none of the above. Sure in a year or two we'll have some legit vendors who have direct relationships with the cameras you sell. Sure sony or panasonic will get into the game soon, NAB 2013?

Based on the PDF, the Gopro Hero 3 has loop recording now but no auto start and auto stop. Some people complain about the loop recording since apparently it records a file at the set length than deletes it and starts recording again. Seems a bit strange but I haven't seen it in action.

The Finevu CR-500HD comes with a 1 year warranty and the quality of the Camera is great its the new version of the CR-300HD that has been around for a while and has ad good reviews. I have done a lot of research befor deciding on where I orderd from and what camera I bought. I made sure they were a authorized dealer and that they took care of any issues juking the warranty period. I agree $300 is a lot of money to spend on a camera but or it's features build quality and Video quality I believe it's worth the $325 I paid. It has no built in GPS (it's an external addon) but its small and being external it won't over heat the camera like other models with built in GPS units do.

You can always order a second mount and move it between cars and its Korean buil and Finevu has a good rep on standing behind thier products when bought from an authorized dealer (no eBay dealers are authorized)

I will be posting my review in the finevu section of the forms once,I have had the camera for
a while . Why not email Alex from www.blackboxmycar.com and ask him any questions you have
About the camera and his warranty and support. I have no regrets or bad feelings about my purchase
even though I have never dealt with Alex before and spending a lot of money on a camera due to feedback from other forums.

I am already thinking of ordering a second camera to put in a rear facing camera.

I am going to call my insurance company and ask if they offer discounts like they do in Europe for having a camera installed full time, over there they get a 15% yearly discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like the cameras are almost there, simple stuff like a lens hood seems like a no brainer and would cost nothing really but today on my drive home half of my video was useless because of the sun and the lens not having a little lens hood. And the fact that my camera have big gaps between the clips, no regular consumer would put up with that but these little cameras are niche products for now, at least here in the US, so when we start seeing them in Best Buy etc they will probably of sorted all of that out.

On my next trip the the mountains I will add a little ND lens / polorizer to my $60 camera and see how she performs, will be shooting protune on the gorpro too over the pass.

Back