Gopro Hero 5 - when ?

DennisOlof

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Anyone know if there will be a new gopro version coming out soon, or during 2016 ?

Or updated versions of the current lineup ?

The old gopro hero 4 versions had some problems or at least users reporting of overheating,
but with these new Ambarella chipsets it looks like this could be a thing of the past, so nice
that they have been able to move to 14nm chip size and such a low power consumption, as the
old gopro hero 4 chips had 32nm and consumed much more power.

http://www.ambarella.com/news/91/74...K-Ultra-HD-SoCs-for-Sports-and-Flying-Cameras

I am thinking

Gopro Hero 5 Black, with Ambarella H2 chipset
Gopro Hero 5 Silver, with Ambarella H12 chipset

Just like the current gopro hero 4 lineup, but updated hardware, and perhaps some better
dashcam functionality. Also these new chips does have image stabilization.

Me personally would like to see a extra micro USB port with a special adapter cable
that would give you microphone input and headphone output. Nice if you want
better sound and using it for recording video and monitoring the sound being recorded.

At least the current versions of the gopro can take external microphone with the adapter.
Better than nothing I guess, and I do hope they at least keep that with the new versions
coming out soon.

http://www.cnet.com/products/gopro-hero5/

Looks like we have to wait for a long time, as I guess gopro does not want to introduce another
low price camera. Seems we will have to wait until the second half of 2016 before these new
products are out.

Last edited:
Yeah i think the #4 cow will be milked for a while yet, and they might be a little more carefull before they launch the next one.
To me there seem to have been a larger and larger ammount of ppl having problems with ther Gopro 3 and 4 cameras, to be honest i think they will branch out soon and have a expensive lineup for professional broadcast, and then a cheaper lineup to keep the competition from other brands at bay.

If you can get a person to pay 4-500 dollars for a high end camera, you can allso get him to pay 6-700 for the honor of him calling himself a semiprofessional.
And then the rest of us can get 2-300 dollars cameras that really all we need for our modest needs.

Yes, I understand. The thing is if you are going to dish out 500 dollars on a action cam, like gopro 3 of gopro 4 they should work better and have
less problems, at least when it comes to hardware. They where to early with 4k, now the chips are more ready and the heat issue will not be a
problem, so I guess we will see the products soon enough.

I do hope that the new cameras have LCD screens, one of the reason I like gopro 4 silver the most, you need that screen. At least for a actioncam
if you want to use it to record stuff, like with a DSLR. For a dashcam, you do not have that problem, but it is still nice to have that screen.
It is really great to have.

I did read they are discontinuing the Hero and a few others

Hero5 will not use the Ambarella chipset.

Reactions: Mtz
Oh ?

What chipset then ?

I was under the impression that Ambarella is top of the line, sort of ?

I was under the impression that Ambarella is top of the line, sort of ?

I think that was the case for quite some time, I suspect a lot of people perceive Ambarella to be the best because that's what GoPro uses, maybe Ambarella will lose a bit of the credibility by association they enjoyed if GoPro are switching to a different platform, time will tell I guess

jokiin yeah, you might be right. Could be that the cost is just to high for the chip plus SDK.

I do not know the economics but I do understand that there are costs to develop a new product, support, SDK and all that,
it has to be a viable product that you can sell and make money from, otherwise why would you do it.

I am not even sure we will see a gopro hero 5 anytime soon, and it might just be 4k 30fps anyway, and not a huge update
for the hardware, a lot of asian actioncams have shown that people do care about price and there is a limit to how
much they will spend on a product. And the gap between gopro and the others is not that big any more.

If you want to stay competitive in the market you have to think about all the aspects, not just producing a super product
that costs huge amounts of money, how would buy that. Same thing as buying a luxury wristwatch, not many do so...

Am very hopeful that the next version will get 4K 60fps! As at least 60fps is almost essential for good VR video, and 360 video needs highest resolution you can get your hands on.

But of course I suspect Hero 5 will be too pricey for me to buy 6 of when it is announced anyway :-/ As you need a lot of GroPros for a 360 rig!

jokiin yeah, you might be right. Could be that the cost is just to high for the chip plus SDK.

I do not know the economics but I do understand that there are costs to develop a new product, support, SDK and all that,
it has to be a viable product that you can sell and make money from, otherwise why would you do it.

I am not even sure we will see a gopro hero 5 anytime soon, and it might just be 4k 30fps anyway, and not a huge update
for the hardware, a lot of asian actioncams have shown that people do care about price and there is a limit to how
much they will spend on a product. And the gap between gopro and the others is not that big any more.

If you want to stay competitive in the market you have to think about all the aspects, not just producing a super product
that costs huge amounts of money, how would buy that. Same thing as buying a luxury wristwatch, not many do so...
If the hypothetical new model would just live up to the hype of continous 4k shooting without overheating and going " tilt", that would be enough!

That will be +700 dollars with tax and other duties here. :rolleyes:

If only a gopro camera was subsidized like a tesla car is then i would go for the gopro 5.
Every tesla car i see drive by i feel part ownership is as i have helped pay for it via my tax, the tasla cars will be taxed a little soon and the tax will get higher and higher, but up untill now they been tax free and thats a lot when you know that buying any other car here you get 1 car but pay for 3 cars ( or at least pay for 2 cars )

The rich sure do take care of ther own :(

If only a gopro camera was subsidized like a tesla car is then i would go for the gopro 5.
Every tesla car i see drive by i feel part ownership is as i have helped pay for it via my tax, the tasla cars will be taxed a little soon and the tax will get higher and higher, but up untill now they been tax free and thats a lot when you know that buying any other car here you get 1 car but pay for 3 cars ( or at least pay for 2 cars )

The rich sure do take care of ther own :(
"green energy" related power and products could not exist without taxpayer subsidies,yes?
Mike

True, while Denmark is Big and a trendsetter in wind power / green energy, it was all started off of goverment subsidies in the 80ties.

And our oil and gas activites in the Danish part of the north sea is and have allways been like the oil/sand outfits in the US, only worth it with a really high oil price, so allready now there is talks of shutting down all together out there.

We are now +50% on green energy here, wind mostly, but even here the wind dont allways blow, only place here where that happen is in our parlament with all the hot air they let out.
Allso got a little solar and gas production from waste and manure, but still burning a lot of fossil fules too to make power and burn our waste to make steam for heating our towns.

You do not want to rely on Russian gas and oil :rolleyes:

True, while Denmark is Big and a trendsetter in wind power / green energy, it was all started off of goverment subsidies in the 80ties.

And our oil and gas activites in the Danish part of the north sea is and have allways been like the oil/sand outfits in the US, only worth it with a really high oil price, so allready now there is talks of shutting down all together out there.

We are now +50% on green energy here, wind mostly, but even here the wind dont allways blow, only place here where that happen is in our parlament with all the hot air they let out.
Allso got a little solar and gas production from waste and manure, but still burning a lot of fossil fules too to make power and burn our waste to make steam for heating our towns.

You do not want to rely on Russian gas and oil :rolleyes:
Isn't there still heavy European reliance on Russian energy?

Some i think rely a lot of it, but not really sure, i would imagine the old eastern countries use it a lot, and there allso is a pipeline that terminate down south of Denmark somewhere.
Here is a map that tell how much countries rely on Russian gas, and rest assure the EU is trying to cut back, cuz you cant trust that mad dog they have in charge over there.
Map is % of that countrys total gas use, Poland for instance is low cuz they burn brown coal that pollute a lot.

Russian gas account for 6% of the total energy concumption in the EU
gasafhangighed9812739123.jpg

Last edited:
Back