Gopro Hero 5 - when ?

Map is % of that countrys total gas use...
I'm not quite sure what that map shows, but I am fairly sure it is wrong for the UK, but it seems that we actually have no idea how much Russian gas we use:
Some reports claim Russia supplies 15pc of the UK’s gas and others suggest the country is currently importing none from Moscow’s state-controlled energy companies.
We also export some of our own gas production which makes things even more complicated, it is even possible that Russia buys some of our gas exports and then sells it back to us without it ever going near Russia!

I suspect the Map includes gas that we produce and use ourselves, it is possible it includes gas from renewable sources.

Some i think rely a lot of it, but not really sure, i would imagine the old eastern countries use it a lot, and there allso is a pipeline that terminate down south of Denmark somewhere.
Here is a map that tell how much countries rely on Russian gas, and rest assure the EU is trying to cut back, cuz you cant trust that mad dog they have in charge over there.
Map is % of that countrys total gas use, Poland for instance is low cuz they burn brown coal that pollute a lot.

Russian gas account for 6% of the total energy concumption in the EU
gasafhangighed9812739123.jpg

Some Americans here would like to increase massively our oil production and sale to Europe to reduce that oil cudgen that he holds over their heads. The hammer and sickle will always try to control the continent regardless of who the strong man is at the moment in time!
As I read the rules of DCT, politics is a touchy subject, but I have many questions for someone who lives in Europe. I'll PM you with my email address if that is acceptable.
Mike

Yeah i am a little o_O too, we too have our own north sea gas, but okay on the page where i got the image it allso said the Danish numbers was after 2011 before that we did not use Russian gas.
I have a feeling we sell our own expensive gas cheap and then pile on a lot of taxpayer money to buy much more expensive Russian gas, at least thats the logic i think prevail over here :rolleyes:

Too bad the Norwegians screwed us out of the sweet spots in the north sea, those guys up there god it made.

You just PM avay TwoBlues, but be warned i am the som of one of the top commies in Denmark, tho it matter little as nobody voted for those guys since the late 70ties or somthing.
And i myself sure as hell never voted for them or the other parties they branched out into when the party fell apart, but my old man he still as red at they get :D

And i have to respect my old man for that, at least he dident sell out as many of the other guys to keep in politics and the easy money for little work.

Actually while my old man was sitting in the town counsil in Aarhus for the commies i had a "better dead than red" T-shirt and was reading soldier of fortune magasine :)

Last edited:
You just PM avay TwoBlues, but be warned i am the som of one of the top commies in Denmark, tho it matter little as nobody voted for those guys since the late 70ties or somthing.
And i myself sure as hell never voted for them or the other parties they branched out into when the party fell apart, but my old man he still as red at they get :D

And i have to respect my old man for that, at least he dident sell out as many of the other guys to keep in politics and the easy money for little work.

Actually while my old man was sitting in the town counsil in Aarhus for the commies i had a "better red than red" T-shirt and was reading soldier of fortune magasine :)
I know nothing of politics across the pond.

Hmm I am not so sure, seems Ambarella and Qualcomm in competition for chips. It would make sens for Gopro to stay with Ambarella as they have provided
good chips in the past for gopro. I guess it all comes down to price in the end.

I do believe that we might get Gopro 5 Silver and Gopro 5 Black. Where the cheaper version only does 4k 30fps, and the more expensive one can to 4k 60fps.
Does seem logical but how much more can they do, they might win in the spec wars, but are people really going to pay a high premium for the gopro
cameras when you can get 1080p 60fps in any camera, and these are cheap to.

Where gopro are expensive, 4k would be the only edge, but will that generate enough sales to justify a product like that, I do not know if
the gopro 4 lineup was a success, I would think it was not, as they have had to let people go. Not competitive enough, to high price
and other problems. The Gopro Hero Session was OK but had to high price initially, and most seem to think the standard gopro cameras
are better anyway.

I do not think a majority of people would pay over 300 USD for a action cam, you are pushing it, and the camera has to be something
great in order to justify that price. For 600 USD you can get your hand on a DSLR, yes not a action cam but still it could be of more
use to someone to have that, instead of a specific action cam only device.

I can not find any info on qualcomm chips, but ambarella site has clear info on their new chips, sounds great but at what price ?

I don't believe they would have made a change just because of price, my guess would be that it's more related to functionality, Qualcomm are experienced in different types of connectivity that Ambarella have no experience with, the Chinese are chasing this market and raising the bar on video quality in their products, GoPro need to stay ahead of the game, they need something more than just video to do that

Laying off employees doesn't seem a hallmark of an innovative company.

Laying off employees doesn't seem a hallmark of an innovative company.

GoPro aren't a manufacturer in my eyes, they're a marketing company that uses the camera to achieve what they want to do, much like Red Bull isn't a drink company, that's just the platform they market from

Reactions: Mtz
GoPro aren't a manufacturer in my eyes, they're a marketing company that uses the camera to achieve what they want to do, much like Red Bull isn't a drink company, that's just the platform they market from
I know that they had plans to branch out to other media.

I know that they had plans to branch out to other media.

they had visions of being a content provider and having a GoPro TV channel, inspired by the RedBull channel perhaps, I see a lot of similarities between the two companies

Yes, I understand. The thing is if you are going to dish out 500 dollars on a action cam, like gopro 3 of gopro 4 they should work better and have
less problems, at least when it comes to hardware. They where to early with 4k, now the chips are more ready and the heat issue will not be a
problem, so I guess we will see the products soon enough.

I do hope that the new cameras have LCD screens, one of the reason I like gopro 4 silver the most, you need that screen. At least for a actioncam
if you want to use it to record stuff, like with a DSLR. For a dashcam, you do not have that problem, but it is still nice to have that screen.
It is really great to have.

The Question is why would you dish out 500$ for a action cam if you are not a professional with a big budget ?
I have the xiomi yi with A LOT of accessories for 150$ and it makes very nice footage.

The Question is why would you dish out 500$ for a action cam if you are not a professional with a big budget ?
I have the xiomi yi with A LOT of accessories for 150$ and it makes very nice footage.
In the not too distant future we will have affordable 4-8 k resolution in television sets, 4k monitors are fairly reasonable now, cable channels will provide the higher resolution programming. An action cam capable of 4k will provide memories in the future. When I was young we only had lesser resolution and photos of the family.

In the end it always comes down to economics, the right price, performance and quality will sell lots of cameras, but is that what gopro is about ?

I do not know, one thing is for sure, they are not a company with a monopoly on action cams. And you can only innovate so much, you can not
sell products people do not want, as there is no market for it. And if the majority of people are happy with action cameras that you can get
under 300 USD, well then there is no market for a camera that is more expensive, unless it is for something special. But then it becomes a
marginalized product with a tiny amount of users, that works but then gopro would have to make major changes to the company.

Anyway, I would hope for a hardware improved Hero 5, with 4k capability and LCD screen, plus some other tweeks. More or less a Gitup2
but that can do 4k. Will cost more but that is about the only market left that gopro has a monopoly on.

In the end it always comes down to economics, the right price, performance and quality will sell lots of cameras, but is that what gopro is about ?

I do not know, one thing is for sure, they are not a company with a monopoly on action cams. And you can only innovate so much, you can not
sell products people do not want, as there is no market for it. And if the majority of people are happy with action cameras that you can get
under 300 USD, well then there is no market for a camera that is more expensive, unless it is for something special. But then it becomes a
marginalized product with a tiny amount of users, that works but then gopro would have to make major changes to the company.

Anyway, I would hope for a hardware improved Hero 5, with 4k capability and LCD screen, plus some other tweeks. More or less a Gitup2
but that can do 4k. Will cost more but that is about the only market left that gopro has a monopoly on.

I think everyone is exited how much go pro will be able to push their technology. But despite their big budget I don't think it will be something truly revolutionary. The feature I'm most exited about is optical stabilisation which is one of the only things I didn't see on any other action cam

DennisOlof
Gopro's founder and billionaire Nick Woodman was a surfer who tapped into a desire of Americans to "Gopro". Pevly has a good article showing the early development of the brand! There is also the " look what I have and you don't" bluster, why else would you waste 5 hundred bills that you don't have so you charged it!
We also want to " keep up with the Jones: new car,boat,etc."!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well I do not want to keep up with the Jones, I do not care about new cars, boats etc. In other words I am not jealous of
rich people nor do I care what they do, just as I do not bother with celebrity's and all that.

But that probably puts me in a minority group, as I suspect most people do aspire to own as much stuff as possible (or money
for that matter). I just find that pathetic, sure money is nice and can make your life easy, but it will not make you happy and it can not solve all your problems for you, there are things you can not buy for money.

Anyway, perhaps I am waiting for hero 5, or I will opt for mobius2 (when it is out) as a dash cam and then gitup2 as action cam.
It depends on price and is a hero 5 will do 4k 30fps and such, I have not decided if 4k is something I need, the only sure thing is
that

4k clips shoot outside on youtube or downloaded clips, are AMAZING.

Ambarella introducing the new SOC > Ambarella S5 (april, 2016),

Ambarella S5 Features:
  • Ambarella low-power architecture combined with 14nm FinFET technology enables 4Kp30 encoding, including DDR, at less than 1.4 Watts
  • H.265/HEVC Main/Main10 Profile Level 5.1 encoding up to 4Kp60 with SmartHEVC™ low-bitrate streaming
  • H.264/AVC Baseline/Main/High Profile Level 5.1 encoding up to 4Kp120 or 8Kp30
  • Multi-streaming with on-the-fly settings for resolution, frame rate, quality and transcode
  • Sub-LVDS/SLVS-EC/MIPI®/HiSPi™ sensor interfaces configurable as up to 4 independent interfaces
  • ISP with line-interleaved multi-exposure HDR MCTF 3D noise reduction, High ISO low-light, defog and contrast enhancement
  • Multi-imager support for up to four 4K sensors with stabilization, de-warp and image stitching
  • 180/360° de-warping with multiple windows, electronic PTZ and rotation
  • 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU with floating point, NEON SIMD

http://www.ambarella.com/news/94/12...ies-to-the-Professional-Surveillance-Industry

sasfnf.jpg

Back