GoPro Hero 6 as a dashcam

benjos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ8 Pro, Rexing V1P Max, Dome D201, Xiaomi Yi
I had one shortly but I returned it due to the black screen and software issues (crashing).

The Hero 6 is not suitable as a dash camera because it does not power on when power is supplied via the USB type C cable. The "Loop Recording" feature is not like a dash camera; "loop recording" only records the last 5, 20, 60, or Max minutes and it only saves if you press the shutter button again. If a person using this mode got into a severe accident and is unable to press the shutter button to save the video, then the video will be lost. When using Loop Recording, the ProTune features are disabled (the image stabilization is part of the ProTune). From what I read, once files are saved, loop recording will not overwrite saved files so you'll eventually have to clean up your memory card or format it again.

There is a setting to make the shutter button turn on the camera and start recording. This is kind of useful for a dashcam but you may forget to turn it on or turn it off. The voice activation feature is nice too but you may also forget to turn it on and start recording using your voice. Voice activation defaults to only being usable while the camera is on; there is also a setting to make voice activation for "GoPro turn on" in which the battery will last up to 8 hours while the camera is off and listening.

The auto rotation feature is nice if you would use your camera upside down and rightside up in different scenarios without having to switch it in the settings (e.g. bike helmet uses the camera right-side up but dash cam is upside down).

I experienced another Hero 6 crash after changing resolutions and recording short tests at my desk.

On Android phones, the GoPro App requires Google Play Services to be installed; most Android users will have this enabled but I do not. The first time I ran the app, I got a warning to enable the service but I backed out of it and I was able to run the app and change camera settings. After the App did some kind of update, then I was no longer able to run the app without Google Play Services.

The Quik app is kind of pointless with HEVC files since you cannot preview the video; you have to download the entire video to the phone to view it. While downloading, the app crashed and the GoPro crashed.

After using the Hero 6 for about 30 minutes, I noticed the LCD screen was stuck at a black screen. I could still record and hear the beep noises but the LCD would not display any more (it would display a dark gray screen like it was powered on). Turning it off and on did not fix the problem. Taking out the battery and putting it back in resolved the issue.

Also the battery door had issues on the first time I used it where the release button would get stuck and the door would not close; this issue happens frequently.

I tested with a Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB microSD and the Hero 6 firmware version was 1.10.

I did not test the camera for a long period of time or with high heat.

Also the skeleton case does not work with the USB door open; you would have to take off the USB door but it does not look easy to take off; it looks like it would break if I were to bend or twist it.

Attachments

• 1127172232small.jpg
    1127172232small.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Do you have anything good to say about the most expensive dashcam available?

Surely there is some explanation for:

1127172232small-jpg.34766

:confused:

Generally speaking action cams aren't optimum for use as dashcams and the reverse is true as well. They're each designed and intended for different purposes and each does best in it's own specialty. There's a few cams which do both jobs well but none are GoPro models.

Phil

Do you have anything good to say about the most expensive dashcam available?

Surely there is some explanation for:

1127172232small-jpg.34766

:confused:
I saw a youtube video where the poster said his usb door fell off, so it is possible to take it off but it does not look convenient to take off or put back on.

The highlights of the Hero 6 are the great video quality and HEVC compression. No other dash cam has HEVC at a resolution higher than 1080p.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Not to mention-what a thief's target it is! BTW the 6 overheats like a winded athlete!

I saw a youtube video where the poster said his usb door fell off, so it is possible to take it off but it does not look convenient to take off or put back on.

The highlights of the Hero 6 are the great video quality and HEVC compression. No other dash cam has HEVC at a resolution higher than 1080p.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Mobius 2 has HEVC,but same as you said,its highest resolution up to 1080p;

Back