GoPro Hero 9 Review & Samples

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
The new GoPro 9 marketed as "More Everything" is an interesting approach as it has solved some of the nagging issues of the GoPro 8 and comes with some true upgrades such as the front facing LCD a large 20mp image sensor making it much more better for taking photos, a considerably larger battery for more runtime, a better engineered media mod, even better stabilization, horizon lock and the 5K resolution for more details.
But will it be a worthy upgrade? Let's find out together through a a series of video reviews and tests.
In today's part we'll unbox it, go though the initial setup, update the firmware, check some of the new features and do some comparisons with the "old" GoPro 8

Entitled: "World's Most Versatile Light" went through it's proper review, you can check bellow if it's worth it or not.

The Media MOD brings extra functionality for you GoPro 9, you get an HDMI port, 2 cold shoe mounts, an external mic input and last but not least an improved microphone array that lest you choose front shotgun mic and rear mic, thus improving sound quality.

Testing out the 5K resolution of the GoPro Hero 9 in Linear lens mode with hyper smooth enabled and horizon leveling while riding my Fiido D2 eBike. The video was not color corrected or adjusted in any way it just went through a render with the free OpenShot to cut and adjust the wanted sequences.

A side by side comparison between of the image stabilization capability of the new GoPro Hero 9 Hypersmooth 3.0 with and without Horizon Leveling feature activated, the Hero 8 Hypersmooth 2.0 and the Xiaomi Mi 8 with "EIS" and fitted on a budget 3-axis Blitzwolf gimbal.

Last edited:

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Another media mod,,,,,, i am surprised. :eek:

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Bigger dont matter to me, at least as long as it is not a whole lot bigger, but from what i can see from pictures ASO the 9 are only a little larger than the 8, i am not sure how it relate to the insta360 one R.
Lets hope they can save the flop that was the media mod for the GP8, personally i think action cameras should have or support BT microphones, clamping things on or plugging things in are stupid in my eyes.

OP
TechTronic9000

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
Bigger dont matter to me, at least as long as it is not a whole lot bigger, but from what i can see from pictures ASO the 9 are only a little larger than the 8, i am not sure how it relate to the insta360 one R.
Lets hope they can save the flop that was the media mod for the GP8, personally i think action cameras should have or support BT microphones, clamping things on or plugging things in are stupid in my eyes.

Well personally I use the media mod a lot, I don't vlog and I don't care about the fake shotgun microphone. For me it's perfect to use the "rear microfone" while I do my eBike / eScooter reviews. Rgardles of how fast I ride and regardless of the wind I get super good sound of my voice, a problem i was having heaps of trouble to solve with older action cameras, external microphones, dangling wires etc. As for the size it's not a lot bigger, but it also accommodates a larger battery and if you don't use the new front screen you get better battery life.

OP
TechTronic9000

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
**added the media mod video in 1st post.

OP
TechTronic9000

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
Testing out the 5K resolution of the GoPro Hero 9 in Linear lens mode with hyper smooth enabled and horizon leveling while riding my Fiido D2 eBike. The video was not color corrected or adjusted in any way it just went through a render with the free OpenShot to cut and adjust the wanted sequences.

OP
TechTronic9000

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
A side by side comparison between of the image stabilization capability of the new GoPro Hero 9 Hypersmooth 3.0 with and without Horizon Leveling feature activated, the Hero 8 Hypersmooth 2.0 and the Xiaomi Mi 8 with "EIS" and fitted on a budget 3-axis Blitzwolf gimbal.