Gopro Hero VS AEE S71

JJsuton

Reaction score
Country
United States
A comparison on Gopro HD and AEE S71 action camera at 720p and 1080p.

YouTube isn't great for comparisons so I'm not really sure what can be seen here, I have a couple of AEE cameras and they're quite good I think, overlooked in most markets as they don't throw tons of money around like GoPro do but certainly worth considering

Why did they compare this S71 with an old gen Gopro? I am guessing that is Gopro HD Hero which is the first gen model right? Shouldn't they compare with a Hero 4 or at least a Hero 3?

Why did they compare this S71 with an old gen Gopro? I am guessing that is Gopro HD Hero which is the first gen model right? Shouldn't they compare with a Hero 4 or at least a Hero 3?

there are some other tests online between them, the S71 has been around longer than the Hero4 though so maybe not available at the time this one was done, not sure

there are some other tests online between them, the S71 has been around longer than the Hero4 though so maybe not available at the time this one was done, not sure
Not really, AEE S71 is first available for sale in Amazon in June 2014, Gopro 4 is also released last year too, so I don't see the point of comparing S71 with a first gen Gopro of several years old.

Not really, AEE S71 is first available for sale in Amazon in June 2014, Gopro 4 is also released last year too, so I don't see the point of comparing S71 with a first gen Gopro of several years old.

I don't know when it was on Amazon but it was made before that, I'd say that point of that particular test is it's probably the cameras that person owns, as mentioned there are already reviews v the other GoPro models anyway https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aee+s71+vs+gopro+hero+4

You are probably right that the person probably only own those two action cams so that's the only comparison he has to post. However it doesn't really prove much of a point, as you have said there are other comparison with newer Gopro which is more relevant to potential buyers of action cams.

I guess there may be some relevance to someone that owns either one of those cameras, it's not for everyone though, as I mentioned I have a couple of the AEE cameras and they are quite good, popular in some countries, virtually unknown in others, probably more to do with the GoPro marketing machine than anything else though

Last edited:
Right on the money-This is an inaccurate comparison!

You are probably right that the person probably only own those two action cams so that's the only comparison he has to post. However it doesn't really prove much of a point, as you have said there are other comparison with newer Gopro which is more relevant to potential buyers of action cams.
I think AEE cams are grossly overpriced!

and you don't think the same of GoPro?
Seeing as how you have to stop recording when in 4 k for the cam to cool off, and you must have ten batteries on your vacation, and the Gopro website advised you to use a lesser res.- absolutely over priced! But they spent many millions on hype to make sales, and needed that price point so that Nick could buy a new Gulfstream jet!

Seeing as how you have to stop recording when in 4 k for the cam to cool off, and you must have ten batteries on your vacation, and the Gopro website advised you to use a lesser res.- absolutely over priced! But they spent many millions on hype to make sales, and needed that price point so that Nick could buy a new Gulfstream jet!

Hello,

Old thread, new guy.

I've been running gopros since the Hero 3 came out.

Hero 3+ (sold)
Her0 3+ Black (sold)
Hero 4 Black
Hero 4 Black
Hero 5 Black.
Hero 5 Black Ribcage

In the last couple years I have recorded hundreds, maybe even a thousand hours in 4k and never had one shut off due to heat. Now to be fair, this probably has to do in how I used my cameras. I generally record either mounting them on drones or externally on my vehicles. So their basically air cooled. I've never had an issue walking around with one either. The only time I've really had issues with gopros turning off is when I've used them for dash cams. Gopros will power down around 165F which is easy to happen with the sun blaring down on them inside a vehicle. This isn't all that difficult to over come however, I just attach a micro USB fan to the gopro and problem solved.

As for batteries:

4 X Hero 4 Black standard batteries
3 X Hero 4 Black standard backpacs
2 x Hero 4 Black 2500 mah backpacs.
4 X Hero 5 Black Standard batteries

So I have just under 10 batteries for my Hero 4s and only 4 batteries for my Hero 5s. Now I don't always bring all my batteries with me and I don't use the backpacs every time I record. Example, the backpacs want fit my Luxebell cases, gimbals, drones etc. So that means I only have 4 batteries for some situations. I'm not sure what to say other than I'm probably good about maximizing my battery usage but I don't have issues with power. It's nothing complicated, I bring enough chargers/cords to simultaneously charge all my batteries at once.

External Power:

2 X 10,000 mah External Power supplies.

These are used more for 24 hr time-lapse videos but can be used to recharge batteries on the go or rigged to vehicles for longer run times....I don't like stopping.

Usage:

We travel a lot as mentioned and when I'm through with a trip I will have recorded 64gb-1T worth of video/image files. I have 6-64gb cards and 2-128gb cards and on long trips will carry a 2T or 3T external portable HD. I will back my cards up to the external drives, charge my batteries, and go again. I don't normally sleep until I get home lol

Conclusion:

Is the Gopro the best action camera on the market, who knows. Gopro basically created the action cam market but new cameras are introduced all the time. I don't have a lot of time to review and evaluate them all. I stick with Gopro because it's the best camera for what I do. If they come out with a better camera and accessories tomorrow, I may consider it.

What I do:

I'm a Photographer who plays around with videography.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNbql23vYLPgHjdCvYRlamA

Welcome to the party Tailgunner.

Back