GoPro HERO4 Session

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
GoPro just announced a new Cube style camera, The GoPro HERO4 Session.

It looks a lot like The Polaroid Cube and the SJCAM M10.

• 1080p at 60 and 30fps (SuperView at 48 or 30fps)
• 1440p at 30fps
• 960p at 60 or 30fps
• 720 at 100, 60, or 30fps (SuperView 60 or 30fps)
• WVGA at 120fps
• Stills at 8MP with 10fps bursts

Auto image rotation

Two hour (non-removable) battery

WiFi & Bluetooth or dedicated GoPro remote control unit

Two microphones — one on the front and one on the back — together they dynamically switch between one another to reduce wind noise.

Waterproof to 10 meters without an external case.

Goes on sale July 12th. $400.00 USD!

GoPro4.png

GoPro5.png

GoPro3.png

GoPro2.png

GoPro8.png

GoPro.png

Last edited:
Definitely has the potential to be a game changer. It's on my wishlist

Unfortunately, the Session isn't getting very good reviews regarding image quality when compared to the Hero4 Silver regarding sharpness and dynamic range. Apparently it also lacks certain features of the Hero4 Silver. It's being described as a "dumbed down" camera selling for the same price.

A curious thing I read is that GoPro claims they've been developing the Hero4 Session for over three years which is interesting because that would be long before the Polaroid Cube or M10 were introduced. The fact that the form factor and exact size is almost identical makes one wonder.

At this point if I were in the market for a tiny, waterproof, wifi enabled action camera with essentially the same feature set and more, I think I'd go for the Shimano CM-1000 which seems much more unique and exciting to me for 100 dollars less. The only downside would be not having the 60fps capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the Session isn't getting very good reviews regarding image quality when compared to the Hero4 Silver regarding sharpness and dynamic range. Apparently it also lacks certain features of the Hero4 Silver. It's being described as a "dumbed down" camera selling for the same price.

GoPro seem to be targeting dumbed down customers

At this point if I were in the market for a tiny, waterproof, wifi enabled action camera with essentially the same feature set and more, I think I'd go for the Shimano CM-100 which seems much more unique and exciting to me for 100 dollars less. The only downside would be not having the 60fps capability.

The Shimano looks to be a very interesting product, would like to have a look at one

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that the Shimano CM-1000 is selling for $249.40 on Amazon, so that makes it 15o dollars less than the GoPro Her04 Session. There's even a new deep dive 60 meter auxiliary battery powered underwater housing for the Shimano which is really interesting. (When I get a little time I will post about it over in the Shimano CM-1000 thread)

Only 3 user reviews so far and they seem mediocre.

I think a lot of what they complain about is due to lack of understanding of the product, there's a mix of reviews on other sellers listing and most seem positive, still think it has potential

This CM-1000 is really kind of specialized product, not your typical general purpose action cam. It seems primarily optimized for the competitive cycling and rowing markets, especially with it's ANT+ and ANT private wireless capabilities. I guess they also promote it as being useful to users of their angling gear which in fact it is.

Too bad about the GoPro, just saw it today and it a cool little camera

Well if it wouldent cause a lot of problems, and cost a lot of money.
Gopro could name ther cameras I-camera as they as a company to me do have some things in common with the "fruit company"

iFix-it just published a full tear-down of the GoPro Hero4 Session which reveals that it is a bear to take apart and more or less impossible to repair. They give it a 1 out of 10 on the repairability scale. Once the battery dies, that's probably the end of usable life for this camera. So basically it is a 400 dollar disposable action cam.

The full tear-down can be found HERE. As always, iFix-it provides a fascinating presentation of how they did the tear-down including x-rays and it's definitely worth a look.

session5.png

The cameras innards are covered with what looks like a silicon rubber injected coating which is one of the things that makes taking it apart so difficult.
session3.png

session4.png

session1.png

It's amazing what they've squeezed into this little space. It's not immediately clear how they deal with internal heat. The camera uses an Ambarella A7LS DSP.
session6.png

session2.png

Appears to be an FRP lens module.
session7.png

By comparison, iFixit rates the GoPro Hero3 repairability score as a 7.
repair.png

Last edited:
that would help account for the price, any warranty problems are going to mean replacement and the cost to rework them would be excessive, pretty much disposable, not great from the battery perspective either

that would help account for the price, any warranty problems are going to mean replacement and the cost to rework them would be excessive, pretty much disposable, not great from the battery perspective either

Yeah, it looks like making it waterproof with all that sealant meant making it impossible to work on.

Edit: FWIW, it does look like it would take a beating though.

Back