GoPro Hero8 - leaks & rumors

A multipurpose hot shoe like that would be nice, 4K / 120 would be awesome along with 1080 / 500 FPS .
But that frame ? i would prefer if they just made the camera itself that much bigger, and expandable via the 1 / 2 hot / cold shoes.

Or if vloggin are such a big deal, why not make a gimbal with a enhanced MIC build in and the option for lightning on it too, this way you have a larger power source ( say 2 X 3500 MAH 18650 batteries ) to power everything.
And vloggers dont seem to bother if they look stupid, so the extra bulk of a gimbal should not be a problem.

4K /120 i might need to upgrade from 12 cores CPU, or drop in a pair of PCIe cards that can assist in processing, must be quite a piece of work to chew thru

Last edited:
is vlogging that big of a market, I know there's a lot of narcissists but is there enough to make them their own product, not so sure about that

is vlogging that big of a market, I know there's a lot of narcissists but is there enough to make them their own product, not so sure about that

I believe some journalists and other professionals use GoPros (and similar) for some of their work. Maybe there's a bigger market than seems obvious?

I believe some journalists and other professionals use GoPros (and similar) for some of their work. Maybe there's a bigger market than seems obvious?
Maybe, GoPro are certainly used in the professional space, I guess these are just rumours at this stage anyway so will see what comes of it, they were trying to market to vloggers with previous models but not sure how well that went, still see plenty using DSLR's

I think Casey are loaded with YT money.

In regard to vloggers it is my understanding many of them carry cameras as big as DSLr to get their fix, so i wouldn't worry too much over what those kind of people will do.
4 of the so called influencers here have just been taken to court for misleading commercials. :)

Maybe, GoPro are certainly used in the professional space, I guess these are just rumours at this stage anyway so will see what comes of it, they were trying to market to vloggers with previous models but not sure how well that went, still see plenty using DSLR's
There is a fundamental problem with using a GoPro for vlogging, it doesn't focus close enough to use it when talking directly to the camera! Until they add a focus mechanism it is for action use only. Note in that video Cassey used his DSLR every time he spoke directly to the camera or to someone else.

Reactions: Mtz
There is a fundamental problem with using a GoPro for vlogging, it doesn't focus close enough to use it when talking directly to the camera! Until they add a focus mechanism it is for action use only. Note in that video Cassey used his DSLR every time he spoke directly to the camera or to someone else.
yeah and although Woodman was trying to convince him how great it was the reality is it's the wrong tool for the job for a lot of situations, guess there's some sort of a market for that purpose but more of an additional device, you wouldn't rely on it solely for vlogging I don't think

yeah and although Woodman was trying to convince him how great it was the reality is it's the wrong tool for the job for a lot of situations, guess there's some sort of a market for that purpose but more of an additional device, you wouldn't rely on it solely for vlogging I don't think
Not sure why GoPro don't put a focus mechanism in, given what they are trying to sell the camera for. If you can fit one in a phone then you can fit one in a GoPro, and their cameras don't have auto start for dashcam use so the autofocus is unlikely to wear out.

It's not like the camera is incapable of close focus, if I twist the lens of my Gitup F1 action camera then I can take photos like:
y4myneKVOUwiV0Frh5v0n3gTU6k54nIlinpbEbnK_2t7u-sS_yTOJywmkL27v7o4qj6TDTdKfMDSAnj1kc1NAtrr1zRTPL9bXGBgaa_xZtuZy1joV8N4IadZbQZE_sPibk3XVrR9feuiEdRUCqCl5WyWdzZTKOZYg7mfC0xkn9LBaAhCMTpPBKuZpJsWiYqqm4e

A lot of storm chasers run multiple cams, using DSLR's for their 'money' recordings and GoPro's for their YouTube vids and for time-lapse vids. It's not a huge market but there is probably more interest in such usage than we know about as they're such a versatile cam and very able/affordable in comparison.

Phil

A lot of storm chasers run multiple cams, using DSLR's for their 'money' recordings and GoPro's for their YouTube vids and for time-lapse vids. It's not a huge market but there is probably more interest in such usage than we know about as they're such a versatile cam and very able/affordable in comparison.

Phil

That's a good point. Today's video production techniques for broadcast involve the simultaneous use of multiple camera formats. Often a main large format cinema camera is used for primary footage interspersed with footage from various professionally configured actions cams and drones. And some of the smaller cams are used for additional primary footage while also used for B-roll duties.

Pay attention while watching TV, especially in nature documentaries such as those produced by National Geographic, BBC & PBS or sports related content like you'll see on the Outdoor Channel and you'll see countless examples of this. Action cams are even being used in the production of fictional drama these days.

Maybe they should change name from action to B-roll cameras.
It is true these cameras and even worse ones are often in use in TV productions, with the idea that any kind of creative footage are better than no footage.

Maybe they should change name from action to B-roll cameras.
It is true these cameras and even worse ones are often in use in TV productions, with the idea that any kind of creative footage are better than no footage.

Actually, a lot of GoPro and other action cams used in professional film production are highly customized with specialized lenses and other modifications, thus turning them into true cinematic tools. This is what companies like BackBone, Radiant Images and Peau Productions specialize in.

backbone.jpg

radiant.jpg

yes that too.
And i assume also why some of the pro camera brands have made tiny cameras, and TBH if i was a film maker i would prefer to stay with say RED cameras for all my shooting for a production.

I dont know why the rumors say 4K / 120, as far as i know thats not a thing in the consumer level, and barely in the pro or prosumer levels.
To me 4K / 60 seem to be plenty fine, but i would welcome higher FPS shooting at 1080p

yes that too.
And i assume also why some of the pro camera brands have made tiny cameras, and TBH if i was a film maker i would prefer to stay with say RED cameras for all my shooting for a production.

I dont know why the rumors say 4K / 120, as far as i know thats not a thing in the consumer level, and barely in the pro or prosumer levels.
To me 4K / 60 seem to be plenty fine, but i would welcome higher FPS shooting at 1080p

That's not quite the way modern film production works these days. While much of the footage on a feature film or TV production might use a full sized RED or ARRI as the primary cam, other cameras of different sizes and capabilities may also be employed. Small professional camera systems from Black Magic, Sony and others are revolutionizing film production these days. And lot of current production is being done in 5K, 6K or 8K and reworked as necessary in post production. Eventually 4K with higher frames rates will become the norm for consumer levels cameras too.

As for high frame rates the tiny 1 inch sensor Sony RX0II can shoot up to 1000fps slow motion.

I'd love to get my hands on the BackBone modified RXOII that will accept C mount lenses but alas it starts out at $1400.00 USD. :(

rxoii.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to get my hands on the BackBone modified RXOII that will accept C mount lenses but alas it starts out at $1400.00 USD. :(
more money than I'd have to spend on something like this also but actually that's quite cheap compared to some other options, can see why there's a niche market for these things in the professional space

more money than I'd have to spend on something like this also but actually that's quite cheap compared to some other options, can see why there's a niche market for these things in the professional space

I agree, the price is quite inexpensive for the professional cinematography market, especially as an ancillary or special purpose camera. This is similar to the $995.00 price tag on the Black Magic Micro, also an interesting and appealing small camera that can use a wide range of professional C mount lenses. Sony has a similar camera, although quite a bit more expensive (but higher spec). The market for miniature high performance professional video cameras seems to be booming these days.

Black Magic Micro Cinema - $995 USD.
BMmicro.jpg

Last edited:
Back