GoPro Hero8 - leaks & rumors

Yeah i saw that video.

check this out
Would have been nice to see some genuine/realistic use, nobody is actually going to shake it around like that hoping for a smooth result except when testing! And the results from proper use might be very different.

That video (indeed extreme and unnatural) was made in response to a previous video below because people questioned why the hero7 stabilization looked so bad compared to the new 8.

Dcrainmaker made more "genuine/realistic" use

I had hero 7 for 1 week
I didn't like that
so I returned it to the store
not my cup of tea

it wasn't good for me even it's bought with discount that I used to
check here

Last edited:
hero 9 will be out in few weeks.

I have the Hero 3+, 5, and 7 GoPro Black models. So far I tend to get every second release as the improvements are worth it.

I'm not a filmmaker, I just use the GoPros for the family home videos although I tend to just shoot the footage and play it back without editing it - I really need to start editing stuff. ;)

I was happy with the Hero 7 stabilisation (I used the Hero 5 with the heavy and bulky Karma Grip) so the Hero 8 and Hero 9 stabilisation should be awesome for me. The main problem I have as far as stabilisation is concerned is when walking, I have to rember to adjust my gait and keep the camera close to my body so that the camera doesn't move in that annoying up and down bobble.

The problem that I have with the Hero 7 is wind noise which is vasty reduced with the Windslayer foam windshield housing but that's a pain to remove to replace the Micro SD card and/or the battery and the foam windshield is also a tight fit when I use the Lume Cube twin lighting rig for the GoPro.

It looks like the Hero 9 (as the Hero 8 before it) doesn't have a user-replaceable lens which isn't good for an action camera.

What I would like to see is much better very low light or night vision using external infrared sources.

Regards,

...The main problem I have as far as stabilisation is concerned is when walking, I have to rember to adjust my gait and keep the camera close to my body so that the camera doesn't move in that annoying up and down bobble.

Regards,

To kill the walking bobble you need a "4th axis" stabilizer. They are intended for 3 axis gimbal.

To kill the walking bobble you need a "4th axis" stabilizer. They are intended for 3 axis gimbal.
Does it work? Doesn't look like it would be very effective!

You can get rid of most of it by hand holding the camera mounted on a selfie stick/monopod, the heavier it is the better the stabilization.

You can get rid of most of it by hand holding the camera mounted on a selfie stick/monopod, the heavier it is the better the stabilization.
Check this out this guy, you still need some practice.

I was considering a DIY solution, I bought even an Ikea lamp but still have not yet done for my DJI OSmo mobile 2

But now the prices of these have come down for the ready made one...might be considering.

Interesting, but I still think a fairly heavy monopod will give a better result, and will help dampen movement on all axis.

Hi Matt_V939,

Apologies for the late reply! :oops:

Whilst I've seen the large and bulky Steadicam rigs for professional cameras, I wasn't aware of one for the domestic market. Many thanks for that information.(y)

I think that it would take some time to adjust correctly.

With my GoPro, I find that holding the camera close to the body and walking/running at a certain way can reduce the bobbing although it is uncomfortable to do so for a long period.

One of the nice things about the GoProHero 7 and later models is that stabilisation is much better (leaving out 4th axis) therefore all you need is the GoPro and a tripod/selfie-stick and you're ready for action so little else is need to be packed. If you want to reduce wind noise then a foam windbreaker really helps and if you need light then a solution like the dual Lumbe Cube system works well.

I may look at the 4th Axis stabilisers later on but it's just one more piece of equipment than I'd be worried that I'd never use. ;)

Regards,

With my GoPro...
Unlike the Osmo in the video, the GoPro already has 4th axis (vertical) stabilisation built into the EIS, it is just a bit limited in the amount of correction it can provide. If it is attached to the body then there will always be a problem on the vertical axis, move it out hand held as much as you will with that 4th axis stabilizer and the EIS will be able to remove most of what is left even without the 4th axis stabiliser.

Of course the large professional ones really do work, although a lot of professionals will choose not to use them since they can do a decent job with just a weighty monopod and a bit of practice, while the movement produced by the stabilisers often looks artificial, and reality normally looks better even if it is not perfect!

Back