GoPro new model review- great feature added

extraoneya

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Finevu Pros for front & rear
Since I don't do videos (I have experience w/ still photography), I never heard of GoPro until getting the idea for a DC. My understanding is that it's not really a DC, since it doesn't have Parking Mode & other functions. It's targeted to the Action & Let's See If I can Maim Myself crowd.

I just noticed that one of the most respected sites for photography, dp review, has a review for the latest GoPro model. WOW...what a cam...WOW...what a price!...(especially for front & rear views).

What really impressed me was that it deals w/ wind noise. Just this week, I recommended to a new user that he lower the noise that resulted from his DC mounted in his open air custom car. A little wind noise helps give the sensation of speed, but too much is irritating. In splicing together my front & rear views of my dual system, I delete the rear audio track, as that gets the most wind noise, even in a closed environment. I wonder how long it'll take for DCs to embrace this feature?

Here's the review (fun reading) & the quote about noise>

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8137555963/hands-on-with-the-gopro-hero-3-black-edition

My second test was of the wind reduction. I found a rare 45 degree window in this unrelenting New England winter and took my newly rebuilt dirt bike for a spin with the GoPro mounted to the Chesty harness. Now this was a noticeable improvement. At around 45-50 MPH amidst cold, thick air, the only audible wind noise was more of an intermittent lower toned muffling. Gone was the whistling, shrill wail-from-hell.

Is the gopro still doing jpeg Pictures or do it allso offer raw format ?

nothing addressing that subject in the review or the manufacture's specs, so I bet there's no RAW.

I think you are right, its have long been the issue with the gopro kameras, photographers seem to prefer the RAW format due to post processing as i undestand it.

I have never tried that on a computer, when i was a Photo freak that stuff took place in the dark room ;) but that is several decades ago.

These days i just snap 20 Pictures and 1 of them usioally Work :(

Ya it's quite an amazing little camera, and definitely on my buy list. It just has everything completely put together and it's quality. I really like the huge amount of mounts and love watching those marketing videos.

Its inspired me to get my Mobius out of the car more and come up with new ways to mount it and use it. As far as a dash cam, the Mobius wins hands down for many reasons, especially how discreet it is and the price. No way your going to mount a $400 camera in your window.

I think you are right, its have long been the issue with the gopro kameras, photographers seem to prefer the RAW format due to post processing as i undestand it.
I have never tried that on a computer, when i was a Photo freak that stuff took place in the dark room ;) but that is several decades ago.
These days i just snap 20 Pictures and 1 of them usioally Work :(

Ex-wife #1 was a part time model & worked for a professional studio as a secretary. During my college days, I used their equipment & darkrooms at night when they were closed...did all my own developing, dodging & Burning stuff...how archaic‎.....man, it seems like a hundred years ago, eh?

No way your going to mount a $400 camera in your window.

Lots of folks leave their V1, Max, Redline, etc., etc. on their windows all the time. Regardless, I'd wager that stupid criminals will break your window for your Mobius as quickly as they would for your $400 toy camera. (The real loss is the damage inflicted to your vehicle).

Whatever you mount on your window - you just need to remember to take it with you when you leave your vehicle in an unsecured area.

I started in 9 grade, Winding my own raw film up on cartridges and offcourse allso devloping, only B&W in those days.
Many years ago i dithed all my B&W Pictures, i think there was about 1 Sq M in total :confused: totally filled 4 large moving boxes ( paper and negatives )

Still have my SLR and box cams in long time storage, but my own B&W dark chamber equipment have been sold off a long time ago.
Sadly none of the old lenses are usable on my Dslr, they do fit and can be used 100% manuall, but i have grown old and lasy and like the new stuff like IS too.

........snip..........Still have my SLR and box cams in long time storage, but my own B&W dark chamber equipment have been sold off a long time ago.
Sadly none of the old lenses are usable on my Dslr, they do fit and can be used 100% manuall, but i have grown old and lasy and like the new stuff like IS too.

After my last divorce sold off my beloved all black Minolta SRT 101 + 4 teles, etc for a pittance that I bought new in the 70s...like u said, why bother when the new stuff is so easy & good!...but I'll be driving me old cars till I'm broke or can't drive anymore

Lots of folks leave their V1, Max, Redline, etc., etc. on their windows all the time. Regardless, I'd wager that stupid criminals will break your window for your Mobius as quickly as they would for your $400 toy camera. (The real loss is the damage inflicted to your vehicle).Whatever you mount on your window - you just need to remember to take it with you when you leave your vehicle in an unsecured area.

Yea, the dumbs__ts don't know the diff between a $40 DC or a GoPro. I figure my odds of theft r decreased by 75% however. I seldom leave the 3 oldies outta sight when parking them, so the DCs r most vulnerable when they're in the van.

I started in 9 grade, Winding my own raw film up on cartridges and offcourse allso devloping, only B&W in those days.
Many years ago i dithed all my B&W Pictures, i think there was about 1 Sq M in total :confused: totally filled 4 large moving boxes ( paper and negatives )

Still have my SLR and box cams in long time storage, but my own B&W dark chamber equipment have been sold off a long time ago.
I dunno, I have a mirrorless Sony Nex-3 with an old Minolta 50mm f1.4 and the pictures are amazing compared to the new reasonable priced f3.5 lenses. I bought it on ebay for $25 and have been able to do great things with that manual aperture. You can't buy a new f1.4 for that price today

I'd wager that stupid criminals will break your window for your Mobius as quickly as they would for your $400 toy camera.

Provided it's affixed between windscreen & rear view mirror, but not affixed directly to the windscreen by suction or self-adhesive mount, scumbags are unlikely to spot a Mobius, as it's so small.

The use of windscreen mounts should be avoided, as it draws attention to the device. Which is why the form factor of nearly all dashcams are unsatisfactory.

CIMG6214.JPG

Last edited:
call it artistic inspiration or harebrained ...u'r pic flashed an idea in me otherwise dormant brain>>

Scan that box of TicTac (or similar) & paste parts of the resulting onto the DC. U don't have to cover the entire DC, but even a little bit will (on a casual glance) give the illusion that the outside viewer is seeing TicTaks, not a dashcam.

note to self....don't quit the day job....

call it artistic inspiration or harebrained ...u'r pic flashed an idea in me otherwise dormant brain>>

Scan that box of TicTac (or similar) & paste parts of the resulting onto the DC. U don't have to cover the entire DC, but even a little bit will (on a casual glance) give the illusion that the outside viewer is seeing TicTaks, not a dashcam.

note to self....don't quit the day job....

Thought the exact same thing with that picture. It would work great if you had it sitting on the dash. However up on the windshield by the mirror it might be a little unusual, like floating tic tacs. Also I own the GoPro HD the original HD one and even with slightly more limited features the thing is awesome! Never let's me down for anything, sport related or not. However I couldn't see it as a dash can because its mounts are a bit big and heavy duty and it doesn't have loop recording or auto start. Just too much work as a DC but a great camera nonetheless.

Just print the tictac box's outside appearance (take photo of each side) and paste it onto/over the Mobius's outside. Make it look like something innocuous. Hide it for prying eyes.
Me... I leave my TWO Valentine One's, GPS/SatNav, Dashcams, all up. I don't care. Gives me reasons to get more, new toys. (Take my Glock, and Kel-Tec with... though... that's just irresponsible)

Lots of folks leave their V1, Max, Redline, etc., etc. on their windows all the time. Regardless, I'd wager that stupid criminals will break your window for your Mobius as quickly as they would for your $400 toy camera. (The real loss is the damage inflicted to your vehicle).

And we all remembered to tell our insurance companies about the dashcams?
Last time I filled in an application online, they asked about modifications. The word was a different colour (indicating a link) so I clicked and a long, long list of mods came up including tints, vinyl wraps, wheels/tyres etc. Basically, if it didn't come supplied with the car then it is a mod (even if you swap out the stereo for a better one).
I declared my $50 cam & it didn't affect my premium but I'm guessing a $400 cam might give them palpitations - especially if you later put in a claim for a break in.
If you have a small cam such as the mobius mounted high in the car (set slightly back from the screen) they are barely noticeable to the passers-by, a large lump hanging off a suction cup on the other hand...

I wouldn't want my glass smashed in & all the associated grief just for the sake of a $400 cam.

Have any of you ever had anything stolen (at all)? Or from a car? A car broken into/smashed/damaged to get at something?
I think I had a video game cartridge stolen in 1981. Or perhaps I lost it.. who knows? I still remember the name of the guy I suspected of doing it. Kevin Corday.
But, never had a vehicle broken into for stealing anything. Pranks by friends, like pulling my spark plugs.. but then again, we were camped out in an abandoned house where guys took there dates... we were scaring them. :)
Again, a car-based CCTV (not used for moving/motion/driving incidents) would be best. I'm much more concerned with bodily harm than property.

I was going to buy a GoPro camera last year. But as I was looking for reviews, trying to decide which camera to get, I came across a news story that left a really, really bad taste.
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/gopro-doesn-t-like-their/ODUyNjU2ODc_A

Wonderful world of business ain't it. I sure hope you don't own any Apple products if you base your purchases off of how companies abuse copyright/patent laws. Either way, GoPro cameras are basically unmatched for quality and size. If they weren't as good as they are hyped to be major television networks wouldn't use them as much as they do.

Back