GoPro + Vodafone = Live On TV

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
Just read this on a portuguese tech webpage. Details are very scarce at the moment. I'm going to translate it exactly as it was posted.

"Vodafone debuted today a service that allows live video broadcasting to TV sets from GoPro action cameras.
The service, which is based on a technology developed in Portugal, is called Live On TV.

To access Live On TV, these four requirements must be met:

1) Be a Vodafone client.
2) Possess one or more GoPro Hero 3 or 4 cameras.
3) Download the Live On TV app.
4) Have an iPhone version 6 or superior.

The press release says that people interested in this service can broadcast live video to Vodafone clients by connecting their GoPro cameras to an iPhone with the Live On TV app installed.

According to Vodafone, this service is pioneer worldwide.
"

Even without any further details, I believe we can all guess how it's going to work. If so, probably "not work" is more accurate.

Last edited:
it will buffer and send so will probably work ok, things like a phone call will quickly stop things though as the Apple eco system doesn't allow 3rd party apps that type of control

Ok, let's put things in perpective:

- This is a service made to use in Portugal, at least for now.
- The percentage of people who have iPhones 6 or 7 is not that big (is this an attempt from Apple to try and sell more of them?).
- The percentage of people who have GoPros is even smaller than the percentage of people who have iPhones 6 or 7 (is this an attempt from GoPro to try and sell more cameras?).
- Where do people mainly use their GoPros? Outdoors.
- Where in Portugal is the Vodafone 3G/4G networks available? Mostly in the cities.

As far as I know, the only way the camera can send live video stream to the phone is via WiFi, which means the phone has to be permanently in range. That said, it means any action camera with WiFi can do the same, not only GoPros, and people have to take their expensive phones with them when going sky diving, canooing, rock climbing or... diving! o_O

Looks like this service is design to use only in people's living rooms...

Last edited:
Live tonight on the internet, me and my wife getting freaky in a town park.
100 dollars will buy you a 1 hour password :p location of park undisclosed but it do have 4G.

Back