Got into accident...file corrupt?!

SergioV

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

Long time follower of this board here. I received my new A119 dash cam and have been loving it lately. Thing is, I was rear ended today and was pushed into the car in front of me. Having this footage may save me a huge headache a bit down the road. I come home to check the video and it is not opening. Used a few different media players including VLC and nothing is playing this .MP4 file.

The dash cam did shut off during the accident for some reason. It did not become unplugged though. Everything else had power including my radar detector. This completely defeats the purpose of having a dash cam! Anything I could do to save this file?

Thanks!!

you could try the file repair function in Registrator Viewer, you need a known good file from the camera and the broken file and it will attempt to rebuild the header info etc of the broken file to get it playable

I just downloaded Registrator Viewer for Mac but don't see any options for file repairing. Is that functionality not available for Mac?

All files is broken or just one? And you power form GPS mount USB port or on side port?

All files is broken or just one? And you power form GPS mount USB port or on side port?

Only the 3 minute file from the impact is corrupt. All other files are playable. I am powering from the side port, I do not have the GPS mount. I've used another program to repair the MP4 file and it repaired only half of the file and its replays very choppy.

there is an app called av repair but free version only repairs 50% of a file.
so you have to do a byte copy of file to make it double the size and it'll repair 100% of the file.

there is an app called av repair but free version only repairs 50% of a file.
so you have to do a byte copy of file to make it double the size and it'll repair 100% of the file.
That may the program I used. How can I double the size of the video in order to repair the whole file? How can I do a byte copy of the file?

That may the program I used. How can I double the size of the video in order to repair the whole file? How can I do a byte copy of the file?
Not sure in MAC but if you have command line app like in windows, you just do a copy /b filename to whatever filename.
It'll copy the filename into itself to create a double size file.

BTW, slip of tongue. I meant to say binary copy, not byte copy.
It basically appends the file and fools that repair program as 50% now is 100% of double file.

use the COPY command with the /b switch. The syntax is as follows:
copy <source1> /b + <source2> /b [....] <targetfile>
-or-
copy /b <source1> + <source2> [....] <targetfile>
You can also combine several files into one by using wildcards. For example:
copy /b *.exe combin.exe
Note: The /b switch is also useful when combining or appending ASCII files that contain embedded control characters.

I'd suggest you try it first on the original file. If it works on half the original file then you can look into doing the whole file,

I'd suggest you try it first on the original file. If it works on half the original file then you can look into doing the whole file,
Doesn't work on half.
Half file is horribly choppy with skipped frames and audio scattered everywhere.
Full file is better but still has some of those defects.
Maybe it's their way of forcing people to buy the software.

Doesn't work on half.
Half file is horribly choppy with skipped frames and audio scattered everywhere.
Full file is better but still has some of those defects.
Maybe it's their way of forcing people to buy the software.
That's exactly my issue with half the file being repaired. Looked horrible and completely unusable. I will look into doubling the file size and trying with the repair program again tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's input in helping me out with this.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks!

Can you copy the corrupted file out of the sd card? Dont work on the original file unless you have no other option.

If your willing to send me the file i can give it a crack.

Yes, I can try as well if you upload raw file somewhere.

Recuva won't work.
Not sure about other link.

This is exactly what you don't want, and worries me.
You drive around safe in the knowledge your cam is protecting you then, when it matters, it turns out to be a heap of junk which isn't recording anything!

Nothing is perfect and I guess it could happen with any cam. I'd hate to have it happen to me but in this there's something to learn-

+Drive as if the cam isn't going to save your hide. It's not there to let you get closer to a mistake; its there to protect you from other people's mistakes.

+Having a good cam matters, don't count on a cheap one working when you need it the most. (NOTE that I'm NOT condemning the A119 which seems to be a good cam. I'm just making a general statement)

Bookmarking this thread for the good answers on file recovery ;)

Phil

That's why you want at least two different brands dashcam for the front.
Probability of both failing at the same time is much less.

That's why you want at least two different brands dashcam for the front.
Probability of both failing at the same time is much less.

That's only realistic if camera footprints shrink. Figure 2 dashcams, maybe a GPS and perhaps a phone holder...that's a lot of devices sitting on the dash or windshield...

Back