Got into accident...file corrupt?!

well at least that's just a mobius (which wasn't originally designed around a cap). i haven't tested short power durations like that on my a119, but i'd hope that since it was designed to use caps from day 1, it should handle it better.

besides, OP had been driving 20-30 minutes if i remember right, so there's little chance the caps hadn't been charged.

@2000rpm - what firmware is on your CF-100? mine boots in about 15 seconds. sometimes it takes much longer to get a GPS fix, but that doesn't stop it from recording (they fixed that bug with firmware M1.3 - if you had the GPS module connected, M1.2 wouldn't record unless it had a GPS fix, even though it SAID "2 channel recording is getting started". if you unplugged gps before powering up w/ M1.2, it really would start recording right away.)

what firmware is on your CF-100?

FW 1.3
I thought it was usually around 20s but when I timed it earlier it was nearly 30s.

Mobius cams using the capacitor kit MUST be set to IMMEDIATE Power-Off Disconnect, not 10 seconds. Hence the issue you describe.

A timer delay device can resolve the problem created by your car's electrical system.

Power-off-disconnect 10s isn't a problem if the cap has had plenty of time to charge.
Power-off-disconnect immediate is not a viable solution in two of our three cars because of the way their electrical systems work.

Mobius cams using the capacitor kit MUST be set to IMMEDIATE Power-Off Disconnect, not 10 seconds. Hence the issue you describe.

A timer delay device can resolve the problem created by your car's electrical system.

Just re-tested after setting power-off-disconnect to 'immediate'.
5s startup + 5s recording = no file saved.
5s startup + 10s recording = no file.
5s startup + 15s recording = no file.
5s startup + 20s recording = file saved successfully, 20s length.

Power-off-disconnect 10s isn't a problem if the cap has had plenty of time to charge.

This is bad advice, which I would urge any Mobius owner with a capacitor conversion to ignore. The Developer introduced the 'Immediate' Power-Off Disconnect option in firmware v0.53 as the 10 second option was too long to allow the file being recorded when external power was cut to be safely saved, before the capacitor was exhausted.

I'm surprised that @Isoprop didn't include this in the Manual, however, he'll doubtless correct me if I'm mistaken.

Usually, capacitor based dashcams shut off immediately and total time for proper shutdown including saving last file should be around 4 seconds so 10 seconds shouldn't be there for capacitors at all.
Testing if capacitor lasts 10 seconds is fine for testing but not in real operation.

X
5s startup + 5s recording = no file saved.
5s startup + 10s recording = no file.
5s startup + 15s recording = no file.
5s startup + 20s recording = file saved successfully, 20s length.

Just ran the same test on a @JooVuu X set to power-off-disconnect 3s and;

6s startup + 5s recording = no file saved.
6s startup + 10s recording = file saved successfully, 10s length.

......This is bad advice, which I would urge any Mobius owner with a capacitor conversion to ignore. .....

I agree, but it's the only way to make Mobius with capacitor work without unwanted shutdowns in two of our three cars.

I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 7 months & 2 years 4 months ago, respectively. Power-Off Disconnect set to Immediate.

I check the memory cards weekly, & always check the small files generated when external power is cut. There hasn't been a single corrupted or missing file in all these years!

In the real world, these small files are generated after quite a few minutes of use under external power, not after a few seconds.

Last edited:
...In the real world, these small files are generated after quite a few minutes of use under external power, not after a few seconds.

This makes capacitor based dashcams useless.

no, just that one when configured in that manner

configuring it correctly fixes that but it does have other issues with startup for some people so I know where @2000rpm is coming from, again this is a Mobius issue though and not typical

Mobius C2 (capacitor) last used in the afternoon of the 10th (exactly 5 days ago - manual says 7-10 days to retain date/time).
Switched on, took 5s to start recording, switched off after another 5s; no file present on card.
Repeated tested with a second identical C2c but allowed the 5s startup and 10s recording before switching off; still no file present on card.
Alternated cams and increased recording time by 5s but even after two minutes there's still no file being saved by either cam after power is disconnected - and that's with two cams 'climbing the ladder' of time intervals; if it was one cam I could believe it was a fault.
The cams are set for 'power-off-disconnect' of 10s because otherwise they don't cope with cars which have electrical power fluctuations when cranking (they switch off every time stop-start is activated or at certain other times).

Ran some further tests and with the Mobius C2c power-off-disconnect set for 10s, the file will save successfully after the cap has been allowed approximately three minutes to charge.

less than one second for this process, the extra time allowed is not to do with the shutdown process
I remember someone posted minimum shutdown time with breakdown for saving and shutdown.
Total was around 4 secs.

I remember someone posted minimum shutdown time with breakdown for saving and shutdown.
Total was around 4 secs.

takes less than a second to close the current recording and power off the camera, the instant off function on the Mobius is testament to that, the extra time allowed (eg ours is 4 seconds) is unrelated to the file save and shutdown process

I wonder if I should shim a piece of paper in the memory card slot, just to put a little bit of more force on the contacts.

Was this model tested for sudden g-forces (without impact)? Is it possible that it's a software issue (buffer overflow), unable to handle/process high g-force values?

@SergioV Considering your vehicle was totaled (that had to be one hell of a crash), I'm happy to hear you are doing ok. Hopefully you sent the camera directly to the manufacturer, as they might be interested in doing an autopsy.

One thing i should note in analyzing the MP4 atom structure is that Streaming mode/Progressive download is Disabled. It basically writes the important data at the end of the file rather than the start.

I am curious to know if makes a difference for corrupted dashcam files and why its set that way to begin with.

fig02.jpg

Adobe said:
If the planned delivery method is progressive download or streaming (RTMP or HTTP), the moov atom will have to be moved to the beginning of the file. This ensures that the required movie information is downloaded first, enabling playback to start right away. If the moov atom is located at the end of the file, it forces the download of the entire file first before it will start playback. If the file is intended for local playback, then the location of the moov atom will not impact the start time, since the entire file is available for playback right away.

I ran some tests on Panorama II S. (@Sunny )
Cam displayed a green battery (capacitor) charging symbol on the screen while starting up. After about 10s the charging symbol disappeared and recording began. I then cut power and checked for the file - it was there.

So although Mobius has a weakness, the Panorama II S seems OK.

edit: forgot CF-100
It seems to take around 25s to power up and capacitor seems fully charged within that time, or certainly within a few seconds of it starting recording.

Last edited:
Is it possible that it's a software issue (buffer overflow), unable to handle/process high g-force values?

that's a distinct possibility and what I'd be investigating first, I don't believe the issue is related to power interruption or the memory card becoming dislodged

One thing i should note in analyzing the MP4 atom structure is that Streaming mode/Progressive download is Disabled. It basically writes the important data at the end of the file rather than the start.

I am curious to know if makes a difference for corrupted dashcam files and why its set that way to begin with.

fig02.jpg

does the atom info contain things like file size/length or total playback time? if so, that could explain it, since you never know how long any given file might be. shutdown could occur at any point during the file. but at first glance it does seem like writing the headers first might help avoid this sort of thing even from accidentally ejecting the memory card.

Back