Got My 422GW Today

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Halfords guy fitted it this morning, tidy & neat job, happy with the quality of video front & rear. Will need to get a polarizer in a few days time.

1: Still to experiment with resolution, the fitter left it on 1080px30fps , what would be the better resolution bearing in mind majority of me or my wife's driving is during daytime. Not a lot of night time driving,
1080px30fps, 1080px60fps, or 1440px30fps?

2: This one mainly aimed at anyone who has a Mk8 Fiesta or car with similar situation, on my fiesta there is a rather large chunk of plastic box below the rear view mirror probably various sensors inside, fitting dashcam behind the mirror the right side seems partially blocked by this box (see image below) is it worth my while moving the cam over to the left side to widen the view? only downside I see is it makes the cam more visible.

3: recommended video length one, two or three minutes? I'm using a 64 GB sd card.

4: Connected my phone to the dashcam successfuly via the nextbase app, can anyone tell me if I can also connect my wifes phone too? Not quite sussed out Alexa yet but when I do a similar question will follow. I have a Alexa app on phone and echo dot in the home.

Thanks for looking.

img1.jpg

Last edited:
If 1440p are nearer to the native resolution of the sensor i would use that, if it was a even larger sensor and it used binning of pixels to accomplish 1080 i would probably use that, but that are not yet seen in dashcams.
Your camera probably use cropping to do the 1080p resolutions, so that don't imply a better low light performance over the 1440p resolution it can do.

I am myself hoping i get to try a 1440p camera soon, higher resolutions are the way of the future in dashcams.

1440p all the way m8.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the black blob unless it is easy to move the camera especially if the fitter has used the sticky pad. But you deffo badly need the CP filter. (Genuine item usually cheaper from eBay)
PS 1440.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the black blob unless it is easy to move the camera especially if the fitter has used the sticky pad. But you deffo badly need the CP filter. (Genuine item usually cheaper from eBay)
PS 1440.

Thanks m8, just spent 300 quid yesterday, missus was not amused:):):cool::unsure: might need to wait a few days for the filter until she cools down:)

With a username like yours, that is quite understandable. Mind you it's pretty damn understandable, and possibly universal, regardless of username. :ROFLMAO:

How about THIS one? Or if you prefer Amazon, THIS one?

Last edited:
With a username like yours, that is quite understandable. Mind you it's pretty damn understandable, and possibly universal, regardless of username. :ROFLMAO:

How about THIS one? Or if you prefer Amazon, THIS one?

:) Either one of these would do, the ebay one though, just above the buy me now button described as saving of £85.04. Think his calculator was a bit wonky. :):)

Thanks for the links though, it's appreciated.

Stick to 1080 because it's the native resolution for this camera. See my post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/resolution-is-upscaled.39997/
1440 is acheived via upscaling - yes, I fell for the marketing too... My unit was a factory refurb and the power buttion became "solid" after a very short ownership period. To be fair, it still works, but I think the quality is somewhat suspect.
I hate the poorly designed mount too.

On my 422gw I use 128gb sd card, with 1080p x 60 fps & 2 minute loop. Yeah get a polarising filter as you will need one lol

Back