Got rear ended today (AGAIN!!!!)

It probably would be considered a crash, but not if it were the other way 'round because it's California where the only thing in common between logic and law is the first letter of both words.

Phil

Haha pool noodle,,,,,,, only the elite might have a pool the regular working Joe that might have a house not so much, also really here it got to be indoor to get the most out of it, and then it is counted as living space and living space in a house are taxed the highest.
But other than that with cyclists and the other ones, you want separation, so out to the side with the cyclists and maybe up on a path elevated 5-6 inches from the rest of the road, cuz we all know a line painted on the road surface don't mean much to a lot of motorists,,,,,,, or cyclists for that matter.
This way everyone can be happy and not have to interact too often.

That woman riding in the middle of the road she would not be popular here, she need to at least half the distance to things on her right

Hope all gets sorted - and that you enjoy your visit over here.
I am here. Arrived in London yesterday.
So far so good enjoy first few days.

Different driving culture. Drivers actually know how to use a zipper merge. There is discipline and courtesy on narrow roads. Haven't seen any distracted drivers

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Damage to the bumper and rear tire for the accident that occurred on june 4
125cd10a482351be3146e2d6921dd6c5.jpg
fb7c85482028f8e643233b265ea41b01.jpg

Hope your back door doesn't rattle and squeak like mine does... Maybe if they have to replace the back door you could "upgrade" to one from a sport model that doesn't have a spare.

They are replacing the door and several other parts. All original Toyota parts. It took more than 2 weeks to get every thing. It will be complete in a few days, but I am in Britain. Having a rental we needed to return before our trip added a complication

Haven't had the time due to physio and other things to be active on the web. Spent a fair bit of time doing editing on a video suitable of the latest accident suitable for public viewing.

The repair work was done suitably. No rattling and Squeaking. Its the same model door. Still has the spare at the back. I like it like this as frees up the cargo bay, what I call the smugglers compartment.

I spent a fair bit time on the video. First time using image blurring and it appears I may either not have had a package in Linux that Kdenlive relied on, or there was an environment issues, but it was crashing when trying to render. I fixed that. Second time I have used split screen but first with Linux scripts

If its safe to proceed (no one running the red) I am in the intersection perhaps less than 1/2 a second after getting a green light. Some of the time, I may have creeped or slowly budged forward after seeing the light to my left or right turn green. In the day of the distracted driver, this is not advisable as that driver may see you move, move too, but look at the device. If you have to stop, you have a rear end collision with the car behind you.

Toronto has lights where say northbound traffic has a green, both left advanced and straight the the opposing direction keeps a red light. It also has cases where the light standard has a protected lane or 4 light traffic light device, but not always providing an advanced green. Although Toronto has some peculator intersections, well the accident took place in Pickering Due to the long time I was waiting, I moved a little when seeing a red light from the traffic to left and stopped when seeing I didn't get a light to go forward. The suv behind me moved either because of the traffic moving to her left or seeing me budge. It appears she then transferred her foot from the brake peddle to gas peddle and looked down and to her left.

Lesson learned - no more creeping as it common these days the car behind you may not be looking where they are going.

I am here. Arrived in London yesterday.
So far so good enjoy first few days.

Different driving culture. Drivers actually know how to use a zipper merge. There is discipline and courtesy on narrow roads. Haven't seen any distracted drivers

Any update to your summary of UK roads and driving?

Lesson learned - no more creeping as it common these days the car behind you may not be looking where they are going.
If it had been a gentle tap then that would be a good summary, but she just wasn't looking so I don't think you should blame yourself at all, she kept pace with the other lane so was presumably not looking forward the whole time.

Any update to your summary of UK roads and driving?
I stand by my comment about courtesy on narrow roads. In Uxbridge, there narrow roads where only on car can go thru at a time. In Toronto, if we encounter double parked cars, one of then will force there way. In terms of the distracted driver, when I got closer to London's core, OMG. Its almost bad there as here.

Also it appears car drive slower in areas of caution, perhaps due to the narrow road. I commented to my wife as to how no one drives unreasonably fast and apparently her elderly aunts have got ticketed with photo radar. We don't have such here.

In my eight day there, saw only one after the fact accident. On a road in Uxbridge. For two 20 minute trip on the A40, no fender benders on the side of the road unlike the GTA.

Didn't see anything unruly when in Edinburgh. I really like the public transit system in London and Edinburgh. If I lived in London, I would seriously consider doing away with a car. Not because of the driving, but the lack of parking o_O

edit: That's not to say drivers are perfect angels. Its just in my short time, it didn't seem anywhere near as bad. Hey, I have seen the UK videos and if all drivers there practiced courtesy and abided by the law - there would be no need for dash cams. I am fully aware, seeing the videos from there, there is. In fact, my wife's cousin inquired about our accident and dash cams.

Last edited:
No one is safe at a red light in Toronto. Note TTC Wheel Trans on the side. Its a van to deliver elderly or disabled passengers to a location such as a hospital. Stopped, driver goes in vehicle goes to something at her seat.

Thankfully, the above video is NOT mine, this time.

That's an interesting place to put a camera - looks to be dash mounted, or mounted very low to the windshield.

That's an interesting place to put a camera - looks to be dash mounted, or mounted very low to the windshield.

Apparently its an interior camera that shifted to the passenger side and cammer cropped it. Quote on the Toronto driving forum

the camera actually captures the entire interior but the mount is loose so it's angled a little to this window. I zoomed into the window to make the video easier to see.​

At least i didn't get hit by a lorry in all my numerous times of being rear ended.

Edit:
Another hard hit

Another case where a distracted driver notices traffic to the left move on an advanced green and assumes he or she has a green. In this one, the driver in front of the offending vehicle didn't even move.

Below is NOT my video, fortunately.

Back