Got the CPL for my A119 V2

Zardoz66

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119 V2
I went ahead and got the CPL for my A119 V2. Got it from OCDtronic off amazon. going to do some testing today and tonight and will see if its worth the cost.

VIOFO A11CPL Circular Polarizing Lens (CPL) clips onto 2017 Edition A119 A119S & A118C2 DashCams (Reduce Reflections and Glare!)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MEI10I4

Thanks for your business. The CPL won't eliminate 100% of the reflections and glare.
The balance for these are tuned just right so you can leave it on 24/7 without impacting night performance.
(not too dark, not too light)
Enoy!

Last edited:
Also, these come pre-calibrated but you can confirm it's perfect if you have a non-3D TV (and some ultra wide computer monitors, not all though)

See example below:

1DLnzTN.png

Thanks OCDTRONIC, all set up and ready to go... FYI I did need to adjust a little but was kind of expecting to. now to go and have some fun...

according to that photo, my cpl is out of adjustment. Mine goes "black" at 45 deg.

I'll try 90 and see if that makes any improvement. 45 was still better than nothing.

according to that photo, my cpl is out of adjustment. Mine goes "black" at 45 deg.

I'll try 90 and see if that makes any improvement. 45 was still better than nothing.

don't do that, if it is black at 45° then your monitor will be the 45° type

I ended up using the white paper on the dashboard adjustment. I want to work with it more but so far it's ok at best. I was hoping for better results, but that would most like degrade night performance to much.

Last edited:
I ended up using the white paper on the dashboard adjustment....
That is the only way to check CPL alignment. Using any type of LCD monitor (be it a TV, computer monitor, laptop, phone, etc.) you are introducing unknown variables, in this case how the screen was made. Checking reflections in your vehicle removes all outside variables.

That is the only way to check CPL alignment. Using any type of LCD monitor (be it a TV, computer monitor, laptop, phone, etc.) you are introducing unknown variables, in this case how the screen was made. Checking reflections in your vehicle removes all outside variables.

Totally agree at this point. it seems that CPL use is kind of an art. you have to have a good "eye" for what you are trying to achieve. the monitor tests seem to be more of a synthetic adjustment and most like will not achieve what you are looking for.

The official CPL for the A118/A119 V2 is not the easiest to work with when trying to adjust and test, however it can be done. I think for the most part I am getting the best I can and it does help. I would advised people wanting to get a CPL to not expect a life changing results.

I am still tuning and adjusting all parts of my setup and for me its been kind of fun.

When I was into photography I used (linear) polarizing filters on all my lenses. I can tell you that turning the filter 90 degrees will eliminate any reflections coming off of leaves and will make the blue sky appear a lot darker. MOF it will make all colors appear darker. Very nice effect.

I don't see this effect in the above video. I see absolutely no changes in the reflections from the leaves. I also don't see this effect with the CPL filter I bought with my VIOFO A119 camera. I see a very minimal effect, if any at all. :(

...I don't see this effect in the above video. I see absolutely no changes in the reflections from the leaves. I also don't see this effect with the CPL filter I bought with my VIOFO A119 camera. I see a very minimal effect, if any at all. :(
There's a possibility the CPL may be misaligned from the factory - things like that can happen.

I have an A119 CPL mounted on an SG9665GC and it works as well as any others I've had.

the problem with adjusting it is we are not trying to use it like you would in photography, only to remove dashboard reflection, you can turn it and get a different effect but it's not about that

It really needs to be tuned for you car/dash. from my understanding the a119x CPL is not very strong to give it the best use for day and night usage without making it to dark.

It really needs to be tuned for you car/dash. from my understanding the a119x CPL is not very strong to give it the best use for day and night usage without making it to dark.

correct, it was designed and set for a specific task

Not too dark, not too light, just enough to help with reflections & glare without impacting night performance.

Not too dark, not too light, just enough to help with reflections & glare without impacting night performance.

Nice.

Seeing you have both the A119 and A119s .. you are in a perfect position to compare these Cams.

Could you please share your likes and dislikes of each ... and if you could only keep one of them ... which would you choose and why?

Plus - Is the CPL worth getting ... and why?

Cheers

Last edited:
Night performance is very most important to me so I'd pick the A119S especially with ongoing recent IQ improvements like Auto Calibration etc.

Yes I always use a CPL or the dashboard pattern and lights from below reflects up into the window and fouls the image up. I 3-D printed an aftermarket CPL base for my mini 0801 back in 2013 before I was even in the DashCam business.
(My account was renamed since then I operate both accounts now)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...reduce-windshield-dashboard-reflections.2343/

Back