Got the wing mirror

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
This rider took one overtake too many and hopefully will learn from this...

Legally, it was the car's fault, the motorcycle had right of way to use the right hand lane, so my guess is that the motorcyclist will just blame the car driver and learn nothing!

Of course really it is the motorcyclist's fault. Bit surprised the car driver saw him coming and stopped before the collision.

I submitted the clip to the local cops online in case there is a claim but I expect nothing will come of it.

Legally, it was the car's fault, the motorcycle had right of way to use the right hand lane, so my guess is that the motorcyclist will just blame the car driver and learn nothing!
what kind of road rules do you have where a vehicle turning right can be overtaken by someone on the wrong side of the road and the vehicle turning was at fault?

what kind of road rules do you have where a vehicle turning right can be overtaken by someone on the wrong side of the road and the vehicle turning was at fault?
The lane was already in use when the car turned across it, just as bad as if there had been a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. You cant just cut across somebody's path, and the motorcyclist was entitled to be using that lane for overtaking.

The lane was already in use when the car turned across it, just as bad as if there had been a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. You cant just cut across somebody's path, and the motorcyclist was entitled to be using that lane for overtaking.
you must have some weird road rules there, there's no way ever that wouldn't be the bike riders fault in Australia, you can't overtake a vehicle turning right on the right, vehicle indicated, nothing coming, no reason for him not to make the turn and some clown goes flying around the outside

I think most people here would also blame the bike rider, doesn't alter the law though. The fact the car indicated in plenty of time would transfer some of the blame in a compensation claim if it went to court.

Even in Australia, it must at some point become unacceptable for the car to turn, eg if the motorcycle was already alongside, or 1 meter behind?

Not allowed to overtake a turning (or preparing to turn even) vehicle in Australia, would be the bikes fault without question, might be able to argue the ticket if the turning vehicle wasn't indicating but that's not what happened anyway

Rule 180 of our highway code specifically tells people turning right to check for people overtaking before turning, the car clearly had a responsibility to check and not turn until the motorcyclist had completed his overtake:

Wait until there is a safe gap between you and any oncoming vehicle. Watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and other road users. Check your mirrors and blind spot again to make sure you are not being overtaken, then make the turn.

Maybe the police will get the motorcyclist for an obscured number plate, probably possible from Paul's video.

Would have been unsafe passing (overtaking) here since it occured in an intersection where that's not allowed, and since the bike's speed was excessive for the situation with that not giving him any time to react to the one signal blink he had time to see before the collision became unavoidable. As with almost all crashes it didn't have to happen but it did :rolleyes:

Phil

I had to stomp the brake last night, otherwise i think i would be without a working car today.

Would have been unsafe passing (overtaking) here since it occured in an intersection where that's not allowed, and since the bike's speed was excessive for the situation with that not giving him any time to react to the one signal blink he had time to see before the collision became unavoidable. As with almost all crashes it didn't have to happen but it did :rolleyes:

Phil
That and the fact there may road lines reminding drivers of the rules in North America. In Canada, in fairly populated towns, the lines are yellow or white that divide lanes informing drivers they can't make a lane change. On rural roads, where approaching intersections, the lines change from being dashed to solid

edit: Last line, added part of rural roads and changing from dashed to solid

Last edited:
Back