GPS Base Problem

jetstreamblue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
mini 0805, G1WH
Just received my mini 0805 from Gearbest. Looks like I got the newer version of the base with gold contacts. Unfortunately, it stopped working after a few minutes. It seemed to be okay at first, but after a few minutes, the camera went crazy (repeated beeping sound and no response to any buttons). Finally, after holding the power button down for a long time I shut it off. After that, the camera will only work if the USB power cable is plugged directly into the camera. If I plug into the GPS base, the camera just cycles on and off again and again every few seconds, and no GPS data is recorded on any of the video files that are saved.

Is my GPS base dead?

Did some more testing, and found out the issue is probably in the camera itself. I got the camera working again with the GPS mount but as soon as I twisted the camera to change the angle the on/off cycling happened again. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the connection in the twist joint. Does anyone know what's in there, just a wire, or does it use slip-rings?

Did some more testing, and found out the issue is probably in the camera itself. I got the camera working again with the GPS mount but as soon as I twisted the camera to change the angle the on/off cycling happened again. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the connection in the twist joint. Does anyone know what's in there, just a wire, or does it use slip-rings?
It's just a wire, but it may be trapped or badly soldered - look up the mini0803 disassembly instructions in the mini 0803 section of the dashcam comparison on this website.

Thanks Nigel. Looks like a pretty thin cable. I think best for me to ask for an cxchange from GearBest (another 1 month wait... sigh...)

Thanks Nigel. Looks like a pretty thin cable. I think best for me to ask for an cxchange from GearBest (another 1 month wait... sigh...)
If you are any good with a soldering iron then you could ask GearBest if they mind you taking it apart and attempting to sort it first - it could save you a months delay without anything to loose.

If it works fine via the camera USB socket then it is likely to be a simple problem.

I'll give that a shot and see what they say. I've got soldering equipment, just hesitant to "void the warranty" so to speak and be stuck if I don't manage to fix it (or as happens so often to me, I make things worse)...

Had same problem with my fake 0801. As soon as i twisted it forward over half-way it disconnected power. Took those 2 small screws on camera out and found that one wire was broken. 2 min with soldering iron and magnifying glass and it is working.

I got one of these recently (though I did order a mini 0803!) It has the new style GPS base with the gold contacts.

Just wondering how long others are finding before the GPS gets a fix?

It was 40 mins into my journey this morning before the GPS file was available to view!

Also wondering if there is a better video player available for windows? as the QT player doesn't impress me

Registrator Viewer for playback

GPS should get a fix within a few minutes, first time fix is always longer though

My first fix took nearly an hour, from then on only a few seconds.

Mine hardly ever gets a fix as it stands. I am using the cam with no internal battery so I guess that will affect the GPS performance too.
My Tom Tom gets a fix within seconds even on a "cold" start situation. probably cheaper GPS chip set in the base of this though!
Might return it to Amazon for replacement to see if a new one is any better.

Update on the issue...

Gearbest asked that I take the unit to a local shop to check to verify the issue. I have no idea where I would find a shop here in Canada to work on a Chinese dash cam, and even if I did, I can't imagine the costs a local tech would charge here would make it worthwhile. Anyway, the issue pops up rarely now that I have it attached to my dash and I don't touch it. So I guess I'll suck it up and live with it for now, and if it does get worse I'll pop it open and try to figure it out myself.

Update on the issue...

Gearbest asked that I take the unit to a local shop to check to verify the issue. I have no idea where I would find a shop here in Canada to work on a Chinese dash cam, and even if I did, I can't imagine the costs a local tech would charge here would make it worthwhile. Anyway, the issue pops up rarely now that I have it attached to my dash and I don't touch it. So I guess I'll suck it up and live with it for now, and if it does get worse I'll pop it open and try to figure it out myself.

Recommend using velcro to attach to windshield with you plan to play with it. Get the type that uses plastic hook and loops. Or a second GPS mount.

Back