GPS enabled cams worth it?

Zedmin

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to US (or Canadaian) court cases where dashcam video with a speed stamp was considered admissible as evidence in court for fighting a speeding ticket?

In US it depends on the state you're in I think. Unless the police officer can provide better proof such as the laser gun movie then you will win. In the US you get speeding tickets very often because the officer "saw you speeding with like XY miles an hour", while in Europe you never get a speeding ticket unless the proof of you speeding is digitally recorded by a speed cam that has a telemetry certificate renewed every 2 years or so. ...Which means if they say you were speeding then you were really speeding in 99.9% of the cases. The rest of 0.01% :) are those cases when the police officer using an older radar did nto give it time to calibrate but turned it on right in front of you, or when your car was exiting a courve and entering a straight road where the radar camera was.

However, my advice is to get a gps-enabled camera, you never know when you need it to prove you were there and not somewhere else, or were doing 60mph and not 90.

Zedmin said:
Does anyone have a link to US (or Canadaian) court cases where dashcam video with a speed stamp was considered admissible as evidence in court for fighting a speeding ticket?

Hi Zedmin,

I don't see why it would not be admissible since it provides additional details on what happened. Whether or not it will sway the judge is another matter. This article describes one person's attempt to get out of speeding ticket using GPS data. However the judge cited the lack of evidence on the officer’s part rather than GPS for the ruling.

I'm sure we will hear more about this in North America as more people get dash cams.

Dash Cam Man

Here is another case were GPS data was used to fight a traffic ticket. An interesting quote from the article:

Petaluma police said it's a matter of routine to defend such challenges, but in this particular instance, concerns that the case could set a legal precedent that could jeopardize law enforcement's use of radar for speed enforcement factored into their decisions. That included spending $15,000 on an expert in GPS technology...

Dash Cam Man

Another article. The defendant lost again. The full case details can be downloaded here.

Note that with a dash cam you get video and GPS speed data. Some of these cases only had GPS speed data. With the video, if you identify 2 points and accurately measure it, determining the average speed is simple (distance traveled / time passed in video). This is more compelling evidence.

Dash Cam Man

GPS enabled cameras are really advantageous to use in our vehicle. Nowadays, they are also more features, I have it for wife car as she lot of highway and car driving. They are very useful to track the speed and are crucial during the accidents.

Back