GPS for A118C

esox07

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Looking
OK, so, I ordered an A118C off Ebay as a Christmas present to myself. Daughter wants to know what to get me for Christmas so I thought the optional GPS module would be cool.
Here is a link to the A118C: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131410521479
My question is, will any of the Ebay offered GPS module work with my A118C or are there some differences as the A118C is marketed by different manufacturers and I am worried the GPS modules are manufacturer specific.
Here is the GPS module I am looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/400996013399
Will those two work together?
Thanks

It should work. The only usefulness I could make from the GPS module on an A118 is it keeps your clock time updated. :)

Won't it allow for speed and other info to include location?

They are very fragile , so be careful ...
The one I got , fell apart when I went to re-locate it ... ( Double sided tape to dash )
I call it my bad , but the GPS antenna / receiver case is not the strongest , so treat it with a little care ..
I used electrical tape on mine to hold it together ( still works ) ..

OK thanks.

old4570, what functions does the GPS module provide other than time?

The usual , Speed and location ...
So if you use say , Registrator .... Then you can see on a map where you are driving and speed as well as watching the recorded video .
I have deleted all my video files so cant do a preview ATM
+ It cant embed the speed into the video ...
I havent looked at video from my A118c for the longest time .. I might have to go pull the memory card ...

Last edited:
They are very fragile , so be careful ...
The one I got , fell apart when I went to re-locate it ... ( Double sided tape to dash ....
That's one of the reasons I use either Velcro or DualLock tape to mount mine.

That's one of the reasons I use either Velcro or DualLock tape to mount mine.
Yes !
I may purchase another GPS receiver , they are cheap enough .. But so far this one is working fine .

Guys/Gals: Thanks so much for the great responses. I beleive my daughter will be ordering me one. It seems like it has some cool functions and like old4570, the price is right.

I do beleive I will go with the Velcro idea as well.

Where is the best place to mount the GPS module. Can you get by with mounting it up near the camera. My truck has that black dot shading pattern behind the rear view mirror and I was wondering if I could mount it there. It would most inconspicuous that way. But I am worried the black dot pattern would some how interfere with reception.

the dots won't interfere, but the antenna will be upside down and won't work well if you do that. it's a simple matter to take the GPS unit apart and flip over the circuit board though - lots of folks have done that.

also - keep the GPS antenna at least a foot away from the camera to avoid interference.

All good information. Thanks. I will probably mount it off to the side along the top edge of the windshield then. After I flip the guts inside the shell.

All good information. Thanks. I will probably mount it off to the side along the top edge of the windshield then. After I flip the guts inside the shell.

that's where I have mine, you'll barely notice it once it's done

I am thinking this is how I will mount my camera. Do you or anyone else see a problem with this setup. The camera will be mounted at the bottom of the dot pattern so the camera lense is below the dot pattern. Then, the GPS will be mounted about a foot or so away along the top edge of passenger side of the windshield. I can stick the wiring up under the head liner that way. I will route the power cord under the head liner as well. I don't like a lot of crap hanging down and loose.

IMG_0001-resized%20with%20Camera%20and%20GPS_zpsdrteewqx.jpg

just leave yourself enough room between the camera and mirror arm to easily insert/remove the SD card - at least 2 inches. it's already awkward enough reaching up under/behind the mirror - you don't need to be trying to squeeze your fingers between the mirror arm too. i learned that one the hard way and had to peel-restick (with new tape) the mount. sure, you can unplug and lift the cam off the mount, but after a while that can wear out the usb port. best to just leave it up there.

also make sure the glass is warm when mounting or it won't stick very well.

Good advice, thanks Gibson99.

:)
Thanks everyone. I am anxious to get the camera and other accessories. But then there is that Christmas present issue as well.

k2z86o.jpg

IMGP1072_zpstxsuqrwl.jpg

Unfortunately you cant see the mount , but I purchased a separate mount for the GPS receiver for the G90 ..
It effectively halves the GPS lag from mounting the GPS receiver upside down on the windshield ...

The GPS receiver for the A118c is mounted on the dash , under the dash mat .. And is also reasonably fast ( there is lag )
I no longer have the 0805 , the GPS was too flaky .. I now run a Ausdom A261 with inbuilt GPS

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321718231115This is the mount I use for the GPS receiver

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone confirm the latest firmware for the A118C?

Thanks

Back