GPS help needed

Mathemagic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to all of this. I had one of the B40C A118 dashcams for my birthday and have just got around to installing it. I was also given a GPS antenna.

I've opened my first clips (a journey of about 25 minutes) in Dashcam Viewer but there doesn't seem to be any GPS data.

If the GPS antenna isn't plugged in, I get "No GPS" and if it is, there is nothing displayed apart from what appears to be the speed in the same place.

I've checked in the menu to make sure GPS is turned on.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong greatly appreciated

Tony

if the speed is displayed on the LCD then the GPS is working, you could try Regsitrator Viewer and see how it goes, might be a software problem rather than the camera

jokiin,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried looking for Registrator Viewer but when I try to open the link www.registratorviewer.com I get an unknown host error. Any suggestions where I can download a safe version of the software?

Tony

Thanks jokiin, I'll give that a try and see how I get on.

Fantastic - it works, thank you jokiin - I can even see where I had to turn around due to a road closure!

Hi ,
Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon but am experiencing problems with Datakam. Eventually managed to download from the above mediafire url but when I come to playback I get script error http://maps.google.com/maps-api-v3/api/js/26/8/onion.js. This keeps on popping up. The playback is fine but no gps details although I have a gps module connected to the camera. I'm thinking it's to do with the script error and was wondering if there is a fix please.

Thanks for that, the script problem is gone. However I'm still not getting gps info when the video is playing. It doesn't show speed or location. Do I need to change something in the settings or should it be picked up automatically from the movie file?
Cheers

Thanks for that, the script problem is gone. However I'm still not getting gps info when the video is playing. It doesn't show speed or location. Do I need to change something in the settings or should it be picked up automatically from the movie file?
Cheers
Should be automatic. What version firmware is installed on the dashcam itself? You can check it in the menus.

Thanks for your help guys. I've had a fiddle with the camera and it seems the gps connector wasn't pushed in far enough doh!! All working fine now :)

Hi guys,
Having problems with the gps again. Been like this for months now but it's just not recording speed or showing where I am on map. Tried re positioning gps module to no effect. Formatted sd card in dash cam itself and went through all settings and checked gps is on.
When I start her up it first of all shows no gps. After a while that is replaced with a green km/hr so I assume gps picked up. However when I view the recording still no speed or map displayed.
Using Datakam v6.0.0.8 and firmware is A118c.20160316.
Have a feeling the module may be at fault as it was pretty intermittent before but your thoughts appreciated.

is that the firmware version that came on your camera or have you updated it?

which GPS did you buy?

That's the firmware version that came with the dashcam. I wouldn't know how to update it.
I bought the cam and gps from gear best at the same time. The gps is this one http://www.gearbest.com/car-gps-tracker/pp_328503.html

the GPS is a cheap one so may be part of the problem, as your camera came with that firmware you would be able to update to the latest viofo version which does have a number of improvements, probably won't help your GPS to perform any better though unfortunately

Thanks. As this is the 1st dash cam I've had I knew know better and just bought the two together after seeing the youtube video.
Is there a module that you could recommend please?
Also how would I go about updating the firmware?

Thanks. As this is the 1st dash cam I've had I knew know better and just bought the two together after seeing the youtube video.
Is there a module that you could recommend please?
Also how would I go about updating the firmware?

download the firmware, extract the file if it's zipped, copy the bin file to an empty memory card and start the camera with that card and it will automatically update

buy the Viofo supplied GPS and it will work correctly

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the file and will give it a whirl tomorrow in the daylight (UK).
Does it matter which way up the gps module is fixed to the screen? ie should the GPS lettering be the right way up or upside down? Just wondered if it made a difference to picking up signal.

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the file and will give it a whirl tomorrow in the daylight (UK).
Does it matter which way up the gps module is fixed to the screen? ie should the GPS lettering be the right way up or upside down? Just wondered if it made a difference to picking up signal.

the GPS you have would need the GPS lettering facing toward the sky, if you have it mounted the wrong way it would be very sporadic

Hmm so it would appear I've set it up wrong as I assumed the sticky back should be fixed to the windscreen. A set of instructions would've been helpful for us mere mortals. So what do I stick it to so its facing the other way. Back of the mirror or is that too close to the camera and cause interference.
Sorry to be a nuisance in all of this.

Back