GPS internal versus "GPs logger"

JDC01

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
JADO mini 801
I am trying to figure out whether specific advertised dashcams actually have an internal GPS and what it means when they have a GPS logger and support an external GPS.
Does the second description mean I need an external GPS receiver?
Any help much appreciated
JDC01

JDC01 said:
I am trying to figure out whether specific advertised dashcams actually have an internal GPS and what it means when they have a GPS logger and support an external GPS.
Does the second description mean I need an external GPS receiver?
Any help much appreciated
JDC01

There are 3 ways:

1. with no gps antenna at all
2. built in gps antenna
3. external antenna

there are no dash cameras with built in gps antenna and option of external gps antenna.

Built in or external gps antenna dash cameras, - they both have so called "GPS LOGGER" function, but in most cases if advertised as "gps logger", - it means that you can buy an external gps antenna separately. If does not mentiond having "gps logger", - then those dash cams dont have option of using external gps antennas.
The difference between built-in and external gps sytems is antenna size and mount position.
Some built in gps antenna dash cams have very small and week gps receiver due to the limited space ( usually built into the bracket or internally ) so they are not as fast to lock on satellite and not that accurate, but it all depends on who is dash cam manufacturer. Some Korean models I have tested with internal gps antenna performed ok.

I am personally prefer external GPS antenna dash cameras.

JDC01 said:
Many thanks. I am most appreciative.
JDC01

You are welcome.

One more thing need to keep in mind.
Sample:

you see there from specifications: "GPS logger: optional"
It means that this particular model ( gt680w ) with that price advertised, - does not have built in GPS logger option. If you think you buy this dash camera and later want to add gps antenna, - nothing will work, - gt680w as it is now there does not have gps logger option built in. You need to wait for other model with gps logger option + gps antenna.

Built-In GPS

Below is "built in gps module" , - you find from description:

External GPS module:

Back