Gps mount not working.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been using my pro for the last few weeks hardwired and plugged into the mount working fine. Parking mode GPS all good. Today the cam had no power. I had to unplug the power from the GPS Mount and plug it directly into the side of the cam to get the cam to power up. Now there is a notice in the bottom right of the screen saying no GPS. The cam won't power at all through the mount now. Only the side power port on the cam.

Anyone had this issue?

Not heard of that issue before, what power source are you using?

That's a bit sad, the GPS mount is shared with the A129 Duo and A129 IR, so is known to be reliable, but there can always be the odd failure. I guess it is time to contact the supplier and see if they will just send you a replacement mount...

Seems it could be the camera. Tried another known working a129cam on the gps mount and GPS worked fine. Power travels through the GPS mount OK too. Seems there is a problem with power getting from the cam to the mount on my pro.

So you confirmed it is not the mount issue, it is the camera issue?

Yes. Mount is working fine with my other A129. Iv raised support ticket.
Sparkyy,
Would you please let me know if you ever got this fixed, or did you find out what was causing this issue?
I just had the same problem happen to me. Cam was working fine when first installed. Ran fine for the last 3 months, then all of sudden the cam would not power up (had some issues where recording would not auto-start upon starting the car in the last month - maybe a warning that something was going to break in the cam). Plugged power directly to the cam, and it works (of course, with no GPS info). Viofo sent me another GPS mount, and the cam didn't power on with the new GPS mount either. Before I tried the new GPS mount, I did update the firmware and reformatted my SD card. I just RMA's my cam to the seller for a replacement, so we'll see if this solves the issue, but interested to hear your final outcome. Thanks.

Welcome to DCT @eman006 :)
In the future when you're doing diagnostics it's best to change only one thing at a time even when the steps worked correctly before ;) Probably didn't matter here but it could be a clue of what the trouble was had been in the card pre-format or the firmware pre-update. While you're waiting for the replacement use "CrystalDiskMark" to check your card speed, as the A129 Pro needs fast write speeds and one slow sector or file can trip it up. This test does take awhile but it's quite comprehensive and effective.

Phil

Welcome to DCT @eman006 :)
In the future when you're doing diagnostics it's best to change only one thing at a time even when the steps worked correctly before ;) Probably didn't matter here but it could be a clue of what the trouble was had been in the card pre-format or the firmware pre-update. While you're waiting for the replacement use "CrystalDiskMark" to check your card speed, as the A129 Pro needs fast write speeds and one slow sector or file can trip it up. This test does take awhile but it's quite comprehensive and effective.

Phil
Thanks for the recommendation. I did perform sequential step-by-step troubleshooting: reformatted the card first - no luck, then updated the FW, again, no luck.
So I'm running a Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB card and got the below results with CrystalDiskMark. Looks like it is achieving its claimed 30 MB/s write speed but not its 100 MB/S read speed. Any feedback on the data below would be appreciated since my knowledge is limited on this subject. Thanks!:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes
[Read]
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 39.217 MB/s [ 37.4 IOPS] <209392.86 us>
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 38.376 MB/s [ 36.6 IOPS] < 27276.05 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 4.738 MB/s [ 1156.7 IOPS] <270764.52 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 4.410 MB/s [ 1076.7 IOPS] < 921.27 us>
[Write]
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 29.573 MB/s [ 28.2 IOPS] <273999.32 us>
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 29.565 MB/s [ 28.2 IOPS] < 35303.52 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 0.479 MB/s [ 116.9 IOPS] <614198.13 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 2.353 MB/s [ 574.5 IOPS] < 1729.14 us>
Profile: Default
Test: 1 GiB (x5) [Interval: 5 sec] <DefaultAffinity=DISABLED>
Date: 2020/03/17 22:15:34

It's write speed you have to worry about and that looks great. It's one of the best cards you can use for dashcams right now :)

Phil

Sparkyy,
Would you please let me know if you ever got this fixed, or did you find out what was causing this issue?
I just had the same problem happen to me. Cam was working fine when first installed. Ran fine for the last 3 months, then all of sudden the cam would not power up (had some issues where recording would not auto-start upon starting the car in the last month - maybe a warning that something was going to break in the cam). Plugged power directly to the cam, and it works (of course, with no GPS info). Viofo sent me another GPS mount, and the cam didn't power on with the new GPS mount either. Before I tried the new GPS mount, I did update the firmware and reformatted my SD card. I just RMA's my cam to the seller for a replacement, so we'll see if this solves the issue, but interested to hear your final outcome. Thanks.
In the end after tryin a new mount and a few other things viofo exchanged the cam and it works fine now. The mount was fine.

In the end after tryin a new mount and a few other things viofo exchanged the cam and it works fine now. The mount was fine.
Glad to hear. BTW, I'm catching up on the FW thread and haven't completed reading through (on page 12 out of 34), but I read about possibility that "dirty"power may be messing up the camera due to being connected to HK3 kits. I have mine connected to the Cellink Neo battery which is hardwired in the car (had it connected to GPS mount). While I catch up on the forum threads, have there been any discussions possibly linking connection via HK3 kit or to battery pack to the failure of the cameras?

Glad to hear. BTW, I'm catching up on the FW thread and haven't completed reading through (on page 12 out of 34), but I read about possibility that "dirty"power may be messing up the camera due to being connected to HK3 kits. I have mine connected to the Cellink Neo battery which is hardwired in the car (had it connected to GPS mount). While I catch up on the forum threads, have there been any discussions possibly linking connection via HK3 kit or to battery pack to the failure of the cameras?
Bump. Any insight from anyone? Thx.

Back