GPS not always starting up.

Nemo1966

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to car cameras, this is actually my first and it came with the absolutely dismal 2.000 firmware. So as you can guess I wasn't impressed having to downgrade to the 1.009 firmware on a brand new 300 pounds bit of kit.

Anyway all seem to be ok now, except that when the car goes into parking mode for a couple of hours. When moving the car again the gps often then just fails to come on. I have read advice on the blackvue UK forums saying that the gps might not lock because of cloud cover etc but I do not think this is the case because (now here is the strange thing) if I press the wifi button (turning the wifi on) the GPS locks almost instantly.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Ps I couldn't ask this question on the blackvue UK forum because the register link doesn't work (that in itself doesn't fill me with confidence).

Thanks
Nemo

.Ps I couldn't ask this question on the blackvue UK forum because the register link doesn't work (that in itself doesn't fill me with confidence).Thanks Nemo
My GPS is very intermittent.. some trips it comes on some not. My dealer has offered to replace my DR650 1Ch but for the moment I am leaving it as too much trouble. But re the UK forum.. it seems to be dead. No recent posts but a lot of useful information I thought. It takes "someone".. to run any forum (s) and without those dedicated people they die..
P.S.
Thank you to our moderators. :)

New to car cameras, this is actually my first and it came with the absolutely dismal 2.000 firmware. So as you can guess I wasn't impressed having to downgrade to the 1.009 firmware on a brand new 300 pounds bit of kit.

Anyway all seem to be ok now, except that when the car goes into parking mode for a couple of hours. When moving the car again the gps often then just fails to come on. I have read advice on the blackvue UK forums saying that the gps might not lock because of cloud cover etc but I do not think this is the case because (now here is the strange thing) if I press the wifi button (turning the wifi on) the GPS locks almost instantly.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Ps I couldn't ask this question on the blackvue UK forum because the register link doesn't work (that in itself doesn't fill me with confidence).

Thanks
Nemo

I have a similar experience. Although mine comes on after max a couple of mins.

Not tried messing with the WiFi button. Might be worth reinstalling the firmware or setting the cam to have WiFi switched off at startup (or on if that's how it's currently set).

My GPS is very intermittent.. some trips it comes on some not. My dealer has offered to replace my DR650 1Ch but for the moment I am leaving it as too much trouble. But re the UK forum.. it seems to be dead. No recent posts but a lot of useful information I thought. It takes "someone".. to run any forum (s) and without those dedicated people they die..
P.S.
Thank you to our moderators. :)

Yes this is exactly what mine does. I am going to ask the supplier tomorrow as he seems to be in direct contact with blackvue uk.

I have a similar experience. Although mine comes on after max a couple of mins.

Not tried messing with the WiFi button. Might be worth reinstalling the firmware or setting the cam to have WiFi switched off at startup (or on if that's how it's currently set).

With mine it either comes on or just doesn't UNLESS I press the wifi button. Wifi is set to come on, on startup. So will change it and see.

Question, wifi on startup - does that mean startup from cold (complete power disconnect) or everytime the car moves? I ask because the wifi only ever comes on from disconnect startup.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
I think it's startup from cold. Not sure about parking mode.

I had this reply today from BlackVue on Faceache. But it relates to V2.0 firmware.

22786df02051449e51bd335451040820.jpg

So basically they are fixing the GPS issue with a new firmware. However the new firmware will have lower quality bitrate and added crud (cloud). So if you don't use the cloud rubbish and want good quality graphics then you must stay on 1.009.

hmmmmmmmmmmm... is that really a fix?

Just saw that on Faceache.

As I said on there I didn't think the image quality of V2.0 at 6mbps was bad. Not sure V1.009 at 8.5mbps is 30% better though.

Created an account because I have this same problem. Doesn't seem to be an issue with weather conditions or interference. Do you plan on updating the firmware once they do the "fix"?

I will just to see how it performs.

I never had an issue with notifications but only had it on a couple of days.

Me getting the same problem on the GPS. Usually it takes couple of minutes and now (for the past 2 weeks) it takes me 20minutes. I am going to reinstall my firmware V1.009 today and see if this will go away.

Thank you

Me getting the same problem on the GPS. Usually it takes couple of minutes and now (for the past 2 weeks) it takes me 20minutes. I am going to reinstall my firmware V1.009 today and see if this will go away.

Thank you
Before you do, did you try pressing the wifi button? Just out of interest... as my gps would then start immediately.

Firmware V2.001 out today.

I've installed and so far so good, not been for a drive yet though.

Thanks for the info - I think I will wait to see how it performs first! o_O

Likewise.

Jay you are the official Guinea pig for V2.001 :D

Back