GPS not always starting up.

New to car cameras, this is actually my first and it came with the absolutely dismal 2.000 firmware. So as you can guess I wasn't impressed having to downgrade to the 1.009 firmware on a brand new 300 pounds bit of kit.

Anyway all seem to be ok now, except that when the car goes into parking mode for a couple of hours. When moving the car again the gps often then just fails to come on. I have read advice on the blackvue UK forums saying that the gps might not lock because of cloud cover etc but I do not think this is the case because (now here is the strange thing) if I press the wifi button (turning the wifi on) the GPS locks almost instantly.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Ps I couldn't ask this question on the blackvue UK forum because the register link doesn't work (that in itself doesn't fill me with confidence).

Thanks
Nemo
Hi Nemo1966
The UK Forum was run by the previous UK Distributor and is now defunct.
I only noticed that my GPS was not working 4 months after I installed it, so it was probably now working since new. It started working in September when the rear camera stopped working. I sent it back to the current UK distributor

New to car cameras, this is actually my first and it came with the absolutely dismal 2.000 firmware. So as you can guess I wasn't impressed having to downgrade to the 1.009 firmware on a brand new 300 pounds bit of kit.

Anyway all seem to be ok now, except that when the car goes into parking mode for a couple of hours. When moving the car again the gps often then just fails to come on. I have read advice on the blackvue UK forums saying that the gps might not lock because of cloud cover etc but I do not think this is the case because (now here is the strange thing) if I press the wifi button (turning the wifi on) the GPS locks almost instantly.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Ps I couldn't ask this question on the blackvue UK forum because the register link doesn't work (that in itself doesn't fill me with confidence).

Thanks
Nemo
Nemo I got binned before finishing my reply. I sent the camera back to the Current UK Distributor in September, and I don't have a clue where it is now. I'll get in touch with Pittasoft in Korea next week. The current Official UK Distributor is NWX Group based in Lanark.

Regards
John

I just received my replacement DR650GW-2ch due to a faulty lens (see https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blurred-video.10257/#post-199395) and have noticed the GPS light to be not lit (blue) sometimes on a 15 minute trip this morning. This afternoon on another 15 minute trip it didn't come on at all. Weather was very overcast, but I never noticed the GPS light not lit with my original 650. I am sure the firmware in the new one is 1.009. I'll give it a few more days (alot more driving tomorrow) and check the footage too.

I am sure the firmware in the new one is 1.009.
I would confirm that... As I recall there was a recent firmware version that had trouble with the GPS function as they were trying to incorporate the "cloud" feature. A brand new 650 may have "that" version of firmware...

After a lot of driving, and heavy overcast weather all day, I'm still no better off with an explanation. Sometimes it takes >10mins before GPS light stays on, other times it seems to work normally. I'll need to wait for clear skies to confirm if the GPS is faulty (however a garmin GPS doesn't have any problems picking up the signal(s)).

I confirmed firmware is 1.009.

I have the 650 1 channel and am also frustrated with when my GPS will connect. Some trips it connects almost instantly.. other days same route it never does or will be very intermittent...as in.. a recent 42 minute local trip had less than 12 minutes of connection time. My dealer has offered to replace it.. but will the new one be any better?? Are replacements new.. or reconditioned?? At the moment I am leaning towards accepting this as a design issue and any replacement will likely be just as bad.

I have the 650 1 channel and am also frustrated with when my GPS will connect. Some trips it connects almost instantly.. other days same route it never does or will be very intermittent...as in.. a recent 42 minute local trip had less than 12 minutes of connection time. My dealer has offered to replace it.. but will the new one be any better?? Are replacements new.. or reconditioned?? At the moment I am leaning towards accepting this as a design issue and any replacement will likely be just as bad.

do you have a vehicle with an athermic windscreen?

do you have a vehicle with an athermic windscreen?
Thanks to the "Google".. I don't know. It is a replacement windscreen on a 2011 (Canadian) Toyota Highlander.. It has a section around the rear view mirror that is black with little holes in it.. And the camera is "just" under that. The windscreen does not seem to impede the GPS signals going to my Garmin..

if the Garmin works ok regardless of where you mount it then it's probably not athermic, windows that are athermic often have sections that are transparent to the signal but this is generally mentioned in the vehicle owners manual, they are more commonly fitted to vehicles in colder climates so the same vehicle may be available in other markets that don't have this feature/problem

What about this guys? Please refer to the screenshot below:-
1. Why are there so many path lines not aligned with the road?
2. GPS still takes some time (more than 10 min) to log on more often despite re-installing v.1009. Maybe the GPS receiver is weak?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

image001.png

well it's a signal issue, faulty, obstruction, interference, a few reasons this can happen

Thanks mate. We can strike out the obstruction and internal interference. The car have no tint, no others transmitter/receiver devices like other GPS, CB Radio and even we tested without turning on the car radio.

Thanks mate. We can strike out the obstruction and internal interference. The car have no tint, no others transmitter/receiver devices like other GPS, CB Radio and even we tested without turning on the car radio.

it's likely faulty, I don't like to make that call if it's not a product I know explicitly so just giving the benefit of the doubt

try it outside the vehicle and you can rule out the other possibilities pretty quickly

What about this guys? Please refer to the screenshot below:-
1. Why are there so many path lines not aligned with the road?
2. GPS still takes some time (more than 10 min) to log on more often despite re-installing v.1009. Maybe the GPS receiver is weak?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
It means you are not connected to enough satellites to get a fix. An interesting feature in http://dashcamviewer.com/ is that it has an option to show how many satellites that video portion you were connected too.. it takes at least 3 to get a fix. The straight lines on your image show a bit of "connect the dots".. (where enough satellites were found to establish a location)

More testing... After two 15 minute trips in partly-cloudy weather (mostly clear sky) the GPS light still took >10mins to come on. I even removed the toll card from directly above it, but it didn't appear to have any affect. I'm thinking it's a faulty replacement unit and surprised it wasn't fully checked prior to it being sent. I'll give it another week or so of testing to see if I get any quicker response from the GPS. I'll leave a full card's worth of trips when I return it so they can see how intermittent the GPS signal is when they get it back.

Last edited:
More testing on almost-clear skies (and hot >35 degree days!) and it's still intermittent. I've looked through Blackvue MyViewer (GPS map as someone posted a screenshot of earlier in this thread) but it's difficult to find a trip which has intermittent signal as it tends to only lock on right near or towards the end of trips.

More testing on almost-clear skies (and hot >35 degree days!) and it's still intermittent. I've looked through Blackvue MyViewer (GPS map as someone posted a screenshot of earlier in this thread) but it's difficult to find a trip which has intermittent signal as it tends to only lock on right near or towards the end of trips.
Have you looked at your files with a different viewer?Try http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html The Blackvue viewer only looks at one segment at a time so it is hard to get an overall picture of how often or little GPS is connected. The Registrator viewer combines all the clips and shows the entire trip.. (and is a much superior viewer as well)
I have very intermittent GPS connection as well..

Back