GPS Question

CRS 123

Reaction score
Country
United States
My new replacement unit has completely fixed the thermal heating focus shift and the video clarity is awesome. I've notice however, that my GPS receive/lock is slow to no-existant. The receiver is away from the camera, in the area of my windshield designated for RF transparency ( for toll transponders etc.) I've tried a couple of different receivers that I had lying around with the same results. Question: Would doing a hard reset possibly help, or reloading the current firmware? Or....it may be possible that in my location (souther california) the satellite GPS signal strength itself is marginal for some reason. Not a super big deal. I'll take great video focus over GPS any day of the week :) The antenna has the short connector cord which I assume means the receiver is flipped to accommodate mounting on the windshield with the 3M tape facing up. Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers
CRS

Just for the test purpose put gps receiver temporary outside car side door, if possible on the roof of the car and see if GPS lock speed will improve. This way can see if there is something to do with your windshield specific or area specific you live in.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

shouldn't be anything to do with firmware, could be the GPS itself or something interfering with the signal

M in the area of my windshield designated for RF transparency ( for toll transponders etc.)

One of these might be good for some with blocked/weak GPS signals.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...er-instant-strong-gps-signal-fast-lock.32544/
(see my video review)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00D3BGKLQ

1515146429117-png.35490

1515146414711-png.35489

One of these might be good for some with blocked/weak GPS signals.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...er-instant-strong-gps-signal-fast-lock.32544/
(see my video review)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00D3BGKLQ

1515146429117-png.35490

Hhhmm.. definelty something to consider. I'm driving a Jaguar F-type so configuring it may be interesting. I guess I might try the easy way first, which would be to put the repeater's receiver under the back hatch window area somewhere, and then put the transmitter up on the dash tucked in a corner. Then I guess I would have to open up the Street guardian receiver and flip the inside receiver module around so that it faces inside the car. Might be interesting to see if it works :)

Check the owners manual for the car and see if it mentions any areas of the window which are transparent to GPS signal, some euro cars have athermic windows which will inhibit signal so they leave a section untreated, if this is the case then it is normally mentioned in the manual

Check the owners manual for the car and see if it mentions any areas of the window which are transparent to GPS signal, some euro cars have athermic windows which will inhibit signal so they leave a section untreated, if this is the case then it is normally mentioned in the manual
Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the "see through" areas up around the rear view mirror as stated in the manual. Even so, the GPS signal is still weak.
CRS

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the "see through" areas up around the rear view mirror as stated in the manual. Even so, the GPS signal is still weak.
CRS

we can send you a replacement GPS if you think that's the issue, if you get the same results though it may be something to do with the vehicle itself

Could it be a case of the antenna being turned the wrong way in the housing ? things like that always seem to bring about a slower connection time.

BTW ! in regard to trouble shooting in cases like this, wouldn't it be nice if one was able to see on the display ( maybe footage too ) how many satellites one are connected to.
Personally i wpuld not mind if the LCD got spammed more in icons, after all i dont look much at it.

we can send you a replacement GPS if you think that's the issue, if you get the same results though it may be something to do with the vehicle itself
Thank you for your kind offer and great customer service as usual, I suspect though, that is has to do with a combination of my windshield and GPS signal strength in my area. I recall periods of time when , in my area, reliable GPS devices got somewhat intermittent. For instance, this morning, just driving around to the gas station and the market, I achieved GPS lock in about a minute..GO FIGURE! :)...where yesterday, nothing. Perhaps I should call up Space X and ask them to launch a dedicated GPS satellite for dashcam users :)
CRS

Could it be a case of the antenna being turned the wrong way in the housing ? things like that always seem to bring about a slower connection time.

BTW ! in regard to trouble shooting in cases like this, wouldn't it be nice if one was able to see on the display ( maybe footage too ) how many satellites one are connected to.
Personally i wpuld not mind if the LCD got spammed more in icons, after all i dont look much at it.
Yes! I love the idea to satellite connect data. The more data the merrier! Your right...I should check the housing to make sure the antenna is not flipped. With mass production items like this, it's entirely feasible that entire batches got flipped before QC caught the error. Thanks for your input.
CRS

Hhhmm.. definelty something to consider. I'm driving a Jaguar F-type so configuring it may be interesting. I guess I might try the easy way first, which would be to put the repeater's receiver under the back hatch window area somewhere, and then put the transmitter up on the dash tucked in a corner. Then I guess I would have to open up the Street guardian receiver and flip the inside receiver module around so that it faces inside the car. Might be interesting to see if it works [emoji4]

You don’t need to flip anything. The repeated signal is so strong it just needs to be near by and it works great any orientation. (Same room for me at least and several feet away)

I should check the housing to make sure the antenna is not flipped. With mass production items like this, it's entirely feasible that entire batches got flipped before QC caught the error. Thanks for your input.
CRS

We’ve sold quite a few of the new style pre-flipped GPS. (No reports of QC flip issues) The chances of that are quite low I think. If I need to send you a new GPS to test with it’s no problem. I’ll even pre-test it etc.

The antennas now are build for mounting on the windscreen and so the tape side up, but the old housings at least it was possible to flip the antenna inside as many of us did cuz back then ( SG9665GC V1 ) the GPS mouse was meant for dashboard install and so the tape down.
So i was thinking maybe if the assembly guy had been preoccupied with liking cupcake pictures on facetwitt,,,, i know its out on a limb but worth a try i think as its after all not a surgical procedure.

I have seen a few cameras have the number of satellites in the footage too, not sure if that's needed there but on the LCD screen for troubleshooting it would be fine, cuz in this case you could then see at once that you only get 3 satellites or so at best, and so something got to be wrong with antenna or your reception of GPS satellites in the car.

How abouy using other GPS things in the car ? like google maps on the phone or a NAV unit, how is that working for you ??

How abouy using other GPS things in the car ? like google maps on the phone or a NAV unit, how is that working for you ??
All other devices Phone, Netradar GPS are all rock solid.

We’ve sold quite a few of the new style pre-flipped GPS. (No reports of QC flip issues) The chances of that are quite low I think. If I need to send you a new GPS to test with it’s no problem. I’ll even pre-test it etc.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know on your kind offer to send out another gps.....for now, i'll try and tinker with it for awhile and see what I can come up with :)
CRS

Okay, something are fishy then, but it dosent really matter much as you are "in bed" with the right guys, so i am sure they will have you up and running as you would expect to be soon.

All other devices Phone, Netradar GPS are all rock solid.

phone is never a good indicator as they use A-GPS which can work places were basic GPS won't

the Netradar I'm not familiar with though, if that's nearby it's possible it could be an interference issue of some sort, don't know enough about the product to be sure but might be worth checking if it's having any effect on things or not

Back