GPS question

amy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I am new to this form. Thank you to everyone for all the informative post. I just ordered a Panorama G (still shipping ) and was wondering if it's possible to remove the gps/ speed info on the video after I transfer it to a computer b/c I don't like my speed documented? What program should I use if it's possible?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a member of an accident reconstruction organization here in the southwest USA. If you know how many frames per second are on the video and have a video player which can go frame by frame, I can use landmarks to get your distance travelled per second (say 30 frames). I can go to the scene and measure the distance from the camera video.

I've done it in person. My calculation was within 1 mph of another GPS speed and it agreed with a Conservation of Linear Momentum reconstruction analysis, not to mention any data stored in an airbag ECU that can be downloaded.

My advice is, don't bother. You really aren't going to hide anything except from the casual observer. What I'm saying is, if you are involved in a fender-bender type crash, you can strip the data and probably no one at the insurance company or patrol cop will know the difference. However, if you are unfortunate enough to get involved in a fatal or serious injury crash that is analyzed by a competent reconstructionist, then there's very little that can be hidden.

Not to mention, a search warrant could be obtained to seize the raw data.

Just my opinion. Now go drive safely and don't worry about it.

Thanks for the informative post. I might go over the speed limit by 5mph the most. I hope I don't ever need to use the video but it's good to know.

I'm a member of an accident reconstruction organization here in the southwest USA. If you know how many frames per second are on the video and have a video player which can go frame by frame, I can use landmarks to get your distance travelled per second (say 30 frames). I can go to the scene and measure the distance from the camera video.

I've done it in person. My calculation was within 1 mph of another GPS speed and it agreed with a Conservation of Linear Momentum reconstruction analysis, not to mention any data stored in an airbag ECU that can be downloaded.

My advice is, don't bother. You really aren't going to hide anything except from the casual observer. What I'm saying is, if you are involved in a fender-bender type crash, you can strip the data and probably no one at the insurance company or patrol cop will know the difference. However, if you are unfortunate enough to get involved in a fatal or serious injury crash that is analyzed by a competent reconstructionist, then there's very little that can be hidden.

Not to mention, a search warrant could be obtained to seize the raw data.

Just my opinion. Now go drive safely and don't worry about it.
Thanks for

You're right, I should have been more specific. If the crash was a part of a criminal investigation a search warrant may be obtained if the judge agrees there is evidence to aid an investigation.

Of course, this is based upon what happens in my state. It very likely will be a different situation in other locations.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to point out. GPS data is stored in two places.

1) embedded/hidden inside the MP4 file
2) on screen display hard coded font

My suggestion will apply to #1

A quick crop with any other editor will take care of the speed bar at the bottom.

Last edited:
if you throw enough money at something, you can get the results you ate after.

we put humans on the moon, someone can figure out how to manipulate gps data--embedded or no.

heck, there are materials you can cover up the gps sensor with to manipulate that data.

That's not a bad keep it simple DIY idea. Maybe we can just slip over some lead/other blocking material cover piece over the GPS hood/antenna part to fully block GPS signal on demand as another option. ideas?

Pretty much what Ted Y said - there's no good reason to disable or strip GPS data from your dash camera's video since it can always be determined from the visual content itself (by measuring the time it took you to drive from one random landmark to another). There is, however, a pretty good reason to have the GPS data ENABLED, especially your speed on video overlay - you can use such video to brag about your driving to your friends, like for example show them that you managed to reach 95mph on a certain road with 50mph limit sign clearly visible in same video (I might, or might not, have such videos) ;-) Just make SURE to NEVER upload such video (where you clearly violate the posted speed limit) ANYWHERE (not on YouTube, not even e-mailing/messaging it to any of your friends - just play it on your own device when showing it to them), regardless if you have a visible speed on the overlay or not.

That's not a bad keep it simple DIY idea. Maybe we can just slip over some lead/other blocking material cover piece over the GPS hood/antenna part to fully block GPS signal on demand as another option. ideas?

I think that would be called the Panorama S.

Yes Panorama S is an option for a new shopper that doesn't want GPS
Street Guardian has a few more features in the firmware. Both MPH/KPH and Daylight Savings/Timezone. The new package coming soon will also come with a bunch of nice extra accessories. (new photos/details coming soon)
Some people just prefer the G's quick release T-Bracket over the U-Bracket with bolt of S as well.

Is this new package out yet? i am looking at buying a G sometime soon. any details yet?

is your site down? I can't seem to get onto it at the moment.

Back