GPS speed function

cameo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys!
New user here, trying to select a dual dash cam for a Mustang convertible. If you connect the GPS to SG9663DCPRO, can you set it to record coordinates, but not the speed? I am sure somebody else must have asked this question, but I couldn't find a post. Much appreciated!

you can have speed display turned off from displaying in the video but the speed data along with the co-ordinates data is still logged in the video, playing back with the Dashcam Viewer software will decode that information

GPS is optional as well. If you want to let it just sync the date/time you can leave it unplugged while driving. (Most leave it plugged in but it’s all your preference)

Thanks.
I am aware that GPS is a separate unit. If somebody hits you, it would be nice to have the coordinates without a factual proof that you were doing 75 miles/h along with the traffic though the speed limit was 65. If the GPS is not connected, is the video time-stamped?

the video is still timestamped, better to use GPS though, you can disable your speed from displaying in the video, even without speed video is all you need to work out how fast you were going, speed is just time over distance so easy to count how many frames between two points to determine your speed

Interesting point about interframe speed calculation, I haven't thought of that. When you are saying that one can stop the speed from being displayed in the video, are you talking about live display on the unit screen as the video is being captured or a video as it's being played on the computer after a transfer? Do you mean to that the speed (and other data capture by a GPS unit) is recorded in a separate file and overplayed over the video by a software player, vs being embedded in the video, like hard-coded subtitles?

There is hard coded info in the video, time and date, speed, user text etc which can all be disabled as you choose in the settings menu, data is also logged in the file which can be decoded during playback by using the Dashcam Viewer software, if playing back with media player, vlc etc you don't get the embedded info, only the video

Thank you. So all this information is in a single file? What is the the encoding format?

Your speed can always be determined by the video footage alone, so if you are speeding and worry about it being used against you, then you should not record video.
If you get into any alteration i doubt anyone will use the not calibrated consumer GPS results, but in your video you passing in between 2 things you can go measure the distance in between, and the time from the video it took you to cover that distance will give you the speed.

Still if you are speeding a little as we all are some times, and get slammed by some idiot running a red light, i have a hard time seeing how your additional speed can be blamed for that happening.
If you have turned off speed stamping so that are not in the footage, to get rid of the info still in the container you could just load up the video in any editing software, and then save it again, i assume that will then just be video and the audio and the other stuff that might be in the original file will not be there.

But in a dispute i assume if you are going to use footage the other side will insist on it being the original unedited footage.

Personally i have the speed stamped in my videos, it dont bother me if i speed some times, and if i should get a speeding ticket that way i can only say its about time cuz it will be my first one, and me and over speed are old friends, though today it is not as big a problem like it was like say back in the 90ties.

Many have said over time that installing a dashcam have helped them a little with their own driving, i assume most times that mean speed.

Cops here can not just take my dashcam footage, even if they should see the camera, which many people dont do if it is installed sensible / stealthy.
And it is extremely rare something like a traffic case get into court here, it pretty much just happen if the police drag you in there cuz you have done so much stupid stuff, and they have already taken your license.

Interesting info, kamkar1. I didn't even consider the issue of stealthy installation yet. There doesn't seem to be a large number of break-ins to steal car stereos like there used to be in the nineties, because today's electronics is custom-made for a particular car. Trying to choose a unit for maximum reliability and, perhaps, good quality to film scenic trips, I haven't yet considered the stealthiness aspect. Can't think of how the front unit could be installed stealthily, aside from wiring it from the rear view mirror and hiding the rear cam cable so that you could snatch front unit off at a moments notice. But since the back camera of this particular unit is designed to be mounted inside the car, because mine is a convertible, I would have to mount it on a some kind of a perch in the middle of the rear seat. Not sure how well it would record in the rain being at least a foot and half from the rear window, but if I left the top down, its visibility would surely eventually invite somebody to rip it off out of spite or for a prank. I recently found out that there is a waterproof camera that could be mounted above the licence plate for this model, but haven't seen any videos taken with it. And it drives the price up of an already pretty expensive system. There is also another consideration, for which I probably will open a separate thread. Due to Mustang's excessive width, I find myself damaging front passenger side rim with very low profile summer tires against the curb while doing parallel parking and an ideal system would be able to incorporate a down-looking third camera on the passenger side.

Last edited:
Stealth depend a lot on the layout on your windscreen, some have unreasonable large sensor arrays drooping down on the glass right where its the best place to put a camera.
My favorite are the glass hugging wedge shaped cameras, as even on a plain old windscreen or mounted offset to some sensors, the camera can often come off as a factory sensor of some sort.

you can get ideas to install by browsing the where did you install your dashcam picture thread.

Convertibles are notoriously problematic when it come to 2 channel systems, the best option i think is that some brands do provide a option for a waterproof camera you could mount way out back.
There are also the taxi / uber 2 in one cameras, but as the rear camera are on the windscreen looking out back the 2 front seats and passengers in those can block a lot of the view.
These 2 in one camera are also often not of the most stealthy design, so not something i would consider if you like to be a little stealthy, the rear camera are mainly meant to film passengers in the car for identification purpose in case they do something nasty.

A third camera is also a bit of a challenge, the systems are sort of there ( 3 and 4 channel ) but they are still very immature, and the few side mounted options there are are all meant for looking strait out back and not so much down other than what the field of view provide.
What about good old school analog curb feelers ?

Some cameras still have AV out, but no automated switching like you see on cars with a reversing camera, but some have wifi too but there is always a little lag, just 0.5 second or so which should not be a problem at parking speeds.
But again not really any down facing cameras, and so you have to mount a camera looking back along the side way out front, but that will be a challenge to do and also install, you would probably have to drill a hole in that pony car.

I am not a fan of low profile tires and big diameter wheels, i call it euro trash boy racer wheels, guess im just too old for that stuff, plus i have a big urge to be different and so many do low profile tires and big wheels.
I would even like to have my one +30 years old tattoo removed as now, kids and grandmothers do tattoos, when i got mine only sailors / bikers and criminals had tattoos, and i was a criminal then and a little later sailor too when i cast aside my evil ways.

Thinkware have a 4 channel system with side cameras in the pipeline, but intended install just in front of front door gap on the front fender so do not cover the front wheel, but i assume you could mount it out ahead of the front wheel, but not sure how good a shot down the side to the rear wheel it would give you.

S Korean G-net also make a side camera setuo ( 2 channel ) but it is only 720p, which by all means are fine for navigating a curb, but the fov are not large and to see both wheels you will either have to mount camera as far as you can and still be able to film down the side, or mount both cameras on the same side, with one out back looking forward, but that is a weird solution i think.

A DIY solution might be to get a spare wing mirror from a salvage yard ( i assume plenty have managed to ruin their nice pony car ) then install a camera in it facing strait down, and with a very wide lens, but this will mean you have a lot of fish eye in the footage, and somehow you will have to figure out a way yourself to waterproof the exposed lens and the camera body inside the mirror housing.
And then have it painted in your cars colors.

But a such wide angle lens also distort the image, so with no post processing in the camera the side of your car would look like a banana and it would probably take some getting used to.

Last edited:
Thank you for a boatload of information, Kamkar1. :)
I actually have curb feelers. Unfortunately unlike on a car that I had long time ago, you can not hear a rattling sound on a Mustang when they touch the curb, because they are attached to a plastic skirt, or whatever that part is called. They only make a sound when mounted on a metal part.
I am OK with DIY approach. A side mirror can be pointed down when trying to do a parallel parking backwards. It is when I was doing forward parallel parking that I managed to scratch my chromium front wheel on a couple of occasions. Ford builds mustang-themed laser projectors into the car's side mirrors, and while they might empress a 17 year old girl, I would prefer a downward-pointing camera in that spot. But I've seen small external wateproof cameras being sold for about $20, and I could probably drill another hole in the passenger side mirror and put one in. What I am wondering is if somebody sells a video switch, which could take an input from a rear cam and a side cam and feed it into SG9663DCPRO rear cam input. The device would probably have to be powered which is fine, as long as it can work off car's voltage.

I dont think that's possible, the remote cameras in SG and others use some TX/RX chipset to be able to transmit the video over long cables, so you would at least need a camera that have the same chipset and protocol to talk with the SG main unit.
The cameras from SG and viofo i dont even think are interchangeable, though they look much the same, even if the used the same plugs ( which i am not sure they do having no personal experience with the viofo cameras )

If your car have a multi media center with a AV input, i assume you could wire up a "reversing" camera to that, but then put it in the passenger side mirror.
SG do have a waterproof camera rear camera for the DC/DCpro models.

many years ago i had a 4 channel system in my car with 4 analog cameras with SD resolution, my front camera was a box model and it had 30 X optical magnification, very suitable if i was a PI on a stakeout.
It was wired up to my 2DIN china head unit.

You have to excuse the talking in Danish.

Last edited:
Back