GPS (speed) info missing from Registrator Viewer

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t have the speed info visibly imprinted on the video on my SG9665GV V3. Instead, if I want it, I export it from Registrator Viewer as subtitles (SRT file). This has worked well in the past, but it’s not often that often I want it.

I just got back from a weekend road trip, and there was one video I wanted that info. However, the speed info definitely does not show up in Registrator Viewer like it does in the PDF linked at https://streetguardian.info/support, and exporting a segment with the GPS info subtitles option checked produces no accompanying SRT file.

Three things have changed since the last time I successfully pulled info from my camera in March:

1) My GC was exchanged for a new one due to a persistent focus issue.
2) I updated the firmware on the replacement.
3) I installed the replacement in a different vehicle.

What should I be looking at first?

Do you have the GPS icon on the live LCD screen when you power up the camera?
Red = GPS plugged in signal not yet locked
Green = GPS plugged in, signal locked

Do you have the long cable or short cable pre-flipped window mount GPS?

How far away is the GPS installed from the camera?

Are you using the latest version of RegistratorViewer from the support site along with the windows .reg fix now included as part of the download?

What happens when you view the same video via DashCamViewer.com ?

Post a raw video sample for us to check out too maybe to help figure out what needs to be done.

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Is this a V1/V2/V3 ?

So I went out to look at everything and make a test run today. It looks like the issue may have been that the GPS antenna was plugged in, but not ALL the way. There was a small gap where I could shove it into the port farther. I have the screen set to go off as quickly as possible, and there was no alert or LED indicator anything like that to communicate that anything was amiss. And the antenna was actually more like 4 inches from the camera. But it does appear to be working properly now that I shoved the GPS plug all the way in. It sure would be nice if it were something with a positive lock like an RJ11 style connector or whatever would be appropriate.

Now I'm facing a different problem where the SRT file being generated from Registrator Viewer seems sensible when I look at it in Notepad++ but is not well liked by the "Movies & TV" player in Win10, which I chalked up to Microsoft being stupid. But then uploading it to YouTube, it exhibited the same exact confusion with misplacing the speeds and sometimes stacking two or three speeds at the same time, etc. I experimented with taking snippets only from a single chunk of video (no overlap between 3-minute segments) but that didn't fix it, either.

The version of Registrator Viewer is the same version as what I downloaded this afternoon from the Support page just to make sure. Is there something I need to know? It seems like it should work better than this. Here are screenshots of the config, a couple example screenshots of the error, and the text of a sample SRT since it won't let me attach it as a file. What in the world is going on?

POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: The only thing I've found to get a proper SRT result is to export a fragment as a single file with GPS included in the meta-info of the track. Then open that video in Registrator Viewer, take a fragment out of THAT, exporting the GPS info as an SRT subtitles file. Just tried that before I posted.

PS I was able to verify that with the current firmware it tracks up to 129 mph ;)

RV-Export.png

RV-SRT-WTF2.png

Attachments

• RV-SRT-WTF.png
    RV-SRT-WTF.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 8
You are not the first one to do the not fully seated antenna plug or antenna plug in wrong socket.

In that regard i would love if SG changed the AV out to a 2.5 mm jack and kept the GPS at 3.5 mm

Not least as i have at least one 2.5 mm -> phone adapter from god know where.

you're not the first to find out the GPS plug wasn't fully seated

the subtitle files I'm not sure, don't get a lot of feedback on that ever since we added on screen display of speed in the video

Will there be a new or updated software recommendation to accommodate the new DC? I seem to recall reading that the author of Registrator Viewer met an unfortunate and untimely end, and that DashCam Viewer was being updated with DC support. Does that software compare favorably to Registrator Viewer? I’m open to looking at other packages that may not suffer from the same bugs.

there are a couple of playback options for DC coming, to date none have much in the way of the advanced features seen in Registrator Viewer though

...Does that software compare favorably to Registrator Viewer?...
Only if you have a 'high end' system running Windows 10 or an Apple box.

Only if you have a 'high end' system running Windows 10 or an Apple box.

I have core i7 PC's with 32GB of RAM, SSD hard drives and decent quad head video cards and Registrator Viewer still smacks all the others around when it comes to performance

I have core i7 PC's with 32GB of RAM, SSD hard drives and decent quad head video cards and Registrator Viewer still smacks all the others around when it comes to performance
Agree. RV will run more than adequately on any machine I currently own, including those that have been replaced due to being a bit 'long in the tooth'. I can't say that for any other dash cam specific S/W - although Nextbase Replay 3 performs very well but is platform specific and doesn't have the same breadth of functionality.

there are a couple of playback options for DC coming,...
Can you elaborate on this?... or are you 'sworn to secrecy? ;)

Back