GPS track missing?

fakej

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,

I have just bought brand new A119S-G v2, right after unpacking I have updated to the latest firmware http://www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A119S/A119S_171121_V2.2.7z
I also made sure the GPS is on in the settings, made a 15m test drive and couldn't find directory with GPS track anywhere. Any idea what could be the issue? Is it only my problem or something

oh, I just realized the gps data is embedded with the video file. Any idea how to simply make it work with "Registrator viewer" or any other free software for dash cam recordings?

Use DashCam Viewer. GPS info does not work with Registrator Viewer.

will also work with the Nextbase Replay 3 software
Thank you for your suggestion, that's quite cool however it does not seem to support acceleration options when playing video from viofo, so there is a little drawback of acceleration graph occupying place on the screen but not displaying any data.
I thought it should not be very complex to export GPS data with something like exiftool and convert to format that is accepted by Registrator Viewer. Unfortunately I can see the last update of Registration Viewer is from 2014 so I guess it's no longer supported. That's a pitty it is such a cool tool.

I have tried it but unfortunately the free version of DashcamViewer has a bad limitation of max 5 video files.
It’s 5 max at one time. Just load five files at a time.

Unfortunately I can see the last update of Registration Viewer is from 2014 so I guess it's no longer supported. That's a pitty it is such a cool tool.

sadly the developer of Registrator Viewer was killed in an accident a few years ago

I don't think the G-Sensor data is logged to file anyway so you wouldn't see that info anyway

Oh, I'm sorry I was completely unaware of that sad fact about Vadim.

@viofo @VIOFO_Support
If you refer to the above mentioned thread on the Exiftool forum you could find that Phil Harvey, the exiftool developer is trying to extract the metadata from video file but parsing such file is quite challenging without having a knowledge what exactly the file format is. Would you be able to share with the community the format of GPS data, G-Sensor data and other kind of metadata you use in viofo cameras?

Novatrakt can already extract the GPX files, Phil Harvey should not start working from the scratch to discover the GPS data which already was discovered by Rob Trehy. Unfortunately the official download link is not working so I attached the program here.

Attachments

• NovaTrakt-v2.4.exe.zip
    238.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for sharing that. Well, I guess Phil might have been unaware of that tool (I wasn't). Anyway executable file is not a replacement for a proper documentation. But I noticed in the thread you mentioned @SergeiF already wrote a python script doing that!
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/script-to-extract-gps-data-from-novatek-mp4.20808/
If this is still up-to-date it can be a significant help.

the part that would help is he can use them to extract the data from the files and make sure what he is seeing is the same, as he mentioned knowing what the co-ordinates should be is also helpful to make sure he has the correct data

Yes, I know that Robs work was started from SergeiF work. At that time I was asked SergeiF to create an executable to make peoples life more easy when extracting the GPS data but he said is better people to learn using python. Lucky for me at least, @RobTrehy made the executable. I hope Rob will go further as I see in the screenshot of Novatrakt 3 and make also a player.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ultimately executable is what end users need but as long as the file format is not known the source code that parses video file is a precious piece of information.
Anyway it would be great to get information from @viofo what is the status of G-sensor data. As @jokiin previously mentioned that kind of data might be not stored in the metadata at the moment. I have no idea if this is a chipset feature or something that needs to be implemented in the firmware but it would be great to have such feature in place if possible.

what is the status of G-sensor data. As @jokiin previously mentioned that kind of data might be not stored in the metadata at the moment. I have no idea if this is a chipset feature or something that needs to be implemented in the firmware but it would be great to have such feature in place if possible.

the G-Sensor data is really only useful if you have a player to interpret the data

Reactions: Mtz
the G-Sensor data is really only useful if you have a player to interpret the data
I believe such player sooner or later is going to be created and by that time if only we know how to extract G-sensor data it should be easy task to convert it to the text format that is understood by Registrator Viewer. Now the challenge is to get this data.

I believe such player sooner or later is going to be created and by that time if only we know how to extract G-sensor data it should be easy task to convert it to the text format that is understood by Registrator Viewer. Now the challenge is to get this data.

I don't think the G-Sensor data is logged to file, even if it was it is unlikely to ever work with Registrator Viewer unless the data was converted into some format that matched another camera that RV is setup for, RV identifies the files to determine which camera the file is from and sets the parameters accordingly for playback

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H A119S 4
M A119S 8
S A119S 20
Back