GPS tracker for your car, these any good?

there's some info on Whirlpool on some different models, might be worth having a look there also

Îve always wondered, if used one, and your car was stolen, cam you just activate your subscription even a year later and find it?

i ve always wondered why an hidden old android phone and a tracker app or find my phone cant be used....

i ve always wondered why an hidden old android phone and a tracker app or find my phone cant be used....
I thought about that too but you'd need it powered which would be inconvenient and you probably need service for it to use the "gps."

We were evaluating some commercial units at work. A couple of times they "froze" showing vehicles as being stationary for a number of hours, when they weren't.

Reactions: Mtz
Îve always wondered, if used one, and your car was stolen, cam you just activate your subscription even a year later and find it?
simcards expire after a year of inactivity i have been told. so youll need to replace simcard first then activate. if no car then you cant.

cant see a problem with it switched on and charged via a simple timer for an hour or so a day.....
cant see a problem with a payg 3 sim that never expires.....and if you dial out every couple of months to check the credit your sim wont expire...

Not to forget... these tracking apps are designed to "find your phone" including in a car !

I'm looking into doing some GPS tracking product later on and just seeing what's out there that gets the closest to the mark (that needs the least amount of fixing) for what we'd want

these ones hit the mark for me pretty well and do what I want for good price. I did make the mistake of getting a clone one first up as it was half the price, but was only half as good and very unreliable.

hopefully ok, I currently have been using for the last 4 years this one http://www.gpstrackerchina.com/p107-GPS-Portable-Tracker-TK102-2/i just want to upgrade with newer stuff and external antennas.

I "fixed" the power cable on one similar to that recently, a very cheap clone I believe, which had a non-standard 12 pin USB plug. This was very thin and had snapped off, although I expect it would have been ok if the unit had been installed more securely in the tractor.

Don't think much of the idea of using a mobile phone style / usb power connector though, I'd want something with more durable latching connectors - the type you'd expect to find in car wiring looms.

Would also think it better if the unit didn't have GPS tracker printed on it, better to be plain and look like some nondescript car component.

Last edited:
Don't think much of the idea of using a mobile phone style / usb power connector though, I'd want something with more durable latching connectors - the type you'd expect to find in car wiring looms.

Would also think it better if the unit didn't have GPS tracker printed on it, better to be plain and look like some nondescript car component.
the previous one I have in there now has also a USB connector, I have not had any issues with this in the 4 years its been installed.
I will scrub the gps tracker off of it so its a black box and write mobile phone car kit on it.

tracker arrives in the mail tomorrow, but I havent ordered another sim card yet, will do that tomorrow as well.
posted Friday in china arrives to me Monday. faster than Australia express post interstate.

Need to try and find some solution for when they cut the 2G networks off next year, a lot of systems out there that are going to need upgrading

oh crap, don't tell me that. is this thing only 2G? how do you know?

That one I have no idea, there are a heap of 2G ones out in the market now though that are going to need changing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Off Topic 5
V Off Topic 0
S Off Topic 3
mollydog Off Topic 6
Back