GPS unit getting too hot and shuts down system

djhash

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the 0906 with the latest firmware (Jan)

The cam is powered through the cigarette lighter plug and everything seemed fine at first. But lately the camera has been falling off and I thought it was because I was parked under the sun and I didn’t properly prepare the surfaces.

So last week after it fell off, I removed the tape from the GPS unit and cleaned the surface with alcohol wipes and made sure it was dry, and did the same with the windshield.

It still kept on falling and whenever I pushed the GPS aunt onto the glass, I felt the unit was warm!

Today, I was on a 25-30 minute trip (mostly highway). During the trip the camera was resetting itself multiple time. And by the time I reached my destination it was completely off. I held on to the GPS unit and it wa very hot to the touch. The center part was so hot I couldn’t hold onto it for more than second!!

i unplugged it and plugged it back in after 5 seconds and it came back on. The temperature on screen showed 72 degrees Celsius. But the GPS unit was still very hot.

Do I have a defective GPS unit?

Should I do more tests? Like connecting through the other side of GPS unit, or bypass it and connect directly to camera body? Maybe disconnect rear cam? Would the logs help in this situation? Also I’d like to know where the temp sensor is located? I tried it again after being disconnected for about 4hrs and I got a single restart and the temp read 60C.

If it’s a defect, would I be able to RMA the gps unit alone? Or the entire device? I still have original box. Oh, and this was purchased from Amazon branded as Blueskysea.

If it’s a defect, would I be able to RMA the gps unit alone? Or the entire device? I still have original box. Oh, and this was purchased from Amazon branded as Blueskysea.
Hey @djhash You can Tag me for help for Blueskysea mini0906,and will PM you details for warranty.

Back