GPS unit issue

Sideshow Dashcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Koonlung K1S
Hello, first time poster here.
My K1S has been installed a couple of months now, and worked fine until last week when it suddenly started leaving gaps in the recordings. Driving along I would hear beeps to tell me that recording had stopped, followed a few seconds later by the "recording started" voice.
I noticed that the GPS unit seemed to be emitting a high pitched noise too, like an old telly.
I've unplugged the GPS unit and run the camera without it and the noise stopped, and the cameras run seamlessly now too, so I think the GPS unit may be faulty.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their K1S?

If you can reproduce the problem and it happens even when using another memory card, sounds like RMA time.
It has a brand new class 10 micro SD card in it, so I haven't suspected that. The system works fine without the GPS unit. It is only experiencing issues when I have the GPS attachment plugged in.

Hi, I have the same problem with my unit stoping and starting and having gaps in the recordings. It worked fine for the first week and then I started having problems. I have tried using a new SD card but that hasn't corrected the fault. I will try disconnecting the GPS today an will let you know how my unit reacts

That actually sounds more like a bad or corroded power connection. Could you have moved the wires enough when you unplugged it? Could lowering the electric draw made the difference for a frayed or cut wire? Could several months of road bumps sealed the inevitable? Strange stuff happens when electronics see low voltage.

Back