GPS values

fozrider

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hello I purchased the version with the GPS module. I'm about to install the camera after a test. The GPS coordinates show in the movie, however is it possible to have them in an additional file on the SD card so that software like DashCam Viewer can display a map of the route?

It should with the GPS player Dashcam viewer and DVPlayer :)

hello I purchased the version with the GPS module. I'm about to install the camera after a test. The GPS coordinates show in the movie, however is it possible to have them in an additional file on the SD card so that software like DashCam Viewer can display a map of the route?
Most modern dashcams are recorded coordinates in a single file (in hidden form) with video and there is no separate file for recording GPS coordinates, players can find this data in a video file and display the track on a map.
It should with the GPS player Dashcam viewer and DVPlayer :)

Right, I'll go for a ride tmw and see if a map shows up in DashCam Viewer. When I was stationary in the test just the GPS coordinates displayed in the lower left of the recorded video.

@Leonauto and @fozrider What is the ideal cut-off voltage for a motorcycle battery? The default cut-off value for the B1M hardwire kit is 11.4! We can adjust it to be 11.6V. So, what is your opinion?

I don't like to run my batteries below 12.4V. Below that sulfation starts to occur and shortens the battery life. One of my bikes has been inactive for 3 weeks and it's now at 12.5 V. Any longer than that and I put them on a trickle charger. I'll fully charge the bike with the B1M and see what happens.

12.4V? Is that value too high?

Not really, from what I've read on MC forums and from Optimate (battery charger company) anything below 12.4 V causes problems. My bike usually draws only 3-5 mAh when it's inactive. In winter I take the batteries out and put them on a trickle charger. If the unit draws 30 mAh I'll have to keep a very close eye on it!

From what I can make out the unit needs to stay on a few seconds after the bike is turned off to write files. I wonder how long that actually is? I could hook the red wire
up to a delayed circuit that powers off after about 20s.

Since most motorcycles use AGM batteries, a voltage level of up to 12.0V is allowed. This corresponds to approximately 50% of the charge.
PS: information from different sources may vary

If only one setting is possible it needs to be high enough to allow for older batteries which are not maintained well.

Back when I worked at a motorcycle shop we sold a lot of batteries because of abuse, mostly when people parked the bike for winter doing none of the recommended storage procedures including disconnecting and/or float-charging the battery. Also with their batteries so small, it doesn't take much sulphation or normal wear to leave it unable to start a cold bike. So for most sport bikes, a 12.2V cutoff is probably pushing it as far as you can go while touring bikes with larger batteries might be able to go a bit lower.

In all honesty, if you want parking mode protection on a bike for more than a half-hour or so, I would highly recommend using a powerbank based source.

Phil

From what I can make out the unit needs to stay on a few seconds after the bike is turned off to write files. I wonder how long that actually is? I could hook the red wire
up to a delayed circuit that powers off after about 20s.

Not necessary. The file-saving function of a dashcam is built-in and will be powered by it's internal LiPo battery or supercaps.

To be sure there's no problems with this, when I check the SD card on my PC occasionally as normal maintenance, I always check the last file to be sure it closes properly because in a crash that is the one you will need the most. If in doing this you discover that only the last file can't be viewed it usually indicates a problem with the cam's battery or supercaps.

Phil

Back to the GPS values. After a test ride the Lat and Long plus speed show up in the bottom left corner of the video. DashCam Viewer definitely doesn't find a GPS file so no map is displayed and no speedometer etc in the DashCam Viewer dashboard. There are also no hidden files or folders in the DCIM folder on the SD card.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.12.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.12.38 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Internet must be connected while browsing

Yes, I'm on my computer and the internet is working. I'm going to clone the DCIM file on the SD card and send it to DashCam Viewer support.

Yes, I'm on my computer and the internet is working. I'm going to clone the DCIM file on the SD card and send it to DashCam Viewer support.
PM me your email address, I will send you our GPS player!

Back