Grainy, poorly defined daytime footage

Doesn't look like you are using a CPL but if you are then it may be worth removing it for the next few months unless the sun comes out, put it back on in the spring.
Actually I am using a CPL, without the filter you see significantly more dashboard reflections (seems worse at night). I had wondered whether creating a custom lens cowl might help reduce this, but suspect it wouldn't work especially well in practice.

Actually I am using a CPL, without the filter you see significantly more dashboard reflections (seems worse at night). I had wondered whether creating a custom lens cowl might help reduce this, but suspect it wouldn't work especially well in practice.

The purpose of a lens hood is to keep off-axis light from reflecting off the front element of the lens. Windshield reflections are from the windshield, so a lens hood will not help at all.

Taking the CPL off will be a tradeoff. I am planning to run full time without a CPL because I value the extra 1.5 stops of light more than eliminating reflections.

The CPL roughly doubles the motion blur, not an issue in the summer, but this time of year less motion blur can be more important than less reflections, but of course that depends on how bad your reflections are.

A lens hood is going to make very little difference, and you can't have much of a lens hood anyway due to the wide angle of the lens. When they do work they generally just increase contrast and colour saturation a bit.

You might want to consider a dash mat in lieu of a CPL if you are concerned with motion blur caused by the exposure factor of the filter. In most cases a good quality dash mat can outperform a CPL. Since installing a dash mat several years ago I rarely use a CPL anymore but the combination of a dash mat and CPL for eliminating reflections is "killer" and so occasionally with certain cams I will do that.

Here is a screen shot of a dash mat with no CPL. I like to use this older example because it illustrates just what a dash mat can achieve because of the parking garage ticket I left on the black dash mat.

dashmat.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to consider a dash mat in lieu of a CPL if you are concerned with motion blur caused by the exposure factor of the filter.
Thanks for this, I have seen others reference dash mats. I have previously looked for these in the UK, but struggled to find anything for my RHD Audi A6 (C7).

Thanks for this, I have seen others reference dash mats. I have previously looked for these in the UK, but struggled to find anything for my RHD Audi A6 (C7).

You're welcome!

Dash mats can be hard to find in the UK because there isn't that much demand for them but you might have success finding what you require on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=2484491031&field-keywords=dash+mat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=2484491031&field-keywords=dash+mat+RHD+Audi+A6+

Most dash mat manufacturers offer a wide selection of custom mats to fit many makes and models of cars. If you don't see what you are looking for you might contact some sellers to see what else they may carry that isn't advertised.

Also, I know that several UK based DCT members have purchased dash mats from vendors in Australia and in other RHD locations.

There's this one for example: https://customcarmats.com.au/collections/dash-mats (you'll need to ask if they ship internationally)

I recommend the brushed suede or close cropped velour type. Avoid any that are made of thick carpeting or that have a lot of texture or small perforations. Avoid any that appear to have a sheen to any of the fabric threads.

Last edited:
My tired old eyes are not used to 4K dashcam footage, but i think yours are okay.

I have a home made dashmat, which are made of some black cloth, like used in theaters and photo shoots, it dont look as fancy smancy as a proper tailored dashmat but it work,,,,, even if it have faded some in the past 2 years.

Its not here either, just run this while downloading.

8739469660.png
That's mine and I have it for free since 5 years ago ;)..I'm limited by the 1Gbps Ethernet port of my motherboard.If I could have a 10G SFP port on a PC motherboard I can have 10Gbps speed if I want,but is overkill anyway.

Last edited:
have no doubt i am looking for a apartment with fiber, and if it wasent for me caring about where i live i could have been there for 5 years now.
I would prefer it it was my upload that was gigabit VS the download now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A129 Pro / A129 Pro Duo 17
Back