Graphic artefact + A119S stuck

Arnithorynque

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello fellow dashcamers,

I have recently bought a Viofo A119S from eBay. Everything worked perfectly well for ... a month and a week. Yesterday, I noticed that my dashcam failed to registered. I looked at the screen and this is what I saw (cf attached picture). The camera is now stuck, sometimes I have access to the menu, but the camera freezes the moment I try to do anything. Only way to reboot is to unplug/replug it. I had no accident or shock that could explain this sudden failure.

I have tried to plug the camera directly to the wire (not through the GPS module), tried a different cable, tried to reset it, tried to format the SD card and finally tried without any SD card, all of this with no result. I have contacted the seller on eBay who asked me to open the camera and try to "re-insert the display cable". I have done so (although the cable was already perfectly in place) with no result. I am now worried that I have broken the warranty by doing so ...

Do you have any idea on how to fix this ? I went for a Viofo because I heard good things about the quality and reliability of their dashcam, all I got now is 100€+ spent on a dashcam that lasted 1 month ...

Thank you very much for your help :).

P.S : Please excuse my english as it isn't my mother tongue.

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 54
Hello fellow dashcamers,

I have recently bought a Viofo A119S from eBay. Everything worked perfectly well for ... a month and a week. Yesterday, I noticed that my dashcam failed to registered. I looked at the screen and this is what I saw (cf attached picture). The camera is now stuck, sometimes I have access to the menu, but the camera freezes the moment I try to do anything. Only way to reboot is to unplug/replug it. I had no accident or shock that could explain this sudden failure.

I have tried to plug the camera directly to the wire (not through the GPS module), tried a different cable, tried to reset it, tried to format the SD card and finally tried without any SD card, all of this with no result. I have contacted the seller on eBay who asked me to open the camera and try to "re-insert the display cable". I have done so (although the cable was already perfectly in place) with no result. I am now worried that I have broken the warranty by doing so ...

Do you have any idea on how to fix this ? I went for a Viofo because I heard good things about the quality and reliability of their dashcam, all I got now is 100€+ spent on a dashcam that lasted 1 month ...

Thank you very much for your help :).

P.S : Please excuse my english as it isn't my mother tongue.

This is a known bug, no definitive resolution yet.

For now, install the latest firmware and the camera should return to normal.

Firmware - http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware

Are you using the included power supply and cable?

Thank you very much for your answer. I've been using the included power supply and cable, and I have also tried with a different cable.

Regarding the firmware, I cannot install it since the SD card doesn't appear on my computer when loaded in the dashcam. Can I use my external SD Card reader to load the firmware on it ?

Thank you :)

Thank you very much for your answer. I've been using the included power supply and cable, and I have also tried with a different cable.

Regarding the firmware, I cannot install it since the SD card doesn't appear on my computer when loaded in the dashcam. Can I use my external SD Card reader to load the firmware on it ?

Thank you :)
Yes, use the memory card in a card reader to load the firmware onto the card. Then put it in the camera and start it. Be sure to manually default your settings in the menu after loading the firmware.

Yes, use the memory card in a card reader to load the firmware onto the card. Then put it in the camera and start it. Be sure to manually default your settings in the menu after loading the firmware.

Dear all
I have the same problem and when i try to update the frimware the camera don't respond only stuck with te half pixel screen

Br

Dear all
I have the same problem and when i try to update the frimware the camera don't respond only stuck with te half pixel screen

Br
Are you loading the firmware onto the memory card before putting it in the camera?

Well, I am now in this club of half screen video noise with X'x and half screen black (exactly as Arnithorynque's screenshot). Having had the A119s for several months and plodding along with v1.4 firmware, the new v1.7 was supposed to be better. So I waited for the bugs to shake out of the early betas. It seemed all good. after about 2 days on v1.7, I have joined the club - bricked at v1.7 firmware.
I thought there was talk of reverting back to a previous firmware version that "fixed" this, but am unable to locate the thread. Anyone recall this thread or have suggestions?

bhaaa now it's work... but what is the issue hardware failure ? or something else ?

Thank you all very much ! I have flashed the firmware with the version given by harsh and everything is back to normal. I'm only worried that I damaged the camera while trying to reconnect the "display cable" as adviced by the seller ... I have torn up some of the copper thermic pad to have access to the cable, and I'm afraid the dashcam will now overheat when used under the hot climate of where I live ... I'm double sad since I now know for sure I didn't even need to open the camera in the first place to fix it. Anyway, thank you all very much.

For those who can't fix the same bug : my first mistake was to use the 64Gb SD Card I had already in my dashcam to install the Firmware, please note that you cannot flash with a SD Card > 32Gb, even though you can use it in your everyday recording usage. I then used a 16Gb SD Card and it worked instantly.

Update: Tried to get A119S to recognize the placement of v1.7 on the mSD card, it did not - screen still half-and-half with "Dreaded X's." It wanted me to reformat. After clicking the Menu button, surprisingly the menu came up, on top of the half-and-half "Dreaded X's" screen. I scrolled down and selected "Default Settings" and voila, the screen went back to "normal" and the "Dreaded X's" are gone. so, the conclusion must be that a combination of settings is causing this issue. I do not recall what setting I changed 2-days ago that apparently caused this to occur. Hopefully this is helpful and Vifo is listening.

Update: Tried to get A119S to recognize the placement of v1.7 on the mSD card, it did not - screen still half-and-half with "Dreaded X's." It wanted me to reformat. After clicking the Menu button, surprisingly the menu came up, on top of the half-and-half "Dreaded X's" screen. I scrolled down and selected "Default Settings" and voila, the screen went back to "normal" and the "Dreaded X's" are gone. so, the conclusion must be that a combination of settings is causing this issue. I do not recall what setting I changed 2-days ago that apparently caused this to occur. Hopefully this is helpful and Vifo is listening.
Were you entering any information in the screen for car? I had my license plate info in there and I got black x boxes. Now I leave that field empty and so far no more black x boxes. Not sure if this will help or not.

Were you entering any information in the screen for car? I had my license plate info in there and I got black x boxes. Now I leave that field empty and so far no more black x boxes. Not sure if this will help or not.
When I was running v1.4, yes, I entered info in the Plate Stamp. When I updated to v1.7 firmware, I did not remove this info. When the A119s restarted, the Plate Stamp info was gone, so I assumed the update removed it. Then 2 days (of normal operation) later, the unit "broke" as I have described above.

When I was running v1.4, yes, I entered info in the Plate Stamp. When I updated to v1.7 firmware, I did not remove this info. When the A119s restarted, the Plate Stamp info was gone, so I assumed the update removed it. Then 2 days (of normal operation) later, the unit "broke" as I have described above.
After any Firmware update always open MENU select DEFAULT Settings to clear previous buggy settings, dashcam will restart.
my 'How to Update Firmware' video above clearly demonstrates this step at 11 min mark.

Back