Great article on dashcam usage in Korea

Wanted to say thanks as well. Nice read unfortunately it is echoed again.
“The reason why the devices aren’t so popular in U.S. or Europe is because both the parts makers and customers there are concerned about privacy,” said Sul at the Korean transport institute.

As long as the car's owner has full control over what make and model device they choose and that they always own their recordings and can choose weather or not they give them to anyone or upload them there should not be an issue.

“The reason why the devices aren’t so popular in U.S. or Europe is because both the parts makers and customers there are concerned about privacy,” said Sul at the Korean transport institute.

Nothing to do with complacency then?
After a recent 'event'
- I had to fill in an accident form (just in case), my boss was really impressed & passing the vid onto police, hoping to get some compo for damaged mirror.
So impressed that he's still not thinking of investing in even the cheapest of cams.
Even the other drivers are impressed - we all encounter so many muppets each and every day - I've had two 'events' now & the cam has proven my innocence on both occasions - but the first one could've gone so differently without the video evidence to back me up.
My eldest has had a few close calls & people giving him abuse ("bloody kids" etc etc) & yet he still won't invest in a cheapo cam!

Always a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted?

Thanks for the article. As for what brand / cameras are popular in Korea, I think the company Danawa keeps track of this (they may be a large seller in Korea). Here is a chart from 2011. For 2013, these are likely still the top 6 but Thinkware (iCUE / iNavi) might be on top for 2013.
Danawa Research November 2011 Dash Cam Sales in Korea.jpg

Thinkware (I'm lead to believe) hold the top spot, have had at least 3 others that claim to be number 1, they obviously all can't be

Back