GS1000 Compression

cantremember

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Just got a GS1000. Old orange menu I think. I just tried it at 1080P and the video is quite compressed. The video runs at around 8mbit/s I think and it has quite some compression macroblocks all over the picture. I will upload a screenshot later on but anybody knows if this can be changed?

Can only be changed by way of a firmware update if available, you need to make sure any firmware update you try though is for the same hardware spec or you risk rendering it useless

When I go to firmware it says '201201010'. It looks different than the firmware versions on the FAQ about this cam here so I don't know what to do now. :|

Possibly nothing you can do, contact the seller and see if there's any update available perhaps

I've taken a screenshot of the video. I think you will agree it looks bad and I probably got duped.
I'm guessing I will get much better quality if I buy http://www.aliexpress.com/item/hot-ssal ... 80298.html this one instead?
I will return the one I have to the seller and get my money back.

dashbad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
cantremember said:
When I go to firmware it says '201201010'. It looks different than the firmware versions on the FAQ about this cam here so I don't know what to do now. :|

GS1000 FAQ said:
They even show how the menu looks in the following video. At 3 minutes and 39 seconds you can see the firmware version is 20120929. This is not an orange menu firmware.

That video is also here

unfortunately even though you paid a bit it looks like a knock off GS1000

Hmm yes you're right. The menus and the items are identical in mine as the "fake orange" listed on the FAQ. :cry: I already thought it was a bit strange how some menus have bad translations such as "Recording" for mute/unmute and "The default" for reset to factory settings.

I will try to return it to the seller and get my money back (it's a local site in my country so I hope that shouldn't be too hard, I could even drive down rhere and hand it to him/them)

The sound quality is quite bad and the video quality is very grainy and the video doesn't seem to be extremely fluid. Even when standing still in traffic, the video has this kind of grainy effect to it, like an old analog tape.
If anyone is interested I can show sample video from it, although I have nowhere to upload it really (and Youtube transcodes the video so that kind of defeats the purpose). But here above there's already a screenshot :D

I'm going to try my luck with a GS1000 new orange menu from Aliexpress, the link I also put in my previous post so wish me luck.

Now that that some light's been shed on the situation perhaps title of the topic could be changed to be more informative for others, like "GS2000 fake orange" or something.

cantremember said:
I'm going to try my luck with a GS1000 new orange menu from Aliexpress, the link I also put in my previous post so wish me luck.

I just bought that camera from Aliexpress/E-Prance and I'm not all that impressed with the encoding. It's nothing like as bad as yours but there are some artifacts on the image especially when driving past trees, and the bit-rate is only 7mbps. Maybe they are all like that?

Hmm well in that case I'm completely lost as to which dashcam to get :)

Seems to be the big problem with the GS1000 there are so many variations and fakes you basically have no idea what you are getting. I've also got a 808 DR32 on order which has 12mbps encoding so it will be interesting to compare.

well, my GS2000 from Eprance is only 7mbps too and im not overly impressed with the video quality either - the low bit rate is combining with my windscreen reflections and making the bottom third of the screen too noisy (see my post)

cantremember said:
If anyone is interested I can show sample video from it, although I have nowhere to upload it really (and Youtube transcodes the video so that kind of defeats the purpose). But here above there's already a screenshot :D

I wonder if yours is using the Novatek chip. Soneone on this site was looking for a directly from cam clip of the knock off Novatek GS1000
thread here

You could use any file sharing website and upload the original file.

CheckYourLights said:
cantremember said:

I wonder if yours is using the Novatek chip. Soneone on this site was looking for a directly from cam clip of the knock off Novatek GS1000
thread here

You could use any file sharing website and upload the original file.
There's a few different solutions in use for these now, some are really cheap and nasty, could be anything, only way to tell really is to open it up

I don't really want to disassemble it because I'm going to send it back to the company who sold it.
The DR32 seems extremely nice, the only reason I decided not to get it are because there is a tiny gap between recordings, and they're only 1-5min in length each. So currently I'm eyeing the GS8000. :)

cantremember said:
The DR32 seems extremely nice, the only reason I decided not to get it are because there is a tiny gap between recordings, and they're only 1-5min in length each. So currently I'm eyeing the GS8000. :)

I currently use a GS8000 as my front camera. I bought it from Geekbuying last month or so maybe. The price is nice (currently 95 dollars shipped) but I have personally had heat issue with mine. When recording in 1080P the camera will get warm rather quickly and if it is a little warm outside (around 55F/12C or so with sun.) First very small barely noticeable lines would shoot through the video for a fraction of a second and then as the camera got more warm it would discolor and cause the image to act up where it would look like double vision.

Some users have also had there GPS not function or had their whole device stop working. When i turn mine down to 720P quality takes a hit, but the camera doesn't freeze and the image looks alright. My GPS can take anywhere from 30 seconds to about 3 min to get a signal and twice when my car is parked the video will say I'm doing 5-15km/h, but it works and displays location correctly in RegistratorViewer.

The case itself is really nice. I like that it has a screen. the buttons are placed well. The menus are clear and easy. The LEDs could of been placed better.
If they worked out all the quality issues and it became as reliable as my DVR-027 I would say hands don't don't hesitate everyone should have one, but right now it is a bit hit and miss with what issues your GS8000 may have.

When i first got my DVR-027 i used to record in 15 min clips, but that seemed to make it a little harder to find things that happened in the video(red light runners wrong way drivers and what not) so i record in 5 min segments. My DVR-027 looses about a second each clip but the GS8000 is gap-less.

cantremember said:

Just got my DR32 today and it's far superior to my AliExpress/E-Prance GS1000, the encoding is better with less artifacts and number plates are crystal clear even at speed. It encodes at 12Mbps compared with only 7Mbps for my GS1000. If there's a gap between recordings I can't see it, no more than a few frames anyhow and mine is set to 5 min segments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E GSXXXX 6
D GSXXXX 1
C GSXXXX 5
J GSXXXX 3
D GSXXXX 0
Back