GS1000

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
We have started an FAQ for the GS1000 dash cam on the main site. It includes recommended places to buy, firmware updates, known issues and resolutions.

GS1000 Detailed FAQ

This thread is to discuss anything and everything about this camera. Feel free to post questions and we will do our best to respond.

I have a GS1000 with firmware SMH4.35.210512A.bin, I'd like to flash TXH4.35.220512.bin to it as it apparently has a few more options. But nothing happens if I put it as firmware.bin on SD card, should I see an error message or something?

I also tried putting autoexec.ash on the SD card which had the command "firmfl prog d:\firmware.bin" but nothing happened even then, camera just starts up normally...

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit:
Even autoexec.ash with firmware dumping command does nothing, weird? Could the SD card be the issue? When the camera starts the time remaining shows 00:00:00, and after few seconds starts to show the correct remaining time (space).

Seems a bit strange. Here are the steps I suggest

1. Try a different SD Card since it is the easiest thing to check
2. Next try to backup your existing firmware with an autoexec.ash file that has the following contents:
firmfl gen 5 bst bld pri rom dsp d:\backup.bin (make sure there is a line feed at the bottom of the file - the file should have 2 lines)
3. When renaming the files to firmware.bin make sure you can see the extension in Windows. It may have been renamed firmware.bin.bin
4. Make sure the only file on the formatted SD card is firmware.bin. Insert into camera and turn on. Should show a rotating icon while updating, if nothing happens it is not working.
5. If still not working, try renaming the firmware file to yamaha.bin or texet.bin and attempt to flash
6. If still not working, you can try the DirectUSB method. I have uploaded the Texet DVR-1GP TXH4.35.220512_USB_RUS.elf file to the main GS1000 page.

Let us know if any of this works. Good luck!
Dash Cam Man

OK, with a new SD card I got it to backup the current firmware, it matches SMH4.35.210512A.bin exactly so atleast we know that works.

But it still wont flash a new firmware.bin from SD card, and when I connect it to the computer it only connects in "flash drive" mode, and not in usb boot mode which is needed for DirectUSB... Do I need to press some button combination when connecting it to the computer to make it connect in usb boot mode?

Also, do I need to format the SD card on every try, because after I start the camera first time with a formated card, it creates a few folders in it?

Edit:

Success! I tried again with the new sd card to have autoexec.ash with command "firmfl prog d:\backup.bin" and started the camera, there was no rotating icon or anything, but i left it on for a few minutes and then it turned off and it's now running texet's firmware! :D

Thanks for all your help!

Congratulations on getting the firmware to update. Sometimes playing around with the commands or cards works out!

Dash Cam Man

Hello
I have purchased this camera : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-DVR- ... 34023.html
But the device often hangs (like PC) - it stops operating, the display is on but the movie recording is stopped and there is no reaction on pressing the buttons. Only pressing RESET helps. And today the camera recorded a movie with the final fragment looking as it would be played 2 times faster (the cars on the road looked as if they would be doing 200 km/h...) , and the sound being distorted.
I tried to use 2 Micro SD cards of various manufacturers and it is still the same.
Unfortunately I cannot get any sense information from the seller .
I tried to backup and install again the firmware because this method has been succesful in other Chinese device (trip computer). I managed to extract the firmware from the camera to the memory card: v4.35.210512A.bin, But I cannot install it again by the memory card. The camera turns on normally and nothing happens. I also tried to use the USB method, there is "Amba device found!" in Ambarella Direct USB, but after nezt speps the camera hangs and again oly RESET button helps.
And what to do with the camera? is it dameged?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantom said:
Hello
I have purchased this camera : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-DVR- ... 34023.html
But the device often hangs (like PC) - it stops operating, the display is on but the movie recording is stopped and there is no reaction on pressing the buttons. Only pressing RESET helps. And today the camera recorded a movie with the final fragment looking as it would be played 2 times faster (the cars on the road looked as if they would be doing 200 km/h...) , and the sound being distorted.
I tried to use 2 Micro SD cards of various manufacturers and it is still the same.
Unfortunately I cannot get any sense information from the seller .
I tried to backup and install again the firmware because this method has been succesful in other Chinese device (trip computer). I managed to extract the firmware from the camera to the memory card: v4.35.210512A.bin, But I cannot install it again by the memory card. The camera turns on normally and nothing happens. I also tried to use the USB method, there is "Amba device found!" in Ambarella Direct USB, but after nezt speps the camera hangs and again oly RESET button helps.
And what to do with the camera? is it dameged?

Are you trying to reinstall the same firmware or a newer version? I have never tried reinstalling the same firmware so I am not sure if that is the problem. Perhaps try installing an updated firmware (Texet is the best one out there - the one on the main site is from May, however there are test versions available from this September).

Make sure the firmware file is renamed firmware.bin (you can also try vfirmware.bin).

For some cameras the firmware update via SD-card requires an additional step. When you insert the formatted SD card with the firmware.bin file, the camera will create the DCIM folder and player folders on start up. If you turn it off and turn it on again, the firmware update will occur.

Also no guarantee that this is a software problem...it might be a hardware issue and updating the firmware won't help.

Let us know if that works.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks a lot. I will try your method and inform you about the results. I have read about similar problems with GS1000(freezing and fast playing) on a few Russian forums (translated into English by Google). Unfortunately I do not know what exactly to do with my camera because the seller sends me strange answers for my technical questions and the shipment to China and back would last about 1,5 month. :( And I cannot identify the manufacturer.
I have also purchased this computer http://www.leagend.com/viewpro.asp?id=345
Leagend is a decent company - you can download user manual and software update. And the Chinese girl responsible for contact with customers is a professional - she knows what she sells and sends relevant answers.
And Turbogauge is an example of electronic device which can be repaired by re-flashing the same firmware. My computer after a few months of good operation often did not start with the car engine and sometimes it switched off during driving. Re-flashing has removed all the errors :D

I have performed a few tests at home. I have returned camera default settings (the device restarts after such an operation) and then set 1280x720 p resolution. And it did not freeze after 45 minutes of operation. But I noticed that it becomes very warm. So perhaps it is the problem? One knows that e.g. laptops can turn off it their internal temperature is too high and the radiator fan didn't start.

EDIT: the method with change name into "vfirmware" is OK! :D

PS http://www.texet.ru/support/files/ - there are 2 firmware versions for DVR-1GP (the most similar model to mine): for models of serial numbers up to 122217000 and 122217001 and highers. And which I am supposed to select? If I flash the wrong version - would the camera be damaged?

DashCamMan said:
Perhaps try installing an updated firmware (Texet is the best one out there - the one on the main site is from May, however there are test versions available from this September).
Dash Cam Man

Where can we find the test versions of the Texet firmware?

Mantom said:
EDIT: the method with change name into "vfirmware" is OK! :D

PS http://www.texet.ru/support/files/ - there are 2 firmware versions for DVR-1GP (the most similar model to mine): for models of serial numbers up to 122217000 and 122217001 and highers. And which I am supposed to select? If I flash the wrong version - would the camera be damaged?

Glad to hear that it worked! You are right the Texet DVR-1GP is a GS1000 orange menu, same as yours. The old orange menu firmware 3.34 is installed on machines with serial number 122 217 000 and below. The new orange menu 4.35 is installed on machines with serial number 122 217 001 and above.

If you want to flash the firmware for your camera, choose the second firmware ( Texet Firmware for New Orange Menu ). Flashing the wrong firmware could brick the camera. Some people have "unbricked" it using the DirectUSB software.

Good luck
Dash Cam Man

wizkid said:
Where can we find the test versions of the Texet firmware?

There is a Russian FTP site that has the Texet firmware. DVR-1GP is the GS1000 Orange Menu. Firmware A is for the old orange menu (v3.34) and firmware B is for the new orange menu (v4.35).

Note that the Texet firmware is the most frequently updated firmware for the GS1000 cameras (there was a new firmware on Aug 27, Aug 29 and Sep 3). So if you have a bug that is firmware related, this is your best firmware to update to.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks a lot for your help :D
I will wait some time - now the camera is re-flashed with its original firmware (a few times :mrgreen: ) and I set 1280x720 resolution. And I wonder if freezing occur. Of course full HD would give a better picture quality, but the difference isn't worth a risk to brick the camera.
I cannot use the USB method because the camera freezes after establishing a connecion to PC.

And a GPS problem. The satellite receiver is placed inside the plastic element on the top of the camera,w hich is fastened to the clip. And the clip is an obstacle for the signals of the satellites and the signal is often lost.

I found an interesting solution of this problem on a Russian forum http://speedy.sh/DbKJy/DVR-1GP.rar
another method would be to take the GPS receiver out of the camera housing (it is monted on a cable) and placing it somewhere outside. :mrgreen:

Mantom said:
And a GPS problem. The satellite receiver is placed inside the plastic element on the top of the camera,w hich is fastened to the clip. And the clip is an obstacle for the signals of the satellites and the signal is often lost.

I found an interesting solution of this problem on a Russian forum http://speedy.sh/DbKJy/DVR-1GP.rar
another method would be to take the GPS receiver out of the camera housing (it is monted on a cable) and placing it somewhere outside. :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting those potential solutions. The GPS is often quite fussy on these cameras and that is a reasonable explanation.

Dash Cam Man

My GPS has been operationg properly for 3 days :mrgreen: And without using any modified holder like that Russian :D
I'm not sure if it is because of the firmware re-installation because the icon changed its color into green when I was mounting the camera on the windshield and using a force.

Mantom said:
My GPS has been operationg properly for 3 days :mrgreen: And without using any modified holder like that Russian :D
I'm not sure if it is because of the firmware re-installation because the icon changed its color into green when I was mounting the camera on the windshield and using a force.

It is good that you got it to work by reflashing the same firmware. At least if you have further issues down the road you still have other options available...i.e. different firmware or russian mods!

Dash Cam Man

Hey there,

Thanks for useful information. My DVR is from e-bay, no-name, but same as GS1000. Current firmware version is displayed as v1.0.6G1KB (blue menu with motorcycles on startup screen).

Renaming firmware.bin to yamaha.bin, placing on card and turning camera on is the only way I've managed to get rotating symbol with "Firmware update..." message on top of it. But it last just a moment (less than a second) following with camera going to mode where it works like a viewfinder (no menu options, no reactions to button pushes). Turning off/on or reset/on/off makes the same thing. Then I take out the card and turn on, normal operation restores, but firmware is the same. What can I do?

Also DirectUSB mode does not work for me (machine runs Win7 64bit). Software does not see DVR which I guess is because of I cannot put DVR to the right "USB Boot" mode before connecting to computer (as suggested in Ambarella user guide http://dashcamtalk.com/gs1000/#Firmware_Update_via_USB) . Any idea how to put DVR in "USB Boot" mode? Something like pushing camera+reset together (read somewhere but does not work for me)?

Thanks!

garnikg said:
Hey there,

Thanks for useful information. My DVR is from e-bay, no-name, but same as GS1000. Current firmware version is displayed as v1.0.6G1KB (blue menu with motorcycles on startup screen).

Renaming firmware.bin to yamaha.bin, placing on card and turning camera on is the only way I've managed to get rotating symbol with "Firmware update..." message on top of it. But it last just a moment (less than a second) following with camera going to mode where it works like a viewfinder (no menu options, no reactions to button pushes). Turning off/on or reset/on/off makes the same thing. Then I take out the card and turn on, normal operation restores, but firmware is the same. What can I do?

Also DirectUSB mode does not work for me (machine runs Win7 64bit). Software does not see DVR which I guess is because of I cannot put DVR to the right "USB Boot" mode before connecting to computer (as suggested in Ambarella user guide http://dashcamtalk.com/gs1000/#Firmware_Update_via_USB) . Any idea how to put DVR in "USB Boot" mode? Something like pushing camera+reset together (read somewhere but does not work for me)?

Thanks!

Hi Garnikg,

You can try the firmware update with yamaha.bin using a different SD card. Try vfirmware.bin as well. A bit of trial and error is required with these cameras since they are not all exactly alike.

For the DirectUSB mode here are some suggestions.

1. Copy the following board.ini file (right click and save) to the Direct USB installation directory. You can view this in notepad, it is just some configuration settings for DirectUSB.
2. Press the Camera/Snap key on the dash cam, then connect the usb cable into the computer. Press “connect” button to check whether the usb connection is ok. If it is not ok, repeat this step again.
dashcamtalk.com_cams_Direct_20USB_GS1000_20Snap.jpg

3. If step 2 does not work. Insert the USB cable in the computer first. Hold down the Camera/Snap key. Let go of the Camera / Snap key and press the reset button (may need to press the reset button multiple times).
4. If step 3 does not work. Insert the USB cable in the computer first. Hold down the Camera/Snap key. While holding down the Camera / Snap key press the reset button.

Hope this helps
Dash Cam Man

Hi garnikg,

I did some research on the firmware you have, v1.0.6G1KB. Sweetlife999 on eBay is one vendor that sells this camera. Some pics below:

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_201.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_202.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_203.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_204.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_205.jpg

Someone in Russia recently tried to upgrade the camera to v.2.0.3SG1KB and the upgrade was successful via Direct USB.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_GS1000_Blue_v1.0.6G1KB_20upgrade.jpg

However, after the upgrade, he us unable to change the date or time. When trying to turn off the camera, the screen does not turn off until the battery runs out. Be careful with this upgrade, since it may not work well with your hardware.

Dash Cam Man

I have a few gremlins in my GS1000 bought from 4cool (Hong Kong) on EBay.

The first problem is that the route shown from the GPS logger on Google Maps, shows me in the North Sea some 100 miles east of actual location. The route taken is also a mirror image rather than a true reflection so I appear to be going north when traveling south and east when traveling west.

I have contacted the supplier who is trying to be helpful but has only come up with a refund of the cost of the GPS. He also suggested that I might try and load an earlier firmware/software version. Current version is 2.04

The camera is perfect and I have no problems with its quality. The securing nut is on the wrong side and catches against the USB lead but I can work around that.

My main problem apart from a backwards and inaccurate GPS, is that when I try to follow the Dash Cam instructions for altering the software, (I am running Vista), no matter what I do the computer will not recognise the camera. I have tried all of the available drivers but none work. I can download MAP files from the USB connection to the CARDV program but when it comes to running Direct USB, the message .....appears.

Set message level: 2
Found 5 busses, 0 devices changed
AMBA device not found!

I have tried all variations and different approaches, but this is always the message.

Should I just treat this as a camera or is there any hope?

Tony

TonyB said:
I have a few gremlins in my GS1000 bought from 4cool (Hong Kong) on EBay.

The first problem is that the route shown from the GPS logger on Google Maps, shows me in the North Sea some 100 miles east of actual location. The route taken is also a mirror image rather than a true reflection so I appear to be going north when traveling south and east when traveling west.

I have contacted the supplier who is trying to be helpful but has only come up with a refund of the cost of the GPS. He also suggested that I might try and load an earlier firmware/software version. Current version is 2.04

The camera is perfect and I have no problems with its quality. The securing nut is on the wrong side and catches against the USB lead but I can work around that.

My main problem apart from a backwards and inaccurate GPS, is that when I try to follow the Dash Cam instructions for altering the software, (I am running Vista), no matter what I do the computer will not recognise the camera. I have tried all of the available drivers but none work. I can download MAP files from the USB connection to the CARDV program but when it comes to running Direct USB, the message .....appears.

Set message level: 2
Found 5 busses, 0 devices changed
AMBA device not found!

I have tried all variations and different approaches, but this is always the message.

Should I just treat this as a camera or is there any hope?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Apparently there are 2 versions of the blue menu camera. The old version comes with firmware 1.0.7, 1.1.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, etc. The new blue menu comes with firmware 2.0.4 and has some graphics on the menu. The cameras have different sensors and the firmware is not compatible between the versions. I will update the main site with this information. So you will be unable to flash an earlier version of firmware.

For the DirectUSB software, the best information is in the post above. If this doesn't work, not much more you can do.

Dash Cam Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E GSXXXX 6
D GSXXXX 1
C GSXXXX 5
J GSXXXX 3
D GSXXXX 0
Back