GS8000

Densor

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The GS8000 is now appearing on the Aliexpress, DHgate and Geekbuying websites. There appear to be two versions. One has the GPS externally in the mounting base which may (?) Improve gps signal. The details are:

" GS8000 1080P Car DVR camera GPS G-Sensor 2.7 inch Full HD LCD Screen 1920*1080P 30fps 5M COMS Sensor".

Geekbuying have posted 4 vids showing daylight and nightime usage. They had it on sale with free DHL shipping for AU$ 99 so I bit the bullet. That was only last Thursday and its already here cleared for delivery in Australia. I'm not sure if they will deliver it to private addresses on Christmas eve. I hope they do so I have a toy to play with tomorrow while the kids play with theirs.

A few of the ebay sellers are quoting it has the " Ambarella solution" chipset which sounds promising. There is no reference to this on the chinese sites.

Before anyone else says it ......... yes, the front lens looks dicky. Hopefully it makes up for it with good image quality.

I've also found a nice little 12v powered usb supply on DX that I'm sure I can feed and hide behind the map reading lights in my car. Others may be interested as well. http://dx.com/p/dc-12v-to-dc-5v-convert ... ack-147841

Christmas best wishes to everyone and thanks for a great website.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David,

The GS8000 is a new camera and there isn't much info on it. It also goes under the name DM900. On the Shenzhen Dome Technology website, they list it as a new product.

From what I read it has an Ambarella A2S processor (EDIT: A2S70 processor). Video quality is on par with the other A2S dash cams. The interesting feature is that it has 256MB of internal memory while most cameras in this price range have much less. External GPS should be more reliable as well. You are probably one of the few early pioneers with this camera since even though some people have ordered it this month, they have not received / reviewed it yet. $100 is the best price as well. Please let us know your thoughts and share some videos when you get it!

image1.geekbuying.com_channel_0_201212518566W2111901.png

DHL excelled themselves and delivered the GS8000 so I've had a nice new toy. The physical body of the cam is really small. It's just the lens that seems to protrude. The mount is very sturdy but the problem will be for those who wish to move it from car to car. I've attached velcro in the interrim to make things more flexible.

I've got a few teething problems. Video quality seems good. Christmas eve in Sydney was a very very hot and sunny 37 dec C so I had real problems with glare and reflection off the very sloped windscreen of my Toyota Tarago (Estima in the USA and GB). I might need to relocate it and also try it in another car. The Tarago also has huge wiper blades that sweep across the screen ...... but unfortunately miss the very part behind the rear view mirror where I've mounted the cam. (Lesson #1 - clean windscreen to improve video quality). I tried it again last night after a cool rainy change had come through. The video looks clear through the raindrops but not good enough to post. Another reason to relocate it.

The video is stuttering which isn't good. I'm using a 16Gb class 6 sd card which may not be fast enough for hd. As well as getting a faster card, I'll try a lower definition setting. I'll also try recording to the internal 256M memory. It's christmas morning here now so I have an excess of food and drink to consume before I play too much. :) EDIT: The Video is great when I play it straight to my TV through the HDMI. It is just because I was playing it straight from the cam to my older PC.

The gps hooks up really quickly. Using the supplied software tracks me really well but places me 20 k's to the north west of where I really am. I tried Datakam and love how quick it loads the video and shows speed. It unfortunately thinks I am swimming somewhere in the Nth Pacific west of L.A. Any help with pointing me in the right direction for more information on fixing these gps problems would be appreciated. It uses a .map format. Is this standard ?

Once I clean my windscreen and improve my reflection problems I will post some videos that better represent its performance.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

Thanks for providing the feedback. This camera appears to be similar to the "Blue Menu GS1000" / GS5000. That camera sometimes suffers from the same GPS location issue (position is off by meters / kms) and saves .MAP files. Unfortunately I haven't seen a fix for that problem yet. I know that many people complained that the "Blue Menu GS1000" not catching satellites, so this external GPS should eliminate that problem.

How is the night video? Does the picture get blurry at all? These are the typical problems in the "Blue Menu GS1000" / GS5000 models.

My first Youtube upload. Some daylight footage.

Hi David,

The Daytime video looks fine. The date/time and speed stamps are in the same spot as the GS1000 Blue Menu. If I see a fix for the GPS issue, I will let you know.

I have found a fix for the gps software not putting me in the right location. I was checking out an add for a Russian version of the GS8000 and found a download for their software. Same name but slightly different to the version that came on my dvd. It works perfectly and "I now know where I am !"

http://www.gbeshop.com/InfoBase/downloa ... PStool.zip

The strength of the gps appears to be one of the best features of this model. It locks on within seconds and appears to give a very good indication of speed.

Night time video is only ok on well lit streets. I have uploaded a daytime drive through my local shops and now have a night time version. It is ok, but once I drive into darkened streets the video is very poor and grainy which appears to be the standard on many of these units.

Hi Densor,

Great that you were able to find the software and fix your problem! I'm sure this will help other GS8000 owners and perhaps GS5000 / GS1000 Blue Menu owners with the same problem.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad to help. Could you please post it in the appropriate thread so those who are having similiar problems can give it a go ? You may know of suitable candidates already.

David

Hi David,

I will post in the GS5000 thread. When I get some time, I will update the GS1000 page as well.

Thanks

Hi, I just took a leap of faith on the GS8000 after my cheap but reasonable china special died after 2 years daily use in my truck :(

I initially bought a VG12 from EBay from a seller called Trekdu with 27000+ sales and a 99% rating, the cam whilst decently specced turned out not only to be faulty but also worse than my cheap china special which I was very happy with for the money. The Vg12 was listed on eBay item number : 271057072904

Whilst the seller has agreed to accept the return as faulty and refund they want me to ship it back, not sure whether or not to just cut my losses and walk away tho tbh.

I really hope the GS8000 will give me what I need.

satsurfer said:
GS8000 with Carl Zeiss Lens? :lol:
Yes, it's quite hard to believe anything after that "fact"

He asks 65$ more than cheapest, just 'justify' to write Carl Zeiss :D

100$
http://www.ebay.de/itm/170963303435?ssP ... 9502wt_952

I read a reaction of a buyer and translated it from Russian:
"То, что на картинке и то, что получите Вы могут быть разными вещами."

What is in the picture and what you get may be different things. :lol:

That's the chap I have bought mine from, fingers crossed then.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170963303435

I had previously been using one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270851001986

Worked pretty decent for the money to be honest, I thought it had died but I worked again tonight when I plugged it into the truck, it is a couple of years old now and has more than paid for itself many times over, two near misses which could have turned out as Fatal accidents caught on camera which potentially would have kept me out of jail when showing I was not at fault, as I drive a truck for a living I have to prove my innocence rather than them prove my guilt these days !!!

Marcus,

Yours didn't mention it has a Carl Zeiss Lens :D
He has also good rating and super price....

Only for me the unexpected customs+taxes I don't know how much that will be, prevent me from buying outside Europe :cry:

I have only been stung with import tax once in many many many purchases from outside europe thankfully, from the USA if I recall correctly in fact, should not be more than £15/20 at the very most if I am unlucky !

Thank gawd the guy has not advertised this camera with the Carl Zeiss like the other chap !!

A quality eBay seller !

More expensive + wrong battery size + his youtube "nighttime" footage is just standing on the side of the road during the daytime.

Is a 5.0 mega pixel lens sufficient to get a decent enough imagine in full HD out of interest ??

Now I am worried and confused.

Here they claim the real lens angle is around 146 degrees and the battery is 650mAh 5v Polymer Li-Ion Battery

http://www.egos.cc/products/GS8000-Infr ... -Lens.html

The one I just bought claims 300mAh and 3.7v Lithuim Ion Battery (like the other cheap cams)

I don't pretend to know the in's and outs of batteries but it seems a significant difference ?

Maybe my seller is just misinformed ?

This is so frustrating, I just want a decent full HD dvr, grrrrrrrrrrrr

Back