GS8000L Dash Cam.

graydog

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a "New--Still in box" GS8000L Dash Cam. It works fine when it has USB power. The battery is dead or will not charge. The red light on top right comes on when it is hooked up to 1.0A charger, but light turns blue when the camera is turned off or timer turns it off and it does not charge. After charging for 8 hours, if the USB charge cord is disconnected, there is not enough battery life to do anything or keep the date / time. I just got it yesterday and have not bought an SD card. Could not having the card installed possibly have any effect on charging the battery? I don't think so, but I thought I'd see what you think. Thanks for any help.

The seller refunded payment on the GS8000L Dash Cam.
What dash cam could I buy that would be better quality than it?

The seller refunded payment on the GS8000L Dash Cam.
What dash cam could I buy that would be better quality than it?

Am I right in thinking that the GS8000L is around $35? What's your budget for a better dashcam?

Budget about $50. I have been looking on this forum and the "G1W-CB with Capacitor" sounds good. It has no battery. It's on eBay. Vendor is "foxoffer1" in 深圳. LOL That's Shenzhen, China. Price is $52 + $0 s/h.

There's been some reports recently of the g1w being shipped with a lower grade CPU which results in lower image quality, especially at night. So now it's harder for us to recommend the g1w even from normally reliable sellers like @FoxOffer.

But I can vouch for the cf100. It's got great night video from the front camera, plus it has parking mode to record while... Well, parked, if you wire it to be always on. That was the main reason I got one.

BlackSys CF-100 vs A118C

The BlackSys CF-100 looks like it really is a nice camera, but I really don't like the issue that you must remove the Mini SD card, insert it in the adapter and plug it into a card reader. My MacBook reads the Mini SD card while it is in the GS8000L. Granted, the GS8000L has some unacceptable issues, but does take good daylight video. The deal breaker on the GS8000L is that the camera's battery will not charge, so when it is turned off, the time reverts to 01/01/2012. iPhoto uses this date to file the videos with the ones I took in 2012. It took me an hour to find them.

I drove 25 miles this morning, making 3 long stops where I turned the cam off. I was using an empty Sandisk Mini SD 32GB card. I had set it up to make 3 minute loops, but it made 16 loops varying in length from 0:09 to 3:04 (Min:Sec). Not acceptable.

I really don't need the BlackSys CF-100's rear facing camera. I'm not sure it even has a display screen. Maybe a display is not needed. I looked at several Youtube videos and other sites and could not decide if it had a display screen or not.

I am seriously considering the A118C

Cf100 does not have a screen but honestly I don't feel like it needs one. The voice prompts and LEDs are enough to let you know what it's doing.

Thanks Gibson99. How's Hoot getting along? I bet he's older than 99.

Thanks Gibson99. How's Hoot getting along? I bet he's older than 99.
Had to Google that one... I've always been interested in the space program and I knew about Robert Gibson the astronaut, but not the actor who died in the 60ss, also named Robert Gibson... Didn't know the astronaut went by the same nickname though. I have no relation to any famous Gibsons that I know of, though... Astronauts, movie stars, or guitar designers. :/

Had to Google that one... I've always been interested in the space program and I knew about Robert Gibson the astronaut, but not the actor who died in the 60ss, also named Robert Gibson... Didn't know the astronaut went by the same nickname though. I have no relation to any famous Gibsons that I know of, though... Astronauts, movie stars, or guitar designers. :/

You overlooked Hoot Gibson, (August 6, 1892 – August 23, 1962), an old western movie star back in the 1930's. He starred in over 200 western movies. He's here on Wikipedia: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoot_Gibson_filmography> Probably an long lost uncle of yours.

You overlooked Hoot Gibson, (August 6, 1892 – August 23, 1962), an old western movie star back in the 1930's. He starred in over 200 western movies. He's here on Wikipedia: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoot_Gibson_filmography> Probably an long lost uncle of yours.
no - in the message you quoted, i said "actor who died in the 60s" which was robert "hoot" gibson. and i'm sure there's no relation. gibson is a more common name than you might think.

Back