GS8000L Stops recording & does not film continuously

Carlarala

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
GS8000L no GPS
I have recently purchased the GS8000L Dash Cam.

I purchased a 32GB SD Micro Card Class 10 (not branded)

I have tried using it several times using different Resolutions 1080P, HD or 720P but it records intermittently and stops every 10 or so seconds then begins again with 3/4 second delay between each recording. It's like watching screen shots as opposed to a video at some parts.

I have tried formatting the SD card on my PC using Fat32. I am not sure which unit allocation size to use. I have tried formatting it at 32kilobytes or 64kilobytes but it still won't record continuously for more than anything between 9-19 seconds at a time.
The options for formatting I have are

CAPACITY 30.6GB

ALLOCATION UNIT SIZE
Default allocation size
512 bytes
1024 bytes
2048 bytes
4096 bytes
8192 bytes
16 kilobytes
32 kilobytes
64 kilobytes

The settings on the Dash Cam for recording I am using are...

RESOLUTION 1080HFD 1920x1080 (Also tried using 1080P 1440x1080 & 720P 1280x720)
LOOP RECORDING 5 minutes (Also Off, 3minutes, 5minutes or 10minutes)
MOTION DETECTOR off
AUDIO on
DATE STAMP on
G-SENSOR SENSITIVITY High (Options Off, Low, Medium or High)

It may be something as simple as the SD card may not be compatible or I am not formatting the SD card on the correct setting)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

8th Oct 2014
Carlarala - I am having the exact same problem you are.
I have a GS8000L with the GPS (the model with the silver lens), which hasent worked correctly from day one.
I have tried two MicroSD cards (32g and 10g) both formatted under Fat32.
It will record for a short time then stop (I get a varifying size Red Dot on the LCD which I assume is telling me its stopped recording to the SD Card?), but if I leave it go, it then starts to record again, and then stops again, which is repeated over and over.

Have you found the answer to this problem or is my useless GS8000L due for the rubbish tin ?

Rob-G
Australia.

the sd cards could be fake. i have a 8000l no gps and use a 32 gb sandisk card. i run the cam 24/7 and i have it set to continuous record. never had an issue with it.

use the free flash card software to test the cards rated capacity. if you can link to the card(s) and cam you purchased, others can see who the seller is and if they are legit.

Thanks Dionic90 for the info - I have used these two MicroSD cards in my old cheapie "Kodak" digital camera and they both work fine ("Samsung" 10 32g/unbranded 8g) so I know the cards work.
I had a look at the IC in the DashCam and its a "Samsung" 149 K9F4G08U08 PCB0 UMJ0276AN. I wasnt game to take the PCB right out of the case so I dont know if there are any more IC's on the other side.
It seams strange that the problem occurs using either of these SD cards which were formatted under "Windows" XP Fat32.
I have tried many setups in the menu but all have failed so far, so I am running out of things to try.
I cant remember where I purchased the cards, but I will do a search to locate the supplier of the GS8000L.
Rob-G

i ASSume you have formatted the cards in the cam also to test/verify, no?

do you have an option to format the internal storage memory as well? this particular model has a tiny amount of internal storage.

the main board in the cam i use is novatek.

Well I may be getting somewhere at last - I re-formatted the Samsung 32g 10 SD Card again with Fat32 on a different computer and then tested the DashCam over a 15 minute drive, and it recorded perfectly to the SDcard, even though it showed the red flashing dot on the LCD at odd time during the trip.
I will test it again today and see if it still records to the card ok without stopping.
The manual that came with the GS8000L (if you can call it a manual) is totally useless, so if anyone has a copy that makes sense I would love a copy.
The other problem is that I need a good viewer program in english suitable for the GS8000L including the GPS tracker - is there one on the net that I can download ?
Rob-G

9th Oct 2014
Ok the next test results were ..... I reinstalled the Samsung SD Card and went for another 15km drive - when the dashcam first switched on the dreaded red flashing dot appeared in the top left corner of the LCD and stayed there ALL the way. I noticed that the GPS indicator on the LCD stayed red for quite some distance (approx 5km) before it changed to green.
So after the trip ended, I removed the card and watched the mov video files on my desktop. It appeared that all the trip was recorded onto the SDcard ok, but unfortunately ALL the video files were very "jerky". I tried 2 viewers and it was the same on each.
At this stage the only thing I can think doing is to reformat this SDcard in the dashcam itself and see what happens then.
I am still looking for a viewer in english for the GS8000L including the GPS viewer - can anyone assist ?
Rob-G

Thanks, I have downloaded DATAKAM Viewer and I will test it out soon - I will do another trip tomorrow to see if it records to the SD card without the jerkiness it gave today. I have reformatted the card in the dashcam again, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
As the manual/users guide is basically useless, can anyone suggest where I can download a better english copy from ?
Is the red flashing circle in the top left corner of the LCD a "recording" indicator, or does it indicate that NO recording is taking place ?)
Thanks for the info.
Rob-G

red circle indicates recording. if the circle is not blinking, no recording is taking place.

you should also see the timer showing the footage being recorded in hours, minutes, seconds.

red circle indicates recording. if the circle is not blinking, no recording is taking place.

you should also see the timer showing the footage being recorded in hours, minutes, seconds.
I bought the same camera only yesterday and have exactly the same problems. The cam started once the ignition turned on but didn't automatically record, so I pressed the record button, the flashing red dot appeared indicating it was recording, everything was fine until I braked, then it stopped recording and would only restart if I pressed the record button. I had the motion detector on and figured this maybe the cause. So today I tried again with the motion off, also with loop recording set to off. Now the camera started up with the ignition and started recording directly, no stopping under braking or when I stopped at a junction or signal. However I noticed that the recording would reach 10 minutes then start again from zero, why ??? Does it record in 10 minute bursts ??? I haven't checked the playback yet to see if the video is recorded in 10 minute segments - this would be crazy ??? But at least this time it didn't stop recording and captured the whole journey from start to finish although in potentially 10 minute segments ??? I am using a sandisk 32 Gb card that I formatted in the unit. I will update once I view the files.

Yes this cam records in ten minute clips when set to continuous recording. This is how I use this can. I too have a 32gb sandisk.

I never had those issues or any issues with this cam. I run it 24/7 but I use a portable power brick (not the car wiring) .

S
Yes this cam records in ten minute clips when set to continuous recording. This is how I use this can. I too have a 32gb sandisk.

I never had those issues or any issues with this cam. I run it 24/7 but I use a portable power brick (not the car wiring) .
So if it records in ten minute clips what's the point of the loop recording set to ten minutes, does this mean that after every ten minute clip it will overwrite that last clip ??? I still see this as a crazy feature, and why not just have loop recording that overwrites once the card is full, with the recording starting from the beginning of the card and always preserving the last xxxhrs of recording - like a flight recorder on an aircraft always has the last 25 hours of flight data ???

If you set to loop record for ten, five,or whatever, the footage is overwritten. Say you loop for five minutes, once that five minute interval is up,footage is overwritten. If you have g shock enabled and the cam detects a shock, that footage is saved in the event folder and thus is protected from being overwritten.

If you set to constantly record, the footage is in ten minute clips and continues that way until card is full, then oldest clips get overwritten. The pano g does 30 minute clips if set to constant record.

The cams have to break these into clips so that older clips can be easily overwritten instead of the entire file if recorded in one long take. Each cam does this differently. Gopro cams do the same thing.

Las
If you set to loop record for ten, five,or whatever, the footage is overwritten. Say you loop for five minutes, once that five minute interval is up,footage is overwritten. If you have g shock enabled and the cam detects a shock, that footage is saved in the event folder and thus is protected from being overwritten.

If you set to constantly record, the footage is in ten minute clips and continues that way until card is full, then oldest clips get overwritten. The pano g does 30 minute clips if set to constant record.

The cams have to break these into clips so that older clips can be easily overwritten instead of the entire file if recorded in one long take. Each cam does this differently. Gopro cams do the same thing.
last question then - if loop is selected off does it stop recording when the card is full, or does it begin recording from the beginning of the card I.e oldest footage gets written over automatically?

Thanks Dionic, perhaps you should consider publishing a user guide as the one provided is pretty useless :))
It also appears - from watching various you tube clips, that what is provided with the camera - leads etc - isn't always the same, mine came with one clamp, the power lead for the cigarette lighter and a USB lead only, whilst others got 2 clamps (different types), as well as a Hdmi cable and audio/video phono lead

Yeah there's so many clones of this cam and others as well. It comes down to the seller's feedback as to where to purchase. This is a budget cam for sure.

To answer your question, yes if set to continuous (loop off) recording, once the card is full, it starts to record over older clips.

Would be cool if this cam could accept larger capacity cards. That's the only thing I don't like about this cam.

Ok, I did the drive/trip test this morning using the unbranded 8gb microSDcard and all worked fine - wrote all files to the card with no jerkiness in the video.
Now all I have to do is find some setup details to get the GPS side working - I assume that it will show me details of my trip on a map ? I am using the DATAKAM Viewer V5.9.0.0.0
Can anyone give me some steps on setting up the GPS ?
Thanks all
Rob-G
:)

8th Oct 2014
I have a GS8000L with the GPS (the model with the silver lens), which hasent worked correctly from day one.
It will record for a short time then stop (I get a varifying size Red Dot on the LCD which I assume is telling me its stopped recording to the SD Card?), but if I leave it go, it then starts to record again, and then stops again, which is repeated over and over.

Have you found the answer to this problem or is my useless GS8000L due for the rubbish tin ?

Rob-G
Australia.[/QUO
8th Oct 2014

Rob-G
Australia.

Sorry for the late reply. I changed the SD card to a well known brand 32GB and it works perfectly now. San Disc or Samsung Cards seem to be fine with it.

10 min recording clips are to large. Go for 1 minute recording clips. Set to 1080p.
Could be the car charger might be sliding in and out of the car cig lighter.

Try a usb charger in the car sig lighter which is a cheaper option than a battery charger.
Make sure you get a usb car charger that is certified. Many aren't and can cause a car dashcam to stop
working or destroy the dash cam.

Back