GS9000 GPS suction mount issue

mariomart

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini, Viofo A119 V3, Viofo A119S V2
Hello,

I received my GS9000 from Foxoffer.com today. I haven't had a chance to install it yet (delivered at 6PM), but I did connect it to a 12v source to charge the battery, format the card and apply the correct settings. One thing I noticed is that whilst handling the GPS/mount was that the power light would fluctuate and go on/off, as well as the GPS connection, dependent on how I held the unit. It appears that the connection between the GPS and the mount is marginal at best ( I did try jiggling the power connector and the usb plug but they were fine ).

Has anyone else had issues with their GS9000 unit? My next trick might be to clean up the terminals in the mount and GPS to see if it improves.

I'll get it mounted tomorrow and I upload a test clip to Youtube at some time.

Cheers :) Mario

Mine is doing the same thing, except now that I've clipped it and unclipped it a few times, it won't make a connection unless I apply pressure to it... so basically its useless. Only had the thing a few weeks, not impressed with the QC/design.

mariomart said:
Hello,

I received my GS9000 from Foxoffer.com today. I haven't had a chance to install it yet (delivered at 6PM), but I did connect it to a 12v source to charge the battery, format the card and apply the correct settings. One thing I noticed is that whilst handling the GPS/mount was that the power light would fluctuate and go on/off, as well as the GPS connection, dependent on how I held the unit. It appears that the connection between the GPS and the mount is marginal at best ( I did try jiggling the power connector and the usb plug but they were fine ).

Has anyone else had issues with their GS9000 unit? My next trick might be to clean up the terminals in the mount and GPS to see if it improves.

I'll get it mounted tomorrow and I upload a test clip to Youtube at some time.

Cheers :) Mario

Do you get a power on screen when this happens? (the car picture)
If not the GPS is probably just losing signal, the rubber part needs to be pointing upwards.

Since installing it in my car it hasn't given me any problems. I don't remove the unit, just the card, when I want to view footage.

I agree that the design could probably do with a little more thinking. They should have used a metal saddle design like a camera flash saddle. At least that design has been in use for a very long time and the bugs ironed out.

Probably this issue may have not been solved for you up to now.
I also have the GS9000 from FoxOffer and got the same problem. The contact between suction cup and camera body is very poor and unstable. I have made some tests and found that the system is very sensitive to voltage drop on the power lines. So, high contact resistance will reduce source voltage and prevent the battery to be charged, or indeed may influence GPS reliability (synchronization). But I can offer you the ultimate solution :)
It is easy to overcome that issue if the USB connector on the camera body is used to provide the power supply. Not by that only, otherwise camera would not start with ignition but with the menu procedure as on PC, but additionally by the source through the main connector on the mount. That means, by using a special Y type USB cable (similar, not identical as used for high current accessories for laptops). This cable is connected such both connectors get the power, but with less voltage drop, because of the lower resistance of the body connector.
I have constructed such a cable and you can make it for your own, it's simple. The only special thing is a mini-USB extension cable which uses all 5 wires (not 4 as usual). Together with a part of an standard mini-USB cable you can build the Y type version.
Look at my WebSpace at http://www.reinhardweiss.de/german/gs9000.htm, there you will find a short discussion (in German only) concerning this issue, a downloadable wiring diagram and via link an instruction manual of how to make (with many pictures, easy to understand although in German).
I am using this cable and I am happy with it. Even GPS sensor seems to be more reliable and quicker to synchronize. Try it. To understand the background it is recommended to translate the papers if necessary.

Reinhard

Back