GS9000 MPH firmware hack?

Chad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS9000/F9 (junk)/F900L/V2000GS/V5000GS/Panorama 2s/Mobius
I just purchased a GS9000 on aliexpress and was wondering if anyone has firmware re-write instructions on how to change the speed from KM/h to MPH ? Also, there was some talk about the GPS location not being accurate? I've never played around with firmware before and I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any advice? Also, is the mapping software a downloadable program or does it come with the camera? I have not received the camera yet but I will do a full review and post some day / night vids on youtube when I get it. From the pics on aliexpress it seems all the menus are in Russian. I hope I will be able to change it to English....not sure how I will be able to navigate there when I don't understand one word in Russian !?!?!? Here is a link to the one I purchased...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Amberall ... 26127.html

My current setup is a carcam like the one below. I'm very happy with the quality of it, but I really want the GPS / speed display on the screen while recording. That is the main feature that made me upgrade. This one may become my rear facing cam, or I might put it in my wife's car...not too sure yet.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Real-HD- ... 18921.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: GS9000 purchase...firmware hack?

firmware hack for MP/H, not likely something you could do yourself

the language setting is usually in the second menu (will probably have some type of icon at the type to indicate settings) and normally the first or second option, if you get stuck post a pic of the menu

Thanks for the help with the menu...I'll post some pics once it comes in ...hopefully soon !!! Someone else told me their 8000 has a mph option in the menu so I'm hoping the 9000 is the same.

Chad said:
Thanks for the help with the menu...I'll post some pics once it comes in ...hopefully soon !!! Someone else told me their 8000 has a mph option in the menu so I'm hoping the 9000 is the same.

it's firmware dependant so depends what the manufacturer has offered

Ahhh gotcha. Now I'm worried because I was just looking over the ad and it doesn't say that the speed is displayed on the screen while recording / playback. It just says an external module is supported. I don't even know what they mean. The wording is so hard to understand on some of these ads. :roll:

Chad said:
Ahhh gotcha. Now I'm worried because I was just looking over the ad and it doesn't say that the speed is displayed on the screen while recording / playback. It just says an external module is supported. I don't even know what they mean. The wording is so hard to understand on some of these ads. :roll:

yeah Chinglish is not the easiest to decipher sometimes :)

OSD speed display is pretty common, so hopefully your ok there although maybe not so beneficial if it's in KM/H, even less so if it gives you the numbers without specifying that it's KM/H not MP/H as some models do, if it does have this function you may at least have the option of turning the display off, I'm sure you wouldn't like to show the file with 88 on it when you were doing 55 MP/H

the data is collected by the GPS regardless so it would be possible to overlay the information later if it was really important to have that

Lmao, chinglish that's funny!!! Yeah, I would definitely not like it to show 88 if I'm only doing 55 ...never even thought of that (not displaying km/h.) So yeah if that was the case I would more than likely turn it off.

Thanks again for all your help with this!!!

Chad said:
Lmao, chinglish that's funny!!! Yeah, I would definitely not like it to show 88 if I'm only doing 55 ...never even thought of that (not displaying km/h.) So yeah if that was the case I would more than likely turn it off.

Thanks again for all your help with this!!!

no problem, please post back with your thoughts once you get it, I'm sure others will find your opinion useful also

Definitely will!!! I'll put some 'real world' night and day vids up also. Seems like it has still not even shipped out, still getting the 'awaiting shipment' status. Apparently the entire country takes a week off for New Years??? Must be nice. :roll:

So yeah if that was the case I would more than likely turn it off.

Chad said:
Definitely will!!! I'll put some 'real world' night and day vids up also. Seems like it has still not even shipped out, still getting the 'awaiting shipment' status. Apparently the entire country takes a week off for New Years??? Must be nice. :roll:

I wish it was a week off, most industries are impacted for a whole month

Finally received a response to my email asking about the km/h to mph issue and I was told there is no way to change it. I'm pissed, that was the main reason for me upgrading. Oh well, I guess it's my own fault I should have asked before I purchased it. :roll:

Chad said:
Finally received a response to my email asking about the km/h to mph issue and I was told there is no way to change it. I'm pissed, that was the main reason for me upgrading. Oh well, I guess it's my own fault I should have asked before I purchased it. :roll:

Do you think there's much of a market there for Chinese cams that offer mph display?

jokiin said:
Chad said:

Do you think there's much of a market there for Chinese cams that offer mph display?

Why not? Just about everything else converts to metric. From automobiles to digital thermometers (Fahrenheit to Celsius). :? Why even offer the on screen menus in English if this was the case.

Chad said:
jokiin said:
Chad said:

Why not? Just about everything else converts to metric. From automobiles to digital thermometers (Fahrenheit to Celsius). :? Why even offer the on screen menus in English if this was the case.

the markets where cams have been popular initially are all metric, the majority of sales are there so that's what most manufacturers have focussed on

reason I asked is that I manufacture cams and have mph support, don't currently sell in USA or UK but two market's I've been looking at to see if it's worthwhile doing or not, was just interested in your thoughts on market interest in your country

If there was a comparable cam as the one I just ordered and it offered MPH I would have gone with that one. It would be my deciding factor. Can you recommend any cameras that currently support MPH? I would purchase it ASAP, the one I just ordered would be a backup camera.

Chad said:
Can you recommend any cameras that currently support MPH?

I'm not familiar with what's currently available in your market but maybe someone else here can offer some suggestions

Hi Chad,

I really haven't looked for MPH since I am in Canada. But from what I recall, the following cameras do MPH:

DOD GS600
DOD GSE550
DOD GSE580
BlackVue DR400G-HD
BlackVue DR400G-HD II
BlackVue DR500GW-HD
FineVu CR300-HD
FineVu CR500-HD

I am sure there are many more.

Oh man, that is great info and very helpful...thank you so much!!!!

BUMP....anyone come up with anything for this yet? This thread makes me hopeful! This one too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back