GS90C A7LA70 with GPS - problem with GPS Data

Way_Farer

Reaction score
Country
India
I recently purchased GS90C A7LA70 with GPS module. The firmware was G90-ZX-A770-990-S7H , which I upgraded to G90-ZX-A770-1110-S7H. There seems to be a problem with GPS feed for both firmware versions.

When played back in the BlackView Player V1.0.9 the GPS track is not aligned with the road but nearly 500m off. When played on Registrator viewer V 6.0.8 the GPS position is shown correctly . However the marker remains as a big blob of green instead of a smart arrow. Changing the "Arrow on Map" setting has no effect. The track is also not marked on the map , however the large green round marker moves on the map to indicate GPS position. The speed in kmph comes up in BlackView Player though. This makes me believe that the GPS module is working correctly but the data extraction is not properly done.

The annoying static / creaking sound is audible and recorded when the charger is connected.

In my unit the speed is displayed on screen as mph and is stamped on the video as well. Is there a way to change this to kmph ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

When played on Registrator viewer V 6.0.8 the GPS position is shown correctly . However the marker remains as a big blob of green instead of a smart arrow
use Registrator viewer and make sure the satellites are well locked.
The "big blob of green" is because the signal is not well received. The antenna is on the side where it's written "GPS". Also, in order to avoid any interferences, don't place GPS antenna too close to the dashcam.

Thanks, the GPS Icon on the Dash Cam TFT screen shows solid green with several bars. Will try to reposition the antenna tomorrow and check , it is now fixed to the dashboard near the A pillar and under the windscreen with a wide view of the sky , not near the Dash Cam at all.

What is the best place to fix the antenna ?

Last edited:
What is the best place to fix the antenna ?
The dashboard should be fine. Other users have placed it on the windshield (once again: the antenna it's on the side where written GPS; some users flipped the antenna in its case).
I've tested "G90-ZX-A770-1110-S7H" but the speed is in MPH and it is always displayed (no mater if the GPS is On or OFF). Also it records in 30/60 fps independently of selection: PAL/NTSC. It is the same on your dashcam ?

use Registrator viewer and make sure the satellites are well locked.
The "big blob of green" is because the signal is not well received. The antenna is on the side where it's written "GPS". Also, in order to avoid any interferences, don't place GPS antenna too close to the dashcam.

Thank you so much , it appears that the antenna was too close to the A Pillar and not seeing enough of the sky. I repositioned it today and everything is absolutely fine with Registrator viewer.

I've tested "G90-ZX-A770-1110-S7H" but the speed is in MPH and it is always displayed (no mater if the GPS is On or OFF). Also it records in 30/60 fps independently of selection: PAL/NTSC. It is the same on your dashcam ?

Yes absolutely. There seems to be no way to change mph into kmph and it seems to be always on no mater whether the GPS is On or OFF. The same for the 30/60 fps recording as well.

The mount really does not look very sturdy. I also noticed that when the product is advertised on the Web, the ball joint of the suction cup holder seem to have a screw / tightening / locking mechanism , this mechanism is absent in my dash cam.

The Cam seems to be getting quite hot even after 30 mins of use , not sure how it will fare in prolonged use , particularly when used under the sweltering Sun of the Tropics. There does not seem to be a built in heat sink.

In my car, not when connected to GPS time.
sometimes decorated with red flashing gray.
but sometimes also connected instantly.
I wonder what could be the cause.

but sometimes also connected instantly.
it also depends on how long are the pauses between the moments you're using the dashcam+GPS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix

this mechanism is absent in my dash cam.
do you mean this screw ?
rt0D60jzTVyNf2oi

Last edited:
Lately I am observing that when viewing Dashcam footage from my GS90C with GPS (A7LA70) in the "Date,Time" section , the date is defaulting to 2005 for files that have GPS logs associated with it. The date set in the Camera is correct and the actual file names , which have the date and time stamp embedded are correct. For mp4 files saved before the GPS lock , the "Date,Time" is shown correctly and in sync with the file name. As soon as the mp4 has a GPS log recorded , the date is defaulting to 2005.

This was not happening earlier , I tried to play back some old recordings , recorded several months before , and it is having the same issue now. However earlier it used to display correctly.

When the footage is viewed via the BlackView Player - the "date/time" is shown correctly. I have attached two snapshots from Registrator Viewer as well as BlackView Player that illustrates the issue.

It does not look like an issue with the GPS unit as the data is shown correctly in BlackView Player. I am using a Win 7 x64 system and have tried viewing the files in two different Win 7 x64 Laptops with the same issue persisting in both . The version of Registrator Viewer is same 6.0.0.8 since mid 2014. To the best of my knowledge the external GPS antenna does not have a built in battery that can die and old recordings that displayed correctly earlier is showing the same error now.

Since nothing has changed except regular Windows updates and the information showed up correctly earlier - has any Windows update changed the way Registrator Viewer interprets the GPS Date information ? Anyone noticed this ?

RegistratorSnapShot.JPG BlackViewPlayer.JPG

I checked and the Time&Date are properly displayed on Registrator and Win 8 x64 (!! with some hour-shift depending on the selection "Time Zone")
Could you upload a video sample to test it on my computer ?

Back