GS90C Customizing firmware using A.F.T.

mph1Cam

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi all,

I am curious, if anybody did a customizations in their's GS90C firmwares using current version of A.F.T.

I've tried to replace the start-up and shut-down screens, but my attempt was not successful.
What I did?
- downloaded the latest firmware available (1138)
- updated my camera with this stock firmware - success. Swapped from the chinese language back to my native one, set all my settings and everything worked as expected
- I've decompressed the downloaded firmware by AFT 1.3.2 ("Open->A7 binary", "Partitions->Extract all", "ROM/RFS->Extract ROM to disk")
- searched the start-up and shut-down screens LINGDU_ON.jpg and LINGDU_OFF.jpg
- created my own images and saved them in the same format and same name as the original images (720x480px, 72dpi, JPG format)
- replaced the original images in the RTOSFS folder with these my ones
- compiled back the modified firmware ("ROM/RFS->Build ROM from disk", "Build->Firmware Update")
- uploaded the firmware to the camera SD card and run the update
The update did proceed (steps 1/6 - 6/6 - camera shut-down), but nothing changed - my settings remain untouched and the screens are not changed

Is here anybody who successfuly customized their firmware this way? Or miss I something important?

Or miss I something important?
The pictures you'll need to change are in other locations but I don't know where :p. Anyway it seems there is a new firmware, maybe this one has the same structure as the older ones.

Thank you for your reply.
I've checked the whole \RTOSFS folder and there's no other location, where the pictures may reside. At least no reachable location.
The folder contains these, which are displayed on my cam, and many other images for other brands (Prestigio, Ambarella and more).

Just view all .jpg in the \RTOSFS folder and remember the file name of yours display logo used to be shown while power on or off then replace that one with your new ON/OFF pictures.

Just view all .jpg in the \RTOSFS folder and remember the file name of yours display logo used to be shown while power on or off then replace that one with your new ON/OFF pictures.

Thank you for your tip.

These steps from my original post did exactly what's your advice:
- searched the start-up and shut-down screens LINGDU_ON.jpg and LINGDU_OFF.jpg
- created my own images and saved them in the same format and same name as the original images (720x480px, 72dpi, JPG format)
- replaced the original images in the RTOSFS folder with these my ones

mine are C6000A_ON.jpg and C6000A_OFF.jpg for start up and shutdown respectively.

Yes, my tip: you are using the 1110 firmware?
I am using the 1138 and my start-up/shutdown images were changed to LINGDU*.jpg

mine is 1138 (metric)

Did you tried to replace the images? With success? Where did you get your firmware, because mine is from the Shenzen DOME (these well known google docs links), and after update to the 1138 my startup/shutdown screens changed to the LINGDU ones.

Did you tried to replace the images? With success? Where did you get your firmware, because mine is from the Shenzen DOME (these well known google docs links), and after update to the 1138 my startup/shutdown screens changed to the LINGDU ones.
The images in the folder rtosfs, (LINGDU_ON and LINGDU_OFF) are not the start/shutdown images.
THEY ARE ...my mistake
@Tobi@s did a great job with AFT, but either the searched images are not JPEG or ...something else (I don't know). 100 % all the JPEGs are extracted from the firmware. Anyway, @Alexxx2 wrote that his dashcam come with the version 1156. I asked him to make a backup, but I think he forgot :(.

Last edited:
from @Mtz as mentioned in the first post of @Tobi@s's A.F.T. thread is completely wrong?
No, it's not wrong. Following those steps you can change any file from rtosfs, then the re-packing of RFS.a7s is done accordingly. If you search in the main .bin file (without decompiling) you'll find the same number of jpgs as those extracted in rtosfs.

Ok, then please tell me why my start-up and shutdown pictures are not changed? What's wrong?
Please, see my another posts according to my use of AFT with my camera
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ella-firmware-editor.6029/page-19#post-160135
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ella-firmware-editor.6029/page-21#post-161145
If you say that the LINGDU screens aren't those which the camera uses, then the guide is wrong. There's no other suspicious files for start-up/shutdown screens other than these LINGDU ones.
Do you use the 1138 FW? Did you tried to change the screens?
There are my start-up and shutdown screens after 1138 FW update:
LINGDU_ON.orig.jpg LINGDU_OFF.orig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is here anybody who successfuly customized their firmware this way?
Ok, then please tell me why my start-up and shutdown pictures are not changed? What's wrong?
  • I edited the version 1138 and updated the dashcam from 785. The firmware wasn't installed properly and I thought the problem is a coruption of the file (because of some unknown causes). I had to use DirectUSB to recover the dashcam.
  • I edited the 1138 and then updated the dashcam from the original 1138. There was no change after in the Startup/Shutdown images. I repeated the process, thinking that by mistake I used the original firmware.
  • Searching in the original bin firmware and counting the jpgs, everything was fine: the bin was completely unpacked.
  • Using autexec I run some comands, but I couldn't see any change.
  • I then changed all the jpeg with their name, packed a new firmware and installed on the dashcam. Strangely, the new images were changed
JeYfbMsyAHH6Yhq0
87ixPjd77LGR6nG7

• I changed again those images with something else, updated the firmware and the above images (the black with text on them) remained as startup/shutdown
  • I came back to 785 and then updated to 1138 using the modified firmware. The result was corrupted: locked buttons, strange noise, some icons, etc.
aTUwqAxVWgVbwVk8
ha8U3LSahQUfPYT4

So, I think the AFT 1.3.3 doesn't work properly with this version of firmware.
Maybe I succeeded in changing those images because their size was smaller than the original files

Last edited:
Is that possible to make the camera record video at 24 frames per second using AFT ? I've set bitrate 1.5 times higher and gained a noticeable increase in picture quality. So, my thoughts are to decrease the number of frames per second in order to get higher bitrate per frame. That makes sense in terms of software media compression, but I'm not good on details of how does hardware works.

• I then changed all the jpeg with their name, packed a new firmware and installed on the dashcam. Strangely, the new images were changed
I don't understand very well. Do you mean you replaced ALL the jpeg's with yours custom white-on-black LINGDU ones?

• I came back to 785 and then updated to 1138 using the modified firmware. The result was corrupted: locked buttons, strange noise, some icons, etc.
Same here, but luckily my recovery went fine using 1110/1138 original firmwares.

Thank you for good work and confirmation of my own observations.

Last edited:
Maybe I succeeded in changing those images because their size was smaller than the original files
Nice to have thoughts the same. But this idea seems not to be right. I've tried to change the JPEG's compression to have the new file sizes as close as possible to the originals. The resulting difference was about of 200 to 400 bytes smaller files than originals and still no success.

I don't understand very well. Do you mean you replaced ALL the jpeg's with yours custom white-on-black LINGDU ones?
No, I simply batched all the JPG with a custom black background and their name written on them with white font. It's not likely I was going to change by hand all the pictures :p.
Same here, but luckily my recovery went fine using 1110/1138 original firmwares. ...Thank you for good work and confirmation of my own observations.
In fact I saw this problem many weeks ago (in May I think) and without knowing that someone else had a similar problem, I thought I made a mistake.
Also, I haven't received any alarm about your post on this issue
I definitely realize, that AFT 1.3.2 does not work with my camera.
I've tried to change the JPEG's compression to have the new file sizes as close as possible to the originals. The resulting difference was about of 200 to 400 bytes smaller files than originals and still no success.
Ok, try again, but this time change all the pictures. Here you have the archive with all the pictures already changed: https://copy.com/8TMHBIwRjeuPWPLf

• I edited the version 1138 and updated the dashcam from 785. The firmware wasn't installed properly and I thought the problem is a coruption of the file (because of some unknown causes). I had to use DirectUSB to recover the dashcam.
  • I edited the 1138 and then updated the dashcam from the original 1138. There was no change after in the Startup/Shutdown images. I repeated the process, thinking that by mistake I used the original firmware.
  • Searching in the original bin firmware and counting the jpgs, everything was fine: the bin was completely unpacked.
  • Using autexec I run some comands, but I couldn't see any change.
JeYfbMsyAHH6Yhq0
87ixPjd77LGR6nG7

• I changed again those images with something else, updated the firmware and the above images (the black with text on them) remained as startup/shutdown
aTUwqAxVWgVbwVk8
ha8U3LSahQUfPYT4

I tried to change start and shutdown images C6000_ON/OFF files in 1138 version , after installing from card it looks like your last two images, buttons not worked, when i tried to update firmware from card, desktop is changed to black and i can only reset , is any way to get it back ?
I use this manual to changing https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rella-firmware-editor.6029/page-7#post-101302 and edited this version https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw8LfG-2RaLhQUlOQ3BOai00Ymc/edit?pli=1

=============================================
DirectUSB solved my problem, now i will try it again

Last edited by a moderator:
So now it is harder, update steps were only 5/5 against 6/6 . now cam doesnť work, is not able , to reset, turn on, or got boot mode ... very strange ... battery very hot, after cut battery wire and connection is batery cold. After pushing any button or conneting to PC is battery very warm ... and i only uploaded 2 pics in the firmware .... so i think it is KO and need order new one , no more customization, only OEM and verified firmware vesions only in future

Last edited:
Back