GT550WS or G1W or GT680W - what shoul i buy?

bbrys

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi, i want to buy one of this.
Video quality is most important for me, price od the second place.

Is the quality of Gt550WS much better than G1W?

Which should I buy? ($50 for G1W sounds great. Gt550 is $95 and Gt680W costs about $90)

Thank you.

I just bought the G90 and its pretty solid so far; the only grip I have so that you can't seem shut off the screen while driving which causes a safety issues for me not to mention possibility the law. It's about the same price as the gt680w; I kind of wish I had gotten a dashcam with a GPS.

I just bought the G90 and its pretty solid so far; the only grip I have so that you can't seem shut off the screen while driving which causes a safety issues for me not to mention possibility the law. It's about the same price as the gt680w; I kind of wish I had gotten a dashcam with a GPS.

I don't know the menu on the G90 but initially I had the same issue on the GT680W with not being able to turn off the screen since it is a bit counter-intuitive. Under the menu setting "Screen Saver" there are 4 options - Off - 3 minutes - 5 minutes or 10 minutes. One might easily think that "Off" means "off", but no, it means "always on" and so it will keep the screen display illuminated full time. If instead you choose say, 3 minutes, the screen will go dark in 3 minutes. If your menu is similar, try that and see if it might fix your problem.

Last edited:
Guys i'm not asking about G90 :/

Hi, i want to buy one of this.
Video quality is most important for me, price od the second place.

Is the quality of Gt550WS much better than G1W?

Which should I buy? ($50 for G1W sounds great. Gt550 is $95 and Gt680W costs about $90)

Thank you.

The G1W can offer excellent value for the money but there are now many versions being offered by different manufacturers of questionable quality. Yes, The GT550WS and GT680W will be better than the G1W. The components and the build quality will be superior. They are made by Shadow/SeeZeus and as such are a "name" brand. If you buy either of these models from a reputable vendor like FoxOffer you will end up with a better product than a generic no-name G1W. A vendor like FoxOffer will also work with you if there should be a problem. "You get what you pay for", as they say.

Last edited:
I see that you recommended the GT680W over the GT550WS without giving any reasons. Why do you feel the GT680W is a better cam? I am not saying it is not, but was curious why you thought so.

I see that you recommended the GT680W over the GT550WS without giving any reasons. Why do you feel the GT680W is a better cam? I am not saying it is not, but was curious why you thought so.
The video quality will be the same, But the GT680W much smaller and discreet than GT550WS and cheaper in most cases.
That's why most people recommend to buy GT680W and not GT550WS.

I just checked our GT680W all black with white lettering after about four months of ignoring it.

If I recall correctly, we are using firmware version 2.7. I use a transcend class 10 32 gb memory card.

The GT680W and GPS antenna is mounted out of drivers sight behind the review mirror.

I have it hardwired with an "add a fuse" connected to a slot on the fuse box that energizes with the ignition using the provided plug and an aftermarket socket held together with a few wraps of electric tape. Surprisingly, the provided cable is sufficiently long to run from the fuse box in the center console, through the dash, up the side pillar and across to the rear view mirror.

I turned off the greeting, set screen saver (?) to 3 minutes and record at 1080 & 30 fps. It fires up with the car, turns of the screen a bit later and shuts down when I park.

The memory card stored the most recent trip without flaw and the files loaded easily with complete GPS info on more than one program. The oldest file was commensurate with the memory capacity indicating the "rollover" is working correctly.

The difficulties noted in my earlier threads have more to do with proceeding with a hard wire install without working out functionality while loose. The biggest frustration was not realizing the GPS antenna must have the correct side facing satellites. I could complain about the included instructions, but I rather suggest patiently pursuing all menus and configurations by trial and error until your expectations are satisfied.

Thanks for the info on the GT680W. I am trying to decide between the GT550WS and the GT680W. I first had my heart set on the DOD LS330W. Then I saw the article that was saying the GT550WS was the no brand clone of the LS330W. After thinking about it I decided to take a chance on the cheaper GT550WS. I started looking online for information/reviews and was surprised how sparse it was on this dash cam. I started to wonder if sites are not reviewing it because it was a weak model.

I heard the mov files created in the GT680W would play in the DOD Player; does anyone know if the GT550WS has the same format and will also play?

I went to Amazon and was going to pull the trigger on the GT550WS (Prime Version) and found it was out of stock. After a little looking around I saw they were being sold through a California based company called GameTronex. I asked them some questions via their online chat found on their website. They were super nice and very knowledgeable. They were offering a 6 month warranty on cams they sell. Is this standard?

Does anyone know if gametronex is a good online retailer to go through? I would rather ask around prior to ordering than get burned on support of a DOA unit.

If anyone else has any input as to why I should either not get the GT550WS or why the GT680W would be a better choice, I am all ears.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
russ331 What Should I Buy? 12
Back