GT680W crash

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Hi folks,

My GT680W seems to keep crashing - it was really playing up earlier bit after formatting the memory card it seems to have stabilized.

When it goes you get noise on the screen like an old analogue tv picture that wasn't tuned in.

Is this normal or have I got a lemon?!

I have the card hooked up to a Mac and did wonder if maybe the metadata files OSX creates confuse it.

It's firmware 2.6G and is the black GPS model.

It's in the back window (which is factory tint) so shouldn't be getting warm - especially not with UK weather!

Thanks in advance

Also a daft question - are there two models of this or of I buy one without GPS will it still take the connector?

I'm guessing I'm the only one who's had the GT680w crashing issues then? I've got another arriving today so will see how this one behaves :)

Have you tried yo make firmware reset ( factory default restore ). Is this noise on the screen of gt680w or on videos you playback on pc?

Hi Niko, how are you? Thanks for the reply - so far I've reset the device to factory defaults and also formatted the memory card multiple times.

The camera has crashed on me tonight again - basically you get white lines and then full on random noise on the device screen and the red light becomes constant and nothing is recorded to SD.

I've had another GT680W arrive today so I'm going to test this one to see if it shows the same problem.

Memory card wise it's a class 6 Kingmax memory card as supplied by E-Prance via Amazon - I've not run this one through h2testw just yet but have just hooked it up to see if the memory card is ok :)

Ok the card tested successfully in h2testw with a read speed of 19.6MB/sec and a write speed of 13.6MB/sec so it's more than enough for the bitrate of the GT680w.

I'll get the new one in the car tomorrow and see how it goes!

The videos playback perfectly on the PC - basically suddenly lines / noise appears on the screen and it hangs / locks up.

The last file recording when the camera crashes isn't playable on PC or Mac.

Reinstall firmware might fix it

I've got to admit I've read the main GT680W thread and I'm confused about firmware versions.

The highest numbered version seems to be 2.7G, yet there are posts saying that 2.2G is newer than 2.5G, 2.6G and 2.7G which were beta.

The later posts seem to suggest that 2.6G is the latest stable version now, and the devices both shipped with that.

The FAQ on here says that 2.8G is the newest version but only has a copy of 2.7G. Confused :)

I've got to admit the new one hasn't crashed in the menus yet which the old one did, so it very possibly is pointing towards a hardware fault on the original.

I'll be putting the same 32GB card in for testing today so will let you know how I get on :)

version numbers aren't indicative of date unfortunately, the numbers can depend on which hardware version you have, silver/black, black with printing, all black, confusing at best

Thanks Jokiin, it's the black device with the white writing - it's shipped with 2.6G on this one, and I've just mailed Nancy to see what they currently recommend.

To be fair if this camera is stable with the picture quality of the previous device I'll be happy :)

It did crash in the menus too so I'm guessing maybe a manufacturing fault when the camera flexed or hit a bump driving. Either way I'm getting lots of experience quickly with dash cams :)

Nancy came back to say that 2.6G is the latest version for the camera I have so that's up to date. I've got to admit it behaved this morning - I'm still stuck in the office so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like on the way back :)

Well the replacement GT680W has been flawless in operation - tried the original again today with some more memory cards but this is what happens:

This dodgy one is off back to Amazon this week.

[Quote = "niko, publicar: 63334, miembro de: 1443"] ¿Has probado yo crea restablecimiento del firmware (predeterminado de fábrica restaurar). Es este ruido en la pantalla de gt680w o en videos que reproducir en el PC? [/ Quote]

hello greetings niko. niko one question, I want to update my firware 2.2 gt680w silver. that firware your RECOMMEND. my gps does not work, only the satellite icon appears in search mode flashing all the time and then nothing happens, you saying niko. Thank you.

Back